Pod Your Reef

Arkayology's Rimless 40g

Arkayology

Iphone pic of my reef.

10524444_630388969429_70407089_n.jpg

Looking beautiful!!! She's doing a great job. And sending nice pictures too :).

How's Peru? Really hot and humid? It's been really hot and humid here!

• Like 1
Arkayology

Looking beautiful!!! She's doing a great job. And sending nice pictures too :).

How's Peru? Really hot and humid? It's been really hot and humid here!

Ya, she is doing a great job. She is a keeper for sure!

The part of Peru I am in is in the far south near the Chilean border. This part of Peru is a desert, right next door to the Atacama Desert in Chile, one of the driest places on Earth. It is their winter, so it is pleasant enough. Always sunny with a high of 85-90 or so, and very dry. It gets down into the 40s at night though, so it is definitely an environment of extremes.

• Like 1

Ya, she is doing a great job. She is a keeper for sure!

The part of Peru I am in is in the far south near the Chilean border. This part of Peru is a desert, right next door to the Atacama Desert in Chile, one of the driest places on Earth. It is their winter, so it is pleasant enough. Always sunny with a high of 85-90 or so, and very dry. It gets down into the 40s at night though, so it is definitely an environment of extremes.

Interesting. I really dislike dry air. I do much better with humidity :).
  • Like 1

Interesting. I really dislike dry air. I do much better with humidity :).

Then you wouldn't like south or central Peru. The Amazon side is nice and humid, however. I prefer dry heat if I have to be hot, so it agrees with me very well.

Dr.Brain Coral

Thats cool about your plant remains and where you are digging. I have wanted to be a Paleontologist since I was like 3 years old haha. But lately I have shifted interests since it is SOOOOOOO hard to get a job as a paleontologist.

• Like 1

Man in 6 months your tank is going to be packed.

Ya, things are starting to get cramped already. I still want to get a couple more SPS frags to round out my collection, but I literally have nowhere to put them. My frags have all turned into small colonies and are taking up a lot of space. I have been considering selling the rock with all the AOG zoas and the sunset monti so I have more room, but that rock has been with me for 5 years so... I don't really want to get rid of it. It is also where my clowns are laying their eggs. I guess I will just work with what I have :)

In 6 months? It's packed now :lol:

True! Things are spreading out a lot lately. It is going to be crazy when I get home and I start testing. I bet the Ca and Alk consumption will considerably higher then when I left. I'm dosing about 40ml of each solution a day. Maybe time for a Ca Rx by Christmas.

Thats cool about your plant remains and where you are digging. I have wanted to be a Paleontologist since I was like 3 years old haha. But lately I have shifted interests since it is SOOOOOOO hard to get a job as a paleontologist.

Ya, it is hard to get a job in academia period. I have a lot of loans from grad school and undergrad as well, but I am hopeful that I can find a professor position somewhere when I finish. That's really all I want, to teach archaeology and do a little bit of research on the side.

• Like 1
Dr.Brain Coral

I went on a dig a couple of summers ago with my dad with a paleontologist and found a complete hadrosaur vertebrae and he put it in his small museum with my name as recognition for finding it

Ya, it is hard to get a job in academia period. I have a lot of loans from grad school and undergrad as well, but I am hopeful that I can find a professor position somewhere when I finish. That's really all I want, to teach archaeology and do a little bit of research on the side.

You would be a real life indian jones

• Like 1
jedimasterben

True! Things are spreading out a lot lately. It is going to be crazy when I get home and I start testing. I bet the Ca and Alk consumption will considerably higher then when I left. I'm dosing about 40ml of each solution a day. Maybe time for a Ca Rx by Christmas.

Or use better supplements :P

First things first with a calcium reactor, gotta make sure that you have access to CO2 refills that are inexpensive, like around here I have no places that sell CO2.

DilerIndianJones-Cover-175048.jpg

:P

• Like 1

Or use better supplements :P

Hah, the ones I use work fine. I don't trust anything else :P

First things first with a calcium reactor, gotta make sure that you have access to CO2 refills that are inexpensive, like around here I have no places that sell CO2.

Ya, that's true. I know there are some welding shops around me, but I don't know if they sell. I will have to ask around to see what other reefers in the area use. I still don't know if I want to use a CaRx or not, but I have heard that once people use them, they don't go back. They are great for heavily stocked or large tanks.

DilerIndianJones-Cover-175048.jpg

:P

LOL

• Like 1

I went on a dig a couple of summers ago with my dad with a paleontologist and found a complete hadrosaur vertebrae and he put it in his small museum with my name as recognition for finding it

That's cool. Even though I don't study dinosaurs, I did TA a dinosaur morphology and evolution class last quarter. I know a bit of about vertebrate morphology, so it really is the same thing.

