SaltCritters.com

Mark's Nanobox Powered 40B -retired-

markalot

Moved this from the 150. I had Sympodium way back when I had my 20 long and killed it. Over a year later this showed up at the nearby LFS for $15. Really nice sized frag, and looks great under LED.

Yr9w5j.jpg

So you have Seafoam Pallys? GET THEM OUT NOW. In case there was any question. I'm curious why they look so good in this tank but bigger, browner, and uglier in my 150 under T5. You can see some nice orange skirt pallys, Magician, and a few Tubbs Blue managing to hang on.

9Rrsz5.jpg

I need more Acans in here. This colony has been growing well since I added it and always has good color.

dNWMCs.jpg

Since the glass is so clean I must do a corner shot. :) Unfortunately you can see the reflection of the larger tank as well.

3DnUYc.jpg

Great tank! Everything looks so healthy. You have so much diversity in there. I am always afraid to mix things up to much and have things fight. Very beautiful!

• Like 2

Great tank! Everything looks so healthy. You have so much diversity in there. I am always afraid to mix things up to much and have things fight. Very beautiful!

Thanks!

So I was upset at my AquaC Remora skimmer because it wasn't doing anything it seemed, taking a week to fill the cup halfway. I decided to feed some Reef Roids in here since my tests for nutrients is always 0 and within 2 days the cup is over half full. This might explain all the pale corals.

• Like 2

Took a side shot of the Nepthea for someone. Golly, this looks pretty damn good. :D

k38u6E.jpg

Neptheas are indeed my favorite softies. The neon green ones especially. i wish they had more offered on like la or bz in different colors.

• Like 5

Got some good shots of PuttPutt Too, finally. I think he might be hunting feather dusters along with flatworms. Plenty of both in here. He's not very shy anymore.

The eye stripes don't line up in this picture, it bothers me. :owned:

WEkgm3.jpg

NAULYf.jpg

c2rfus.jpg

I moved a blue tip acro frag and my pagoda cup in here. The blue tip has been having constant issues in the 150 so it now must face the goby, who's already humped it once. That'll teach it.

Pagoda Cup

840rqV.jpg

FTS Note still very little color on the birdsnest polyps.

Jfmp0e.jpg

• Like 5

Everything is looking so good. Maybe that is just the color the birds nest is? It is still very pretty and healthy looking.

• Like 1
Slowtwitch

Mark,

I just recently put a possum wrasse in my tank. Looks just like yours. What a cool little fish. Always hunting in the rocks. Wish I could get him to hold still for 5 seconds to take a picture

• Like 1

Everything is looking so good. Maybe that is just the color the birds nest is? It is still very pretty and healthy looking.

Thanks! I've had both those birds for a while. The smaller one, middle back, should have bright green polyps all over. The bigger one, that is more orange, is a green tip birdsnest, sometimes called a sour apple birdsnest. It's a favorite of the wife so I keep it alive. When it's at its best the polyps are green at the tips, blue in the middle, and the skin is a good orange.

Mark,

I just recently put a possum wrasse in my tank. Looks just like yours. What a cool little fish. Always hunting in the rocks. Wish I could get him to hold still for 5 seconds to take a picture

Just make sure it can't jump out. They don't look like jumpers but that's how I lost the first one.

• Like 2
Slowtwitch

Thanks! I've had both those birds for a while. The smaller one, middle back, should have bright green polyps all over. The bigger one, that is more orange, is a green tip birdsnest, sometimes called a sour apple birdsnest. It's a favorite of the wife so I keep it alive. When it's at its best the polyps are green at the tips, blue in the middle, and the skin is a good orange.

Just make sure it can't jump out. They don't look like jumpers but that's how I lost the first one.

I keep a screen over the tank when I 'm not around. I don't trust any fish not to jump.

• Like 1

I have found with the birdsnest that even a few inches up or down make a huge difference in how they do and how they color up. I have one with green polyps as well. It was not as green when it was on the top of my rock work. I moved it down mid way and now it is very green and growing much faster.

• Like 1

I have found with the birdsnest that even a few inches up or down make a huge difference in how they do and how they color up. I have one with green polyps as well. It was not as green when it was on the top of my rock work. I moved it down mid way and now it is very green and growing much faster.

Good to know. Both of these have lived under a lot more light, I mean 400+ PAR SPS type of lighting so I suspect it's me not feeding enough because I'm afraid of another algae outbreak. It will be interesting to see if they color up now that I'm feeding more and including a pinch of Reef Roids every other day.

Still, I've always had issues with nano tanks just like this, something I just don't get. :)

• Like 1

Good to know. Both of these have lived under a lot more light, I mean 400+ PAR SPS type of lighting so I suspect it's me not feeding enough because I'm afraid of another algae outbreak. It will be interesting to see if they color up now that I'm feeding more and including a pinch of Reef Roids every other day.

