Cultivated Reef

Arkayology's Rimless 40g

Arkayology

Arkayology

I <3 you! I didn't want to buy an EB4 just to be able to run these.

Did you hook everything up?

I Run dual sicce 3.0, going on 6months, with zero maintnance, and they're still quieter than a mouse lol

Seems like Sicce is a winner. I'll probably replace my mag7 when I get back. I got the mag to stop being loud. I also installed a union to the flex pipe to make it easy to take the pump out to clean. I've been meaning to do that fur awhile now.

• Like 1
Arkayology

I bought a used MH fixture and some bulbs online today :huh:

Nah not yet. The tank is new and frags are just getting added.

Ahh, I see. GL with getting everything set up!

• Like 2

Thanks! My 1st serious SPS tank nailbite.gif

Arkayology

Someone joining the halide club?

Rejoining. I am planning on using it during the winter. No way I can use it during the summer months.

Amphiprion1

Rejoining. I am planning on using it during the winter. No way I can use it during the summer months.

I see. Have you had severe heat problems in the past with halides during summer? I figured you would've been better off than me in that regard, since Santa Barbara is milder and a lot (!) less humid than Mobile, AL.

• Like 1
Arkayology

I see. Have you had severe heat problems in the past with halides during summer? I figured you would've been better off than me in that regard, since Santa Barbara is milder and a lot (!) less humid than Mobile, AL.

Ya, it mostly has to do with my apartment and not the local SB weather. It is really mild here, but the apartments usually don't have a lot of windows, good circulation, and no AC or ventilation ever, so the hot air has nowhere to go. It is really only feasible for me to run the halide for 5 or 6 hours when I am not home and then have a couple T5s or LEDs to light the rest of the day.

Plus, my fiancé does not like the heat. If it were just me, there would be no issues :D

Why are you dumping the radion? I constantly think of going back to t5.

Arkayology

Why are you dumping the radion? I constantly think of going back to t5.

I'm not dumping the radion completely. I want to run the halide in the winter. I miss some of the colors I was able to get with the halide. I am doing really well with LEDs, but the colors are different.

Funny,

I'm scheming how to keep my Maxspect Razor and still get some T5 lighting over my 40. Not a lot of room to work with.

Maybe the lime LED's are the answer, but don't tell anyone I said so. :o

• Like 1
Arkayology

Fair enough, you see the new radion mount?

http://reefbuilders.com/2014/05/29/radion-mounting-system-sleek-light-arm-ecotech-marine/

I need this

A lot of money for something I already have. It would help minimize the amount of tubing and wires though.

Funny,

I'm scheming how to keep my Maxspect Razor and still get some T5 lighting over my 40. Not a lot of room to work with.

I was actually planning on getting some T5s for the LEDs from Dave, but I will have to wait awhile on those I think. This is just a good deal that I couldn't pass up. I will probably hold onto it for setting up a larger tank, but it will be interesting to see how the corals respond when I get it up and running in October/Nov. I will probably still get some T5s to go with the Radion, however.

• Like 1
Ya, it mostly has to do with my apartment and not the local SB weather. It is really mild here, but the apartments usually don't have a lot of windows, good circulation, and no AC or ventilation ever, so the hot air has nowhere to go. It is really only feasible for me to run the halide for 5 or 6 hours when I am not home and then have a couple T5s or LEDs to light the rest of the day.

Plus, my fiancé does not like the heat. If it were just me, there would be no issues :D

Wait people live without AC? Pretty sure I would melt :).
  • Like 3

I was actually planning on getting some T5s for the LEDs from Dave, but I will have to wait awhile on those I think. This is just a good deal that I couldn't pass up. I will probably hold onto it for setting up a larger tank, but it will be interesting to see how the corals respond when I get it up and running in October/Nov. I will probably still get some T5s to go with the Radion, however.

Well, to be fair, I'm holding off for a month or so to see how the BuildMyLED 20K 'Halide like' spectrum does on the front of my tank. It was produced to mimic the spectrum and look of the 20K bulb, but of course the actual curve is nothing like a Halide bulb. I've never run Halides and I doubt I ever will, but I may supplement with T5's because the color choices provide so many options.

I miss Coral+.

• Like 1

I'll be posting some pics tomorrow!

Well, to be fair, I'm holding off for a month or so to see how the BuildMyLED 20K 'Halide like' spectrum does on the front of my tank. It was produced to mimic the spectrum and look of the 20K bulb, but of course the actual curve is nothing like a Halide bulb. I've never run Halides and I doubt I ever will, but I may supplement with T5's because the color choices provide so many options.

I miss Coral+.

I would suggest trying out the T5s. I will be adding some blue+ sometime in the next couple of months I hope. Just enough light to fill in the shadows.

Wait people live without AC? Pretty sure I would melt :).

Ya, who would have thought it was possible? :D

Funny,

I see a lot of threads with lime LEDs saying they are the next big thing. Maybe they are? I haven't seen a tank lit with lime LEDs in person yet, so the jury is out for me still.

I think there will always be a place for MH in this hobby. I have used them in the past and probably will in the future at some point. I really do like LED/T5 too. :)

jedimasterben

I think there will always be a place for MH in this hobby.

Nobody believes me when I tell them that Sylvania isn't always going to manufacture vapor lighting ;)

• Like 1

Here is a bad pic of mine. Under the Radion, it gets a really light green at the base of the branches, blue on the rest of the branch, green polyps. It's hard to tell from yours.

IMG_2623.jpg

these look like Borealis to me Ark. I'm awful with SPS identification though. Here is my ORA Joe the coral. It does look a lot like cali tort which is the frag right behind it. Interesting to note, higher light makes the yellows come out, lower makes it more purple.

20140309_105713_1.jpg

• Like 1

these look like Borealis to me Ark. I'm awful with SPS identification though. Here is my ORA Joe the coral. It does look a lot like cali tort which is the frag right behind it. Interesting to note, higher light makes the yellows come out, lower makes it more purple.

20140309_105713_1.jpg

Ya, my Joe the Coral looks a little different, but I saw the plug from ORA. If you saw my colony in person, you would see the similarities between ours. I think it may just be how I light my tank?

Nobody believes me when I tell them that Sylvania isn't always going to manufacture vapor lighting ;)

Best to stock up now!

• Like 1

Colours are incredible man. :) Looks amazing.

Thanks man!

Looks really good, what colors is your radion on when you take pics?

Thanks! When I shot these the radion was at 14k @ 55% intensity.

Mr. Microscope

Last photo update for awhile

Great pics! Man that hawkins gets me every time. Why last pics for a while? Busy with graduate work?

IMG_2724.jpg

Wow! What's this one?
  • Like 1

Great pics! Man that hawkins gets me every time. Why last pics for a while? Busy with graduate work?

Ya, lots or research plans.

Wow! What's this one?

That's my Joe the Coral. It is almost true to life color. The tips are not that quite that vivid purple IRL, but the violet LEDs bring it out a lot in pics.

• Like 2