Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Arkayology's Rimless 40g

Arkayology

That tubing is the medical grade stuff that is more flexible for the rotor to draw fluid. Airline wouldn't work.

I already bought some of the approved BM tubing from Premium Aquatics and synthetic grease. It should be here