Pod Your Reef

Arkayology's Rimless 40g

Arkayology

Hah!

BTW, I cut those frags for you. I am having some issues with my paras (apex was not dosing after I updated to new firmware), but they should be healthy and ready to go in a week when I am passing through your area.

Awesome - yours will be ready as well! Sorry about the shrimp... Could be a lot of things - is everything else doing all right?

Do they sell a weed wacker for SPS? I need one bad. Too much stuff going into one another!

Awesome - yours will be ready as well!

Fantastic!

Sorry about the shrimp... Could be a lot of things - is everything else doing all right?

Everything seems normal, so I will just chalk to it up to random chance until something else happens.

• Like 1

It should be noted that the condition of a coral found on what we consider to be a natural untouched healthy vibrant reef is the only baseline we have for determining what constitutes a corals overall health. The closer we come to mimicking those conditions in our captive reefs, the better chance we have at keeping healthy vibrant corals. The fact is, "health" is a subjective term and often misused.

• Like 3

This is so true ^^ its hard to find an untouched reef to even define top health. Also I'd like to see you all try to get a pic of a reef as colourful as a zeovit tank I think we almost strive for artificial colours by using our lights and chemicals that make them vibrant neons and I bet if you took it outta the water it would be brownish or atleast more natural looking.post-79083-0-09585800-1407709213_thumb.jpg post-79083-0-17001200-1407709256_thumb.jpg

Basically what I'm saying is that a natural reef is natural a glass box isn't. Now don't get me wrong I'd strive for the crazy colours just stating that the few untouched reefs will be vibrant and natural while our glass boxes are almost neon and artificial.

• Like 3

I'm going to try and use epoxy putty or kalk paste to remove a large section of my sunset monti this week. It is growing to quickly and is taking up too much room. I really need to spread out my acros.

• Like 2

I'm going to try and use epoxy putty or kalk paste to remove a large section of my sunset monti this week. It is growing to quickly and is taking up too much room. I really need to spread out my acros.

Kalk paste should do the trick, I use it to kill Xenia when it pops up where I don't want it haha. Just don't be over excessive with it, it can affect your Alk.

• Like 1

Kalk paste should do the trick, I use it to kill Xenia when it pops up where I don't want it haha. Just don't be over excessive with it, it can affect your Alk.

Looking great! I love all the sps. Do you still have the kole yellow eye?

Yup! The Kole Tang is very fat and is doing very well. No signs of aggression or needing a bigger tank yet. It's not really a big swimmer. It mostly stays to the rocks.

Wish I had your problem, too much growth :)

:D The corals you don't want always grow the fastest lol

How was Peru?

It was good. I got a lot of preliminary dissertation work done. Hopefully next summer, funding gods providing, I will have money to be there for 4-5 months to collect the rest of my dissertation data sample.

• Like 2

I really want one for my new tank which will be a40 breeder but i know that tank is kind of on the small side. but I have heard they Kole tang is a pretty slow grower

• Like 1

All my corals are slow growing. Had an incident with the GFO. Followed the TLF direction of 50 g to start slow. My algae died and corals stressed after two days. Now slowly making a comeback.

Your sunset monitor is quite the specimen.

• Like 1

I really want one for my new tank which will be a40 breeder but i know that tank is kind of on the small side. but I have heard they Kole tang is a pretty slow grower

Ya, you need to get a small one and watch it closely for signs that it is stressed because of the space. Once mine gets too big, I have a friend with a 300g system that will adopt it.

All my corals are slow growing. Had an incident with the GFO. Followed the TLF direction of 50 g to start slow. My algae died and corals stressed after two days. Now slowly making a comeback.

Ya, it's easy to overdo it even with only a little bit. Been there, done that. At least we learn when we do stuff like that.

Your sunset monitor is quite the specimen.

Ya, it is a beast.

How long to get to that size?

Maybe another year. TBH, the Kole is growing pretty slowly despite having a fatty belly all day. I feed mysis, brine, and nori heavily. I would say it is about 3'' long right now.

This is exactly why I haven't stuck it on any of my rocks LOL. It sure is a pretty little frag though :). I'll figure out something to do with it!
  • Like 1

You can't frag the monti?? If I had one that big I would be fragging it every week ;) Would pay for my salt or something.

Everyone around here has it. It's also not easy to frag. Instead of coming off the rock in nice pieces, it kinda gets mushy for some reason. I have to wait for it to try to grow over stuff so that I can get a piece hard/easy enough to frag.

