SaltCritters.com

Arkayology's Rimless 40g

Arkayology

More than likely you'll come home to a snowstorm of precipitate and the tank will be fine. I'm the resident optimist for once :)

I'm going with this fingerscrossed.
  • Like 2
Arkayology

Ok, crisis averted. No snowstorm. The tank is testing at 12.5dkh. This is very high, but I think I will just let it drop on its own vs. doing a water change and further introducing more stress to the corals. Some of the corals look a little mad, but I am still getting normal PE out of most SPS. I got lucky that my BRS dosers seem to be getting old and are not dosing as much as the should. I estimate that it actually dosed about 50ml in 110min which is a lot lower than 1.1ml/m. Upgrade maybe?

Emergency water change, and time to sweat bullets until you get home. Hate to be the one to say it but shouldn't they be on a timer to dose a certain amount, I know you've been having problems keeping alk and calc up though. Oh well what's done is done, time to fix it. GOODLUCK I hope all is well.

They are on a timer with my apex. Since I have been having issues with keeping the dkh up I have been manually turning on the pumps to help me find the sweet spot. This time I got sidetracked by my grading while in my office though. For 2 hours of dosing it honestly did not dose that much... these dosers must not be dripping as much I would imagine I guess... It might be time for an upgrade!

More than likely you'll come home to a snowstorm of precipitate and the tank will be fine. I'm the resident optimist for once :)

^ hoping for that too

I'm going with this fingerscrossed.

I had that happen once on my 60g cube. It was a snowstorm and I thought everything was going to die. Thankfully it was OK in the end.

• Like 3
Arkayology

Marine depot has 10% off now! jump on that bubble magnus doser

Ya, I saw that. Hmm

Time for the vertex libra doser, jk an ebay doser should work fine.

Perhaps.

Arkayology

Get a doser Indy ;)

But which one?

Or if you are even the least bit handy, make your own 'Drew's Doser' from legit APT dosing heads.

That is an option, though I'm looking for something with it's own controller. I want to free up some space on my EB8 without having to buy another.

Also, I saw that DIY Drew's doser thread on RC. It wouldn't save me a ton of money doing the that over getting a doser with a built-in computer to dose for me. I think the thread said they spent $120 + shipping or something for the pumps?

TheKleinReef

But which one?

That is an option, though I'm looking for something with it's own controller. I want to free up some space on my EB8 without having to buy another.

GHL :P

But which one?

Also, I saw that DIY Drew's doser thread on RC. It wouldn't save me a ton of money doing the that over getting a doser with a built-in computer to dose for me. I think the thread said they spent $120 + shipping or something for the pumps?

Stand alone GHL doser! I love mine.

Arkayology

dkh at 7pm Yesterday was 12.5dkh

dkh today at 8pm was 10.0dkh

I am losing around 5dkh a day.

Ghl is expensive. I like my BM

Do you like yours? Pros/Cons?

• Like 1

Wow that's some serious dkh usage. You will probably back to normal

Param in 1 day. That's crazy. I'm also looking into the BM. Always heard nothing but good things.

• Like 1

Do you like yours? Pros/Cons?

Ark,

I really like the BM Doser - its a set it and forget it type of doser.

Pros :

1) You can set this up to dosing small doses every hour for 24 hrs or separate the dosing though out the day (automatically done by the doser / no math required).

2) Don't have to manually dose or turn on any pumps to dose / has a clock built in and it even keep it's internal clock running if you lose power ( not sure how long it last) but I set mine up in the kitchen and it took me about an hour before I put it in the tank - which it was unplugged the whole time and it still keep the correct time when I plugged it into my apex outlet.

3) Doser works on military time (24 hrs)

4) Will dose every 5 mins per pump - meaning pump 1 will dose if set up at 11:00 AM then pump 2 can dose at 11:05 then pump 3 can dose at 11:10. I have mine set up an hour apart from pump 1 to pump 2 to prevent precipitation.

Cons:

1) Only con I can think of is you cant set it up to dose only on certain days its daily dosing.

Hope this helps - I am no way a PRO will this doser yet, but this is my own personally advise on the use of doser.

