Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Arkayology's Rimless 40g

Arkayology

IMG_2742.jpg

Looks amazing!!!! So I see the green birdsnest. Is the mother colony of the pocillopora frag you gave me on the left? Right below the midas blenny in this photo???
  • Like 2

Looks amazing!!!! So I see the green birdsnest. Is the mother colony of the pocillopora frag you gave me on the left? Right below the midas blenny in this photo???

It sure is, Gena!

Looking awesome as usual. That Monti is a beast. :lol:

Ya, I just fragged it. It's a monster!

Wow, Need a bigger tank!

My fiancé would kill me! Lol

• Like 1

Great! So the color of mine is pretty close then. I was wondering how I was doing keeping it looking good :).

Ya, it is bulletproof. Just don't come crying to me when it becomes enormous and takes over your tank! :)

• Like 1

How is the coral food coming along?

I think that my corals enjoy it. Maybe I am doing it wrong but I never get a feeding response beyond normal PE, but I think it helps keep the PE as good as it is. :)

What do you think, Kat?

LOL, I sorta wanted the colors to look better on a couple things. I would hate for you to see brown in my tank!

After looking at the pictures I have come to the conclusion that you don't know what color brown is. To help you out, brown is exactly the color not found in your tank.

Looks great. Your fiancé did a wonderful Job.

• Like 4

I got my Apex Auto Feeder on Friday and has a chance to hook it up this morning. This is a cool little piece of hardware that I should have bought a long time ago. It is a little noisy, but it will be a life saver. I can now have someone come over every 4 days and check on the tank rather than feeding every day when I am out of town. I have found that with my NLS pellets, the lowest feed setting lets out the right amount of food. I have it set up to feed once a day right now, and will up that to twice a day when I am out of town.

After looking at the pictures I have come to the conclusion that you don't know what color brown is. To help you out, brown is exactly the color not found in your tank. Looks great. Your fiancé did a wonderful Job.

Hah, thanks man but I assure you there is some brown. Specifically, my pink lemonade acro and SSC have lost a lot of color. I have had some swinging parameters too I think, as my dkh was 6.4 (due to a clog in my doser line) and my Ca was probably in the neighborhood of 700 (overdosing) when I got back. I am trying to get these to normalize right now. I lost some tissue on the undersides of a couple of acros because of these swings/high numbers. I also had some acros that stung each other and killed a couple of branches unfortunately, but that will happen I guess.

All in all, it is as good as I could hope for though!

• Like 1

You can also set up your apex to slow your pumps and shut off the return pump for a certain amount of time when you feed with that.

Yup. I will play with it a little and see what I come up with. It will be tough with the jebao though. I don't have a cord to control it via a VDM port yet.

I sold the lumenbright mini and ballast. I just didn't think I would set it up anytime soon and I don't have the space to store things. I think I am going to figure out a way to retrofit a couple T5 bulbs. That will fill in the shadows and make me happy, I think.

The only thing that is holding me back is figuring a way to mount it with my radion so that is doesn't look like garbage. I want some kind of metal rack to attach everything to, but I think wood would be easier to work with.

• Like 2

Those units are compact and prob the best best. I am with you, I was thinking of running two aluminum bars across the radion holes and then mounting the t5s to the bars.

• Like 1

The only thing that is holding me back is figuring a way to mount it with my radion so that is doesn't look like garbage. I want some kind of metal rack to attach everything to, but I think wood would be easier to work with.

You could make a floating canopy and hide everything in there. That's what I'm going to do. Ive decided i want 2 more t5s. I'm going to add two 36' bulbs so I cover the entire length of the tank.

I love the canopy and look of this build! It's a shame to hide the nanobox fixture, but this looks so nice!

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/311514-schreibas-83g-miracles-rimless-40x24x20/page-4

P.s. Tank ain't going anywhere ;)

• Like 1
Go big or go home. What happened to 4 more bulbs. Then use the 2 24 inchers for actinic bulbs.

Whoops I meant to say 2 pairs. Yes I will have six bulbs in total. Prob overkill, but why not :)

• Like 1

Those units are compact and prob the best best. I am with you, I was thinking of running two aluminum bars across the radion holes and then mounting the t5s to the bars.

I saw some nice looking retro kits on BRS. I may just order one of those.

You could make a floating canopy and hide everything in there. That's what I'm going to do. Ive decided i want 2 more t5s. I'm going to add two 36' bulbs so I cover the entire length of the tank.

I love the canopy and look of this build! It's a shame to hide the nanobox fixture, but this looks so nice!

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/311514-schreibas-83g-miracles-rimless-40x24x20/page-4

P.s. Tank ain't going anywhere ;)

I may look into doing something like that.

Whoops I meant to say 2 pairs. Yes I will have six bulbs in total. Prob overkill, but why not :)

Theres never too much!

• Like 1
You know what I saw last week??? The most stunning reef tank I have ever seen. Hands down! It was a sps tank, but there was some scattered lps and softies. The tank is running LEDs, t5, and halides. I would never think it possible to put that much light on a tank. It was a 5 foot tank with 4 60' t5, 3 radions, and 2 halides. Not only was the actual look and spectrum of the light amazing, but like I said it had the most colorful sps I've ever seen. Unfortunately I was not allowed to take pictures, and he would never post on forums. It's usually the case with people with his knowledge. For him to get on a reef forum and have people tell him he's doing it wrong, would prob drive him nuts.

I saw some nice looking retro kits on BRS. I may just order one of those. I may look into doing something like that. Theres never too much!

;)
jedimasterben

You know what I saw last week??? The most stunning reef tank I have ever seen. Hands down! It was a sps tank, but there was some scattered lps and softies. The tank is running LEDs, t5, and halides. I would never think it possible to put that much light on a tank. It was a 5 foot tank with 4 60' t5, 3 radions, and 2 halides. Not only was the actual look and spectrum of the light amazing, but like I said it had the most colorful sps I've ever seen. Unfortunately I was not allowed to take pictures, and he would never post on forums. It's usually the case with people with his knowledge. For him to get on a reef forum and have people tell him he's doing it wrong, would prob drive him nuts.

You probably didn't actually read what I linked, so I'll give you the gist - total photosynthetic activity goes down as you add more light over the saturation point, which is less than 200 micromols of PAR for most coral, and some SPS and soft corals can go up to around 400-450 PAR. Anything beyond that is 100% wasted effort as the corals desperately try to get that light away from them to avoid damage to the photoreceptors of the zooxanthellae.

• Like 3