I have had it for almost 5 years now. I have fragged it sooooo many times, but it doesn't seem to help keep it in check. It took advantage of my being gone and went crazy. It actually grew towards my 30k lokani and stung it. The coral RTN'd a couple days back :angry:

• Like 1

Ohhh no! Sorry to hear about the lokani. I would be pissed too!

I have my mystic monti on it's own rock...it's a cool shaped rock, hoping once it grows it will easier to frag this way. I get what your saying though. You need that room for more sticks :)

• Like 1

So on a whim, I decided to check my nitrates with my basic three (Ca, DkH, Mg). My Salifert test showed undetectable twice. The solution did not turn any colors, but stayed perfectly clear. I have done a single water change in the past 3 months. All I use for filtration is my LR, a skimmer, and the bit of chaeto that I have growing in my tank. Other than the occasional bubble algae and some bryopsis that grows on two frag plugs, I don't have any ugly algae to speak of so I don't think it is being consumed in that way. Very odd. It may explain the bit of STN that occurred on some shaded spots of my acros while I was gone (other than acro on acro stinging that happened).

Ohhh no! Sorry to hear about the lokani. I would be pissed too! I have my mystic monti on it's own rock...it's a cool shaped rock, hoping once it grows it will easier to frag this way. I get what your saying though. You need that room for more sticks :)

Ya, it's a bummer but there is a local guy that has the biggest colony of 30k lokani that I have ever seen. I can get a new piece pretty easily, but I may not bother. It never did well in my tank anyways. It encrusted a little on the plug, and never did anything else. Never showed any PE either, but maybe it didn't like the spot? It came from an radion-lit tank where it was positioned high up directly under a radion with I would guess high flow. I tried to mimic that in my tank, but I guess it wasn't a good spot.

• Like 1

Well i have my piece in high light and decent flow too. Mine has a little Pe but only at night. It has definitely colored up a little bit since I got it though. Growth wise, it hasn't done anything lol.

• Like 1

Well i have my piece in high light and decent flow too. Mine has a little Pe but only at night. It has definitely colored up a little bit since I got it though. Growth wise, it hasn't done anything lol.

Yes, it seems to be one of those more temperamental SPS. Too bad. It looks so awesome as a colony.

What's your doctoral thesis work gonna consist of?

Why? So you can steal my idea!?!?!?!?!?

I'm kidding! :D I am still working out the particulars, but it will focus on the reconstruction of daily food production and cuisine (what is considered food, food beliefs and practices, and how it is made/served/eaten/discarded) for an Andean Empire called Wari. Basically, I will be looking at carbonized and desiccated seeds, and other plant parts, to see what was being grown, where it was taken, and how it was used by people of the Wari Empire at a site, and how they may have/have not interacted (through food) with local peoples that they met as their empire expanded.

I'm kidding! :D I am still working out the particulars, but it will focus on the reconstruction of daily food production and cuisine (what is considered food, food beliefs and practices, and how it is made/served/eaten/discarded) for an Andean Empire called Wari. Basically, I will be looking at carbonized and desiccated seeds, and other plant parts, to see what was being grown, where it was taken, and how it was used by people of the Wari Empire at a site, and how they may have/have not interacted (through food) with local peoples that they met as their empire expanded.

Zzzzzzzzzz oh that sounds great.

Seriously I like the angle always thought it was interesting how the Mayans used so much lime that it was absorbed everywhere most importantly water and crops. The reason for the fall, no food to feed the empire.

I got my Apex Auto Feeder on Friday and has a chance to hook it up this morning. This is a cool little piece of hardware that I should have bought a long time ago. It is a little noisy, but it will be a life saver. I can now have someone come over every 4 days and check on the tank rather than feeding every day when I am out of town. I have found that with my NLS pellets, the lowest feed setting lets out the right amount of food. I have it set up to feed once a day right now, and will up that to twice a day when I am out of town.

Hah, thanks man but I assure you there is some brown. Specifically, my pink lemonade acro and SSC have lost a lot of color. I have had some swinging parameters too I think, as my dkh was 6.4 (due to a clog in my doser line) and my Ca was probably in the neighborhood of 700 (overdosing) when I got back. I am trying to get these to normalize right now. I lost some tissue on the undersides of a couple of acros because of these swings/high numbers. I also had some acros that stung each other and killed a couple of branches unfortunately, but that will happen I guess.

All in all, it is as good as I could hope for though!

I was trying to program the APEX to shut of the return pumps for the feeder. Instructioned give to me was to set up a virtual outlet.

Have you successfully done this?