Also - here is a good review I just read on the BM doser :

http://www.3reef.com/forums/filters-pumps-etc/bubble-magus-bm-to1-doser-review-90150.html

• Like 1

I have a BM, been nothing but happy. I dose start3 (9:1) dilution, I checked the doses every once in a while and amazingly it was able to deliver the 5 ml/ day over 6 dosing pretty much spot on (5.2 mL)

• Like 2
Arkayology

Wow that's some serious dkh usage. You will probably back to normal Param in 1 day. That's crazy. I'm also looking into the BM. Always heard nothing but good things.

Yup. It is not crazy high dosing yet, but I am getting there. A better doser setup would help for sure. I just wish Neptune Systems had a doser that I could program via Fusion so I could up the dose while I was away to compensate for coral growth.

Ark,

I really like the BM Doser - its a set it and forget it type of doser.

Pros :

1) You can set this up to dosing small doses every hour for 24 hrs or separate the dosing though out the day (automatically done by the doser / no math required).

2) Don't have to manually dose or turn on any pumps to dose / has a clock built in and it even keep it's internal clock running if you lose power ( not sure how long it last) but I set mine up in the kitchen and it took me about an hour before I put it in the tank - which it was unplugged the whole time and it still keep the correct time when I plugged it into my apex outlet.

3) Doser works on military time (24 hrs)

4) Will dose every 5 mins per pump - meaning pump 1 will dose if set up at 11:00 AM then pump 2 can dose at 11:05 then pump 3 can dose at 11:10. I have mine set up an hour apart from pump 1 to pump 2 to prevent precipitation.

Cons:

1) Only con I can think of is you cant set it up to dose only on certain days its daily dosing.

Hope this helps - I am no way a PRO will this doser yet, but this is my own personally advise on the use of doser.

Also - here is a good review I just read on the BM doser :

http://www.3reef.com/forums/filters-pumps-etc/bubble-magus-bm-to1-doser-review-90150.html

I have a BM, been nothing but happy. I dose start3 (9:1) dilution, I checked the doses every once in a while and amazingly it was able to deliver the 5 ml/ day over 6 dosing pretty much spot on (5.2 mL)

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I appreciate it. I have a lot to think about now.

• Like 1
jedimasterben

Yup. It is not crazy high dosing yet, but I am getting there. A better doser setup would help for sure. I just wish Neptune Systems had a doser that I could program via Fusion so I could up the dose while I was away to compensate for coral growth.

You can't adjust your relay on/off times?

Besides, if they did decide to sell dosing pumps, they'd be like the ones Reef Angel sells - cheap Chinese dosing heads that are not reliable.

Arkayology

I'm going to see what happens for Memorial Day sales. If I can find a good deal on a BM or a GHL setup I think I may pull the trigger.

You can't adjust your relay on/off times?

Besides, if they did decide to sell dosing pumps, they'd be like the ones Reef Angel sells - cheap Chinese dosing heads that are not reliable.

I can, but the BRS dosers I have are getting old and I don't want to replace them with more BRS dosers.

• Like 2
jedimasterben

I can, but the BRS dosers I have are getting old and I don't want to replace them with more BRS dosers.

Well, then buy something better :P

Arkayology

Well, then buy something better :P

I'm planning on it! I am not sure what yet. I think that a Ca reactor would be overkill, so that leaves me with 2 part. People have been telling me good things about both the BM and the GHL. Decisions, decisions...

I think the BRS dosers are probably better quality pumps compared to most. They seem very solid construction and they also have a dimpled cover to prevent shaft wobble which seems to be the main cause for failure on these pumps. I use the relays as ben stated and just adjust the on/off time in the program. How long have these current ones lasted? For $80 bucks a piece it might just be worth it. You can use the old one to dose something else that doesn't require it to be as precise, like coral foods...

• Like 1
Arkayology

the on/off time in the program. How long have these current ones lasted? For $80 bucks a piece it might just be worth it. You can use the old one to dose something else that doesn't require it to be as precise, like coral foods...

I think the BRS dosers are probably better quality pumps compared to most. They seem very solid construction and they also have a dimpled cover to prevent shaft wobble which seems to be the main cause for failure on these pumps. I use the relays as ben stated and just adjust the on/off time in the program. How long have these current ones lasted? For $80 bucks a piece it might just be worth it. You can use the old one to dose something else that doesn't require it to be as precise, like coral foods...

They have been used for about 2.5 years. There is nothing wrong with the BRS pumps, I am just looking at other options since I want to free up some Apex EB8 space. I may keep the old ones for other stuff like Mark suggested.

• Like 2