Top Shelf Aquatics

Arkayology's Rimless 40g

Arkayology

googled that up..Wow! That really does look like a nice field microscope! I want one for home. Hmmm...

Ya, it will be great for taking pictures of the seeds that I collect from the archaeological sites I study. For the price, you can't beat them.

• Like 1

Would you all believe that I haven't done a WC in over a month? :D

You have an awesome tank! Is there a real need to add supplemental lighting?

The supplemental T5s are just to help with the shadows where the LEDs cannot reach.

• Like 2

Looking at the Two Little Fishes Phosban reactor vs Cadlights Conic biopellet reacted with GFO. have cyanobacteria on some weird broad leaf algae, can't decide which way to go, the Cadlights one looks better and if I ever want to go biopellet way, can do.

PO4 is reading at 0.04 ppm. Do I even need it?

• Like 1

Looking at the Two Little Fishes Phosban reactor vs Cadlights Conic biopellet reacted with GFO. have cyanobacteria on some weird broad leaf algae, can't decide which way to go, the Cadlights one looks better and if I ever want to go biopellet way, can do.

PO4 is reading at 0.04 ppm. Do I even need it?

If you are asking me (which you are :D ) I wouldn't completely trust the P04 reading. What test kit are you using to measure phosphates? On the surface, I would not say that it is needed at .04ppm. However, the fact that you have cyanobacteria says that there is some phosphate coming from somewhere that is being used up. You could try biopellets. There is a new nitrate/phos reducing biopellet out that looks interesting.

If it were my tank, I would start running GFO and see where there gets me. IMO, get the cheaper TLF reactor and some GFO first. Try siphoning the cyano as well to help remove more nutrients.

and we have eggs! Not a bad size clutch for a first time.

photo-8.jpg

Thanks man! I figured people would be bored by my research and whatnot. I can post pics of where I am and the stuff I am doing if y'all want. :)

Thanks man!

Yay, they did it :happydance:.

wow...maybe mine have had eggs, you can hardly tell that's what they are :).

• Like 2

Travel safe and have a good time.

Yay, they did it :happydance:.

wow...maybe mine have had eggs, you can hardly tell that's what they are :).

Congratulations on the first egg clutch papa! Have a safe trip to Peru.

Thanks everyone! I will try and keep you all updated on what is going on with the tank and Peru as things progress!

• Like 2

I raised clowns once from my mated pair of tomato clowns. I read Joyce Wilkerson's book, "Clownfishes" and did everything she said. I successfully raised about 7 but it was a lot of work and I couldn't keep a rotifer culture from crashing to save my life so I only ever did it once. Its worth while to give it a try. My clowns layed eggs twice a month for years until I sold them.

• Like 2

Man! Next time you gotta try and save some. That's so cool

I don't really have the time or space to raise clown fry. I bet if my pair start laying regularly, someone would want to buy them to breed though.

I raised clowns once from my mated pair of tomato clowns. I read Joyce Wilkerson's book, "Clownfishes" and did everything she said. I successfully raised about 7 but it was a lot of work and I couldn't keep a rotifer culture from crashing to save my life so I only ever did it once. Its worth while to give it a try. My clowns layed eggs twice a month for years until I sold them.

Ya, I may sell them so someone can take advantage of the fry. They would go to waste in my tank.

• Like 1
jedimasterben

Not much money to be made IMHO, unless you are breeding the 'in' fish and selling small quantities. Not usually worth it for the home hobbyist.

Not much money to be made IMHO, unless you are breeding the 'in' fish and selling small quantities. Not usually worth it for the home hobbyist.

Ya, mine are just some picasso clowns, and not that great of a grade I think. It doesn't much matter to me either way.

Certainly no reason to sell them, then, especially after having had them for a while. :)

Ya, they haven't become super aggressive so I think I will be keeping them around for awhile. I have little interest in adding new fish anyways. They all seem to get along very well.

I don't really have the time or space to raise clown fry. I bet if my pair start laying regularly, someone would want to buy them to breed though.

Ya, I may sell them so someone can take advantage of the fry. They would go to waste in my tank.

I put so much work raising into raising those 7 baby tomato clowns that I preferred giving them away to friends rather than selling them to the LFS for $5. I do still have one that I kept. Anyway the fry that hatched there after were fish food for my cardinals who were only all too eager to oblige!

How's Peru?

It's OK. I have been pulling 9 hour days working on collecting my plant remains. Here is a pic of the site where I work.

image004.jpg

Here is the town where I live while I am down here

imagen-214.jpg

and here is an example of what some of the plant remains look like from the sites I study

carbonized.jpg

i'm one bite away from selling my clowns.... i can't stand the fact i can't do anything in the tank without getting attacked by my clowns. <_<

I had a pair like that once. These ones seem content to not bite the hand that feeds them :)

I put so much work raising into raising those 7 baby tomato clowns that I preferred giving them away to friends rather than selling them to the LFS for $5. I do still have one that I kept. Anyway the fry that hatched there after were fish food for my cardinals who were only all too eager to oblige!

That's noble of you. It should be rewarding to know that those fry are out there in other people's tanks.

• Like 7
Cameron6796

I'd love to do bangaii cardinals since they are endangered it would be awesome to help stop wild collection of them and they are one of the easiest to breed.

• Like 2