SaltCritters.com

Mark's Nanobox Powered 40B -retired-

markalot

You dont run a HOB filter do you? Or do you just have a HOB skimmer?

I have an old HOB Fuge+skimmer and I just run the fuge part with nothing in it except a temp probe and the topoff output. I also have the HOB skimmer I run 18 hours a day.

• Like 1

Few pics. This tank remains fun to spot odds and ends, and the darn thing keeps producing new stuff.

Where did this birdsnest come from?

3XV17i.jpg

This beast is alive, and snaps up tight whenever I clean the glass. Some kind of bivalve?

GFkWDx.jpg

Peering below the torch, back on a rock with a few shrooms I've had for 2 years now and these green pallys I've had for almost 3 years but, unfortunately, are not invasive like the seafoams.

TKagEA.jpg

Green poci is starting to regain color.

9DdDo9.jpg

The big shock was over the last week the ponape birdsnest suddenly gained color.

94QuJe.jpg

• Like 4

Looks great! I love those mushrooms :wub:

Thanks, yea, easy care corals!

This tank looks really really good under blue light, and you can't see the algae. :D I need more orange.

lQ323r.jpg

• Like 5

Really like your Ponape. I am having no luck looking for one locally. Going to have to break down and place an order from somewhere to get one. Is it true they like lower light compared to other birds?

• Like 1

Really like your Ponape. I am having no luck looking for one locally. Going to have to break down and place an order from somewhere to get one. Is it true they like lower light compared to other birds?

Yea, big time. I have a half dead piece in my big tank and it's healthiest in deep shade! It took me forever to find one locally but one day the local store got an ORA order in and had one, got lucky. It broke off the plug and the one in here grew from a little stub. :D

• Like 1

Mark honestly this tank is the one that got me into the job a few weeks ago. I just saw a random post on this website and I clicked on it and I re read your entire post. It's amazing what some time and care for the hobby can do. I was going to ask when you had your 20 long what's the light that you had on it? If you did not know I'm looking at building a 20 long and I need a good light.

Mark honestly this tank is the one that got me into the job a few weeks ago. I just saw a random post on this website and I clicked on it and I re read your entire post. It's amazing what some time and care for the hobby can do. I was going to ask when you had your 20 long what's the light that you had on it? If you did not know I'm looking at building a 20 long and I need a good light.

Howdy, thanks for the compliment.

I used two 2 bulb 30" T5 fixtures from Current USA that held 24" bulbs. They were on legs and I didn't have a PAR meter at the time but that was probably way way too much light. Those fixtures are huge and I had to remove them to access the tank. Just a horrible idea. :)

Howdy, thanks for the compliment.

I used two 2 bulb 30" T5 fixtures from

Current USA that held 24" bulbs. They were on legs and I didn't have a PAR meter at the time but that was probably way way too much light. Those fixtures are huge and I had to remove them to access the tank. Just a horrible idea. :)

Thanks for the help on what NOT to do. I need something cheap but not so cheap it won't grow anything. I was thinking the Current Orbit Marine pro led but I've heard from other people tht you can get better lights for the same price which is around 270. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the help on what NOT to do. I need something cheap but not so cheap it won't grow anything. I was thinking the Current Orbit Marine pro led but I've heard from other people tht you can get better lights for the same price which is around 270. Any thoughts?

I think anything Current makes is complete crap and I would avoid it. I had the version prior to the PRO and LED's had burned out within 3 months. I will not buy anything from them again. It could be a great light, but I don't like their LED choices.

Personally I would spend the bucks on an ATI T5 fixture, but I understand if funds are limited. The ReefBreeders Photon over this tank now does a pretty good job, is cheap, well built, and has violet LED's (critical for full spectrum IMO. The value fixture is good as well, but no timer and is simply on/off with two outlets.

Good luck! :)

• Like 1

I suppose the big anemone is red/orange, but where the heck am I going to put him?

O4LD6Q.jpg

Caulerpa tower on the left will be placed in the 150 to be cleaned, and that might be a good spot for the anemone with some careful re-arranging. It will be interesting, that's for sure.

• Like 1

New scape, for the moment anyway.

dv8OSP.jpg

The anemone does not look too bad.

C1yMiZ.jpg

4DZG0g.jpg

If he expands full size there goes half the tank. :)

You can see the increased colors on the corals due to me decreasing the light cycle so the tank gets 12 hours of pitch dark.

• Like 6

I wish I could figure out how to get the nems to stop moving around in my tank. The BTAs that went in several months ago have never stayed in the same spot for more than a week. They don't usually move far, but I'm nervous putting anything anywhere near their rocks for fear they are going to sit on it. Rock flowers have been especially active lately as well. One moved over the entire tank over the last two weeks (including up the glass) and finally settled back where it was originally.

• Like 2