inTank Media Baskets

Arkayology's Rimless 40g

Arkayology

I'd love to do bangaii cardinals since they are endangered it would be awesome to help stop wild collection of them and they are one of the easiest to breed.

That would be cool. You should!

Nice to see pictures of where you are and what you're doing! Do you feel a lot of earthquakes there?

I have not felt any so far!

Eyyyyy Columba looks like broken peanut shells?

Good guess! They are the remains of the stoney fruit of the Schinus molle tree. If you drive around the southwest, you may see some growing. They were imported from the Andes by the Spanish. They have a peppery smell/taste and can be used for a variety of things.

• Like 1
Arkayology

My fiancé said that the tank was a little fishy smelling today. She said that everything looked normal though. I guess the "dirty" water conditioning that I have been doing for the past 5 months has helped everything in the tank deal with my absence well enough :D

However, I think I forgot to put fresh carbon and GFO in the chem bag I use passively when I was getting the tank ready for my absence. Should I order something like chemipure elite so that it will be an easy rinse and drop into the sump to help keep the tank a bit cleaner until I get back at the end of the month? I don't want anything too technical for her as I don't think she is confident enough to load a reactor or anything. Thoughts?

Arkayology

I hate that fishy smell, maybe just use some carbon, less is more.

I would normally use carbon and/or GFO in a chemi bag, but I don't want to have her do more work than she has to. I want it to be as easy to do as possible. Also she does for the tank when I am gone is feed the fish and put fresh water in the ATO reservoir.

Maybe a bag of the new chemipure stuff with purigen in it?

Which product is that specifically? The chemipure blue?

Arkayology

I helped her figure out adding a chem bag of some carbon and a little GFO. No need for buying something new...

but.... I am thinking about getting a neptune auto feeder to help feed the tank while I am gone. Thoughts on the Apex AFS?

I helped her figure out adding a chem bag of some carbon and a little GFO. No need for buying something new...

but.... I am thinking about getting a neptune auto feeder to help feed the tank while I am gone. Thoughts on the Apex AFS?

Love it, honestly. I had to adjust mine with a piece of tape to limit the feeding (the smallest settting was too little). When I leave for a few days I just turn up the feeding times, or if I am out I hit up fusion and feed the fish.

• Like 1
Arkayology

its amazing..... :)

Thank you!

Damn! Looks killer. When you back home for good?

Thanks man! I'll be back in a couple weeks. I have quite a bit of data collected, but I have a few more sites to look at before I am done.

Wow. That's incredible!

Thank you!

I assume the wife took the pic. Just keep the tank alive for a little longer. :D

Yes sir! She is doing a great job with the tank so far.

Dude... Nice reef.

Thanks man!

Awesome. I can never get iPhone photos of my stuff without it being way too blue.

It is not the best quality, and I would prefer my DSLR, but I will take what I can get with my wife taking the pics :)

Lovely Indy, really lovely :)

Thanks, Christine! It looks pretty good in my absence. Not too much longer!

• Like 4
Arkayology

Some real good growth there!

Ya, almost all the SPS are growing really well. I have a couple that are not showing much growth yet, but they will come around.

• Like 1
Arkayology

Did you order metal halide? How's it going?

Thanks for asking. I found a lightly used lumen bright mini from a local, but I have not hooked it up yet. The connector that came with the fixture does not fit my lumatek ballast. I am not really good with electrical work, so I am hesitant to splice the cord or connect a lumatek cable to the socket assembly to hook it up. I think I am going to sell the the fixture, ballast, and bulbs.

Cool pics of the site. Would love to see more. How old are the plant remains?

Thanks. I will see about getting some more up for you all. The plant remains I am looking at date from 600-1,000 A.D., but I have looked at some from other sites that are a bit older.

• Like 1