Still, I've always had issues with nano tanks just like this, something I just don't get. :)

Just my opinion but I think you do fine with nanos. :) I read thru your thread and other than algeas and a few mishaps that we all have now and again, it has done well and looks really great. I had a 29 once as well and had algea issues in it but fed really heavily and was not as good about tank maintanince as I am on the tank I have now. I still enjoyed it so much and it was a really great tank. Always looked good dispite the algea. That tank handled neglect really well for some reason. I had T-5s over it and every thing grew well including just about every kind of algea. :)

• Like 1

Just my opinion but I think you do fine with nanos. :) I read thru your thread and other than algeas and a few mishaps that we all have now and again, it has done well and looks really great. I had a 29 once as well and had algea issues in it but fed really heavily and was not as good about tank maintanince as I am on the tank I have now. I still enjoyed it so much and it was a really great tank. Always looked good dispite the algea. That tank handled neglect really well for some reason. I had T-5s over it and every thing grew well including just about every kind of algea. :)

I have T5's over my big tank and I love them, much better for growing SPS. On this one I'm all LED and I own a PAR meter and I still can't seem to get the light dialed in. :D I like the way LED makes some corals look, though. A lot more pop than T5.

Here's both under Maxspect Razors in my big tank. Orange on the left, green in the center/right. At some point I knew how to grow them. Frustrating.

o3kmcL.jpg

• Like 1

Wow! Very nice. My green birdsnest looks alot like yours.

Sometimes we will never know what the change is, when a coral does well in one system over another. It could even be a coral warfare type thing effecting a coral in one tank and not another. They are still healthy looking in your 29 gallon just not as colored up.

I really liked my T5's as well. I was trying to watch my budget this time around and knew I would not have to change bulbs and such for years. I do like my LED's though even though they are not very powerful as most other LED's offered on the market.

• Like 1
Nanofreak79

the photons colors really look good, esp considering what they cost vs the alternatives.

do you use any other KZ stuff in this tank? I have been debating on trying out triton system or just sticking with my usual routine of throwing whatever snake oil coral supplements i deem cool enough in but it seems like it may be a pita to purchase all the necessary micro dosed stuff along with the regular stuff.

Totally my methodology. Lol I have bought the blue bottles, but only a few that I've read about for people not doing the true, full blown zeo. I also have a few bottles of snake oil that I use, and my fave reef roids.

Got some good shots of PuttPutt Too, finally. I think he might be hunting feather dusters along with flatworms. Plenty of both in here. He's not very shy anymore.

The eye stripes don't line up in this picture, it bothers me. :owned:

WEkgm3.jpg

NAULYf.jpg

c2rfus.jpg

I moved a blue tip acro frag and my pagoda cup in here. The blue tip has been having constant issues in the 150 so it now must face the goby, who's already humped it once. That'll teach it.

Pagoda Cup

840rqV.jpg

FTS Note still very little color on the birdsnest polyps.

Jfmp0e.jpg

Great shots, I love your tanks, mark. I have a nice green nepthia myself, yours has great color,

Oh, and the possum is cool fish. Never got one I heard they were pretty shy? No

• Like 1

Great shots, I love your tanks, mark. I have a nice green nepthia myself, yours has great color,

Oh, and the possum is cool fish. Never got one I heard they were pretty shy? No

Thanks man. He's not as shy as the last one, but so far hasn't gotten into it with any other fish. When another fish comes around he casually swims to a corner and comes back out once they leave. My other one, who was a slightly different species, would tail slap the Basslet. They use their tails in all kind sof interesting manner. Fanned out it looks like a normal tail, but they keep it closed up and the last one seemed to use it either as a decoy or a stinger, or a decoy stinger, or something. :D

• Like 3

With less than a week of coral feeding I'm already seeing some good changes. Cyano has cropped up, but that was expected since I moved some things from my cyano farm into here. Green polyps now showing up on the green birdsnest, and some darkening of a totally bleached rainbow milli. Biggest change has to be the slimer, which has returned to a bright green that is so much better than the green under T5's.

YJ3ptN.jpg

• Like 6

He was a hitchhiker that I did not notice when I bought it. It's the same family as an acro crab, same species as far as I know.

New FTS after everything settled. PO4 and NO3 is 0 so i actually dosed a little nitrate to see what happens. Get ready for algae explosion! :D Corals are bleached, but seem healthy.

LpshBO.jpg

My new little wrasse is getting braver. The flash did not fire for whatever reason. It's what I really dislike about this Nikon camera, given a must have shot something will fail for no apparent reason.

TkYqL3.jpg

Puttputt Too is just like PuttPutt one, he never eats any food I feed but is getting fat.

I love your names. And yah, you need to name the acro crab for sure!

Took a side shot of the Nepthea for someone. Golly, this looks pretty damn good. :D

k38u6E.jpg

I will agree :) That's an awesome shot! All the colors :wub:

• Like 1

Glad to hear the new heavier feeding is bringing back the colors to your coral. I think I am going to try to find a green slimer. Everyones is so....well green!