Pod Your Reef

Arkayology's Rimless 40g

Arkayology

You should see what 2 almost 3 year olds are capable of lol. So far the only thing they've done is kill one of my starfish with a cotton ball they threw in the tank. I've found pacifiers in there though, as well as a lot of other toys that thankfully float. I'm worried one day they're going to be fighting with sticks and POOF water all over the floor fish flapping around and me running around trying to make sure they don't cut their feet open and crying at the destruction lol. I'll admit I've had nightmares.

• Like 2

You should see what 2 almost 3 year olds are capable of lol. So far the only thing they've done is kill one of my starfish with a cotton ball they threw in the tank. I've found pacifiers in there though, as well as a lot of other toys that thankfully float. I'm worried one day they're going to be fighting with sticks and POOF water all over the floor fish flapping around and me running around trying to make sure they don't cut their feet open and crying at the destruction lol. I'll admit I've had nightmares.

Wow, that is reef keeper birth control right there LOL. I'll admit I don't have too much experience with kids, but that all sounds like a plausible scenario :D

• Like 1

I think they're getting the hang of it. They know for the most part to not touch the glass now. Although I will on occasion find a tell tale tiny hand print. The first thing they do in the morning is go to the tank to look for the serpent stars. Of all the things in the tank they are most fascinated with the starfish.

• Like 1

I think they're getting the hang of it. They know for the most part to not touch the glass now. Although I will on occasion find a tell tale tiny hand print. The first thing they do in the morning is go to the tank to look for the serpent stars. Of all the things in the tank they are most fascinated with the starfish.

Well, that is good. I would worry so much about it. My fiance's friend brought her kid to our place once. They were using the edge of my tank stand to pull themselves up to see the tank and touching the glass. I almost had an aneurism lol.

• Like 2

Lol it was something new. I think my kids are just so used to it now that unless something is new they couldn't give two farts about it.

• Like 3
frankdontsurf

My kids don't go near the tank unless I'm excited about something and point it out to them. I got into this hobby thinking I'd have a cool family thing...my oldest says she wants to be a marine biologist. I'm about to sell my kids on the black market and buy some corals. :D

• Like 2
Arkayology

I just can't keep up with the Alk and Ca replacement. I am dosing a ton of solution nowadays. I don't want to have to get a Ca reactor. :(

Alk: 7.0 dkh

Ca: 320 ppm

Mg: 1400 ppm

• Like 1
natalia_la_loca

I just can't keep up with the Alk and Ca replacement. I am dosing a ton of solution nowadays. I don't want to have to get a Ca reactor. :(

Alk: 7.0 dkh

Ca: 320 ppm

Mg: 1400 ppm

That's annoying. How often are you dosing?

Arkayology

Yup, that would be a bit of a PIA. Why don't you want to get a Ca reactor?

The money up front and I really don't understand how to set them up lol

• Like 2

The money up front and I really don't understand how to set them up lol

Lol same here! When I was really testing everything everyday and not gotten so laxed about dosing cause I know I'm moving and setting up the new tank I was at 32ml a day of cal just to keep it at 400. Cal reactor someday when I understand wtf is going on with it

• Like 1
Arkayology

Lol same here! When I was really testing everything everyday and not gotten so laxed about dosing cause I know I'm moving and setting up the new tank I was at 32ml a day of cal just to keep it at 400. Cal reactor someday when I understand wtf is going on with it

Exactly lol. Wtf is a bubble count and how do the regulators work? :D

• Like 1
Reefmaster1996

I wish I had that problem lol, I'm using the Red Sea foundation stuff, despite it not bieng consumed by much yet, I think it's really potent stuff when using the dry mixed with rodi, I can bump ca 40ppm easy with 1ml of this stuff In a 60-70 gallonish system, I have no idea why but it can be highly concentrated if need be.

Exactly lol. Wtf is a bubble count and how do the regulators work? :D
You have to slowly dissolve the media with co2 bubble count sets the rate at which you add calcium to the tank, aswell as flow through the reactor, other than that idk
Arkayology

You have to slowly dissolve the media with co2 bubble count sets the rate at which you add calcium to the tank, aswell as flow through the reactor, other than that idk

Ya, I gather that much. It's just the set up and dialing in that seems intimidating.

• Like 1
jedimasterben

Ya, I gather that much. It's just the set up and dialing in that seems intimidating.

It's really not too bad from what I understand. There are calculators (I think RHF made one) to figure out the bubble rate and flow through the reactor.

If you're dosing a lot already, I would very highly recommend ditching B-ionic and using Red Sea supplements instead. 1mL of B-ionic adds 16ppm of calcium and 37ppm of alkalinity to one gallon of water - 1mL of Red Sea adds 52ppm of calcium and 468ppm of alkalinity per gallon. (I think that the alk number is off, though, 1mL raising it 468ppm is a little off the charts IMHO, but that's in their most recent user manual, so idk)

You'll be able to reduce your dosing by at least 60%, and considering that the 1kg Red Sea calcium powder is $20 and makes 2 liters of solution, that's a total of 104,000ppm of calcium, the B-ionic gives 60,560ppm across one gallon (~3.785L) and costs ~$17, you're saving quite a bit of money. :)

• Like 4
It's really not too bad from what I understand. There are calculators (I think RHF made one) to figure out the bubble rate and flow through the reactor.

If you're dosing a lot already, I would very highly recommend ditching B-ionic and using Red Sea supplements instead. 1mL of B-ionic adds 16ppm of calcium and 37ppm of alkalinity to one gallon of water - 1mL of Red Sea adds 52ppm of calcium and 468ppm of alkalinity per gallon. (I think that the alk number is off, though, 1mL raising it 468ppm is a little off the charts IMHO, but that's in their most recent user manual, so idk)

You'll be able to reduce your dosing by at least 60%, and considering that the 1kg Red Sea calcium powder is $20 and makes 2 liters of solution, that's a total of 104,000ppm of calcium, the B-ionic gives 60,560ppm across one gallon (~3.785L) and costs ~$17, you're saving quite a bit of money. :)

Very interesting I may have to look into red sea's 2 part

• Like 1
Arkayology

How did you calculate that?

Also, but what about the trace elements in B-Ionic? You have to factor in the costs of adding those as well. I am not sure how much they actually add, as they don't tell us, but they say they are present.

Arkayology

Upgrade those dosers while you're at it :)

I love my GHL's.

Jus sayin'

That's some big time $$ right there.

May have something for you this week on the secret project ;)

-Dave

Ohhhh...I likes secret projects

Can't wait to see!

jedimasterben

How did you calculate that?

Also, but what about the trace elements in B-Ionic? You have to factor in the costs of adding those as well. I am not sure how much they actually add, as they don't tell us, but they say they are present.

If they don't tell you what they are, more than likely they aren't there in the first place. Sucks, but that's the market.

Red Sea Reef Foundation part A contains calcium, strontium, and barium, part B contains bicarbonates, and part C contains magnesium.

• Like 2
Arkayology

May have something for you this week on the secret project ;)

-Dave

Can't wait to see what you come up with... on the SECRET PROJECT! B)

• Like 1