Top Shelf Aquatics

Arkayology's Rimless 40g

Arkayology

Arkayology

My Sicce is super quite.

I have also heard good things about the sicce pumps. I will look into it.

I also need to make sure that whatever I get, it is very reliable as I will be gone for 7 weeks and I don't want my fiancé to have to replace something like a return pump if it stops working.

• Like 1
jedimasterben

I have a Marineland NJ4500 if you want it. It's quiet and never had any issues from it, even when I let the entire intake get clogged up with macroalgae a few times... whoops lol

I'm sure you can't to wrong with ehiem or Sicce. They both have been known for great quality. I want to get on the dc bandwagon, but waiting a little longer. I prefer a German made product over a lot of the Chinese ones out right now.

• Like 2
Arkayology

I have a Marineland NJ4500 if you want it. It's quiet and never had any issues from it, even when I let the entire intake get clogged up with macroalgae a few times... whoops lol

Too much flow for my tank. Thanks for letting me know though man.

I'm sure you can't to wrong with ehiem or Sicce. They both have been known for great quality. I want to get on the dc bandwagon, but waiting a little longer. I prefer a German made product over a lot of the Chinese ones out right now.

Ya... I am with you on that. I am waiting to see what comes out of Germany for DC pumps before I get one. I don't want to get an untested/proven return pump.

Btw...if u want a eheim. Salty supply has 20% off on them now. They are local to me and saw the sale when I went the other day. They are also fair on shipping.

jedimasterben

Too much flow for my tank. Thanks for letting me know though man.

I valved it down to less than ~200GPH for my tank lol. My current pump, a Jebao DC6000, I believe is only running at slightly above that, in the 300-350GPH range lol.

I valved it down to less than ~200GPH for my tank lol. My current pump, a Jebao DC6000, I believe is only running at slightly above that, in the 300-350GPH range lol.

Why would you buy such a huge pump, and then valve it down to 15% of its power?

I've only been in aquarium hobby like 7 years, reefing for 3, which is nothing compared to some of you guys. Maybe I'm missing something?? I've always known it to be bad to load a pump like that.

jedimasterben

Why would you buy such a huge pump, and then valve it down to 15% of its power? I've only been in aquarium hobby like 7 years, reefing for 3, which is nothing compared to some of you guys. Maybe I'm missing something?? I've always known it to be bad to load a pump like that.

Valving a pump is just like adding head pressure to it, doesn't harm them, and their power consumption decreases considerably.

I wanted to run the pumps higher, but I am limited by drain noise. I could run both pumps full force and my drain could handle them no problemo, but the noise would be unbearable from the water falling into the sump.

• Like 1

Got ya. I'm actually in a backwards situation. I'm running around 600 gph and have to close my herbie drain like 70%. I want a bigger pump. Would love some extra flow, and using my drain system to its full potential.

jedimasterben

Got ya. I'm actually in a backwards situation. I'm running around 600 gph and have to close my herbie drain like 70%. I want a bigger pump. Would love some extra flow, and using my drain system to its full potential.

What for? There is little point in running your return pump higher and higher, if you're running a skimmer, you want to keep it rather low, no more than ~5x your display volume, otherwise, and I don't know why, skimmers become less efficient.

Well I'm getting a new protein skimmer that has a lot higher gph. I wouldn't want to go much higher. I'm already at about 5 times with head loss. Maybe just a bit more. Even the smaller dc pumps would flow more then what I have now. Guess I'll figure it out once I find a pump I want. How quite is the dc6000?

jedimasterben

DC6000 is quiet as a mouse. I've never actually heard a mouse make noise, though, so maybe mice are loud and I just didn't realize lol.

• Like 1
Arkayology

DC6000 is quiet as a mouse. I've never actually heard a mouse make noise, though, so maybe mice are loud and I just didn't realize lol.

• Like 3
jedimasterben

That video isn't available to me lol. For some reason my ISP does not load a number of Youtube videos. Probably an issue with their cache servers, they're garbage.

My mag7 return pump is rattling a bit. I am not sure if it needs to be replaced, but I may take the opportunity to take it offline and get a quitter pump to take it's place. What should I get? I have read good things about eheim pumps. Whatever I get, I want it to have a 3/4'' outlet so I can easily hook it up to my return line.

I need to also be able to get it soon because I leave for Peru in a week.

I used to run a mag 5 for 4 year and found it recently too loud and hot so I replaced it with a sicce and have been very happy. I use a sicce for my skimmer and zero reactor all quiet and reliable so far.

• Like 1
Arkayology

I used to run a mag 5 for 4 year and found it recently too loud and hot so I replaced it with a sicce and have been very happy. I use a sicce for my skimmer and zero reactor all quiet and reliable so far.

Thanks for the recommendation man.

That video isn't available to me lol. For some reason my ISP does not load a number of Youtube videos. Probably an issue with their cache servers, they're garbage.

Then you will never know the joys of mice noises.

Congrats!!

Thanks!

For your BRS dosers and Apex, did you need to buy a EB4? Since the EB8 only has two low voltage plugs? Or do they work on the other plugs?

Lovely pics as always :)

• Like 1
Arkayology

For your BRS dosers and Apex, did you need to buy a EB4? Since the EB8 only has two low voltage plugs? Or do they work on the other plugs?

Lovely pics as always :)

I had them on the two low-voltage plugs, but I was getting a little power surge or something every time the plugs turned on. I moved the dosers to another plug and put my cooling fan and return on the low-voltage plugs. I have not noticed any difference other than I am not getting a surge every time my dosers turn on.

• Like 1
jedimasterben

Then you will never know the joys of mice noises.

Well, I clicked on a couple of the 'related' videos, the first of which was a snake eating mice. They definitely made noises, but I don't think they were joyful lol.

• Like 2

I had them on the two low-voltage plugs, but I was getting a little power surge or something every time the plugs turned on. I moved the dosers to another plug and put my cooling fan and return on the low-voltage plugs. I have not noticed any difference other than I am not getting a surge every time my dosers turn on.

Thanks, was just worried they may get stuck on but it sounds like that isn't the case. Doesn't say on their webpage how much power they consume.

Arkayology

Thanks, was just worried they may get stuck on but it sounds like that isn't the case. Doesn't say on their webpage how much power they consume.

I wouldn't worry about it. They have been working fine since I switched them over.

• Like 1

I wouldn't worry about it. They have been working fine since I switched them over.

I <3 you! I didn't want to buy an EB4 just to be able to run these.

• Like 1