Real archaeology is tedious and dirty. I spend most of my time either digging, writing, or at a microscope looking for plants in soil samples. It. It is hardly the life of Indiana Jones, but I like to think that we're no less awesome than he is :D

Dr.Brain Coral

Thatsreally cool you took those classes,

That's cool. Even though I don't study dinosaurs, I did TA a dinosaur morphology and evolution class last quarter. I know a bit of about vertebrate morphology, so it really is the same thing.

Real archaeology is tedious and dirty. I spend most of my time either digging, writing, or at a microscope looking for plants in soil samples. It. It is hardly the life of Indiana Jones, but I like to think that we're no less awesome than he is :D

More awesome than indy.

Still looking great!

Thanks man! I may have some bryopsis issues when I get home, but it seems to be isolated to the frag rack from what my fiancé tells me. Still, everything is doing well except my derasa clam. It just never got better when I switched out the radion for T5s 5 months ago now. It has slowly gotten worse and worse and I have no idea why. The crocea looked bad for awhile, but bounced back just fine.

My Radion mysteriously froze/stopped working yesterday. It had power, but the light was not going through it's program. I had my fiancé unplug it and replug it in, and it started up, but at 100%. It really isn't possible to guide her over the phone to reattach the Radion to the WXM module so that I can reprogram, and she doesn't own a laptop to use the ecosmart utility. I have it plugged into my EB8 and have a 4 hour time where the light is on at 100% and off for the rest of the day.

Granted I am not happy about this, but the corals are healthy and may not show much stress from all the added light (My program maxed at 50% for several hours). It is the best I can do until I get home in 10 days. I wish Ecotech would make it so that I could attach things via Fusion and not have to be on my home network to access the rest of the features.

jedimasterben

Going from 50% peak to 100% peak for the same amount of time per day all at once, I can't say that good things will come of it, but my fingers are crossed that it won't be that bad for ya :(

Going from 50% peak to 100% peak for the same amount of time per day all at once, I can't say that good things will come of it, but my fingers are crossed that it won't be that bad for ya :(

Ya, I don't know either man. I am going to hope that things will not be too bad when I get back. I really don't know what other choice I have. I figure 4 hours at 100% and the rest of the day dark is the best solution short of having someone come over to our place and reprogram it for me (not happening). I may have her press the manual %intensity button a few times to lower the intensity, but I don't think she will like doing that for another 10 days. She only tolerates the tank. Anything past feeding the fish and filling the ATO bucket is not really an option with her unfortunately. But, I take what I can get.

I just don't know how the Radion froze/became unattached. Everything else is working fine and there were no power outages or anything.

jedimasterben

Ya, I don't know either man. I am going to hope that things will not be too bad when I get back. I really don't know what other choice I have. I figure 4 hours at 100% and the rest of the day dark is the best solution short of having someone come over to our place and reprogram it for me (not happening). I may have her press the manual %intensity button a few times to lower the intensity, but I don't think she will like doing that for another 10 days. She only tolerates the tank. Anything past feeding the fish and filling the ATO bucket is not really an option with her unfortunately. But, I take what I can get.

I just don't know how the Radion froze/became unattached. Everything else is working fine and there were no power outages or anything.

OH I see now, 4 hours total lighting period. While not optimal, it's the only solution and should not be too bad. I was thinking that it went to 100% for the normal photoperiod. Phew!

• Like 1

OH I see now, 4 hours total lighting period. While not optimal, it's the only solution and should not be too bad. I was thinking that it went to 100% for the normal photoperiod. Phew!

Oh no, before I had her unplug it the radion was not lighting up. Now I have it programmed on the EB8 to turn on for 4 hours. When it boots up without a program loaded, it defats to 100%. Sorry for the confusion.

If you shut the radion off via fusion then verify it's off. Turn it back to on then it should be at 100% wait a min then turn it to auto and it should resume your schedule. There's a new firmware update for the radion and vortechs out to prevent that

If you shut the radion off via fusion then verify it's off. Turn it back to on then it should be at 100% wait a min then turn it to auto and it should resume your schedule. There's a new firmware update for the radion and vortechs out to prevent that

That's just the thing. It could not control the radion via Fusion. I tried turning it ON/OFF with the switch and it did nothing. The light on top of the fixture was still on, so it was getting power but I could not control it and it was not lighting up. I had to have it unplugged and plugged back in to get it to light up.

Gotcha, that's part of the new update with rf and wxm update from Neptune and ecotech.

Ahh, I see. I guess I don't have that update.

I had the same thing happen for no apparent reason, annoying I had to reprogram everything.

Any more info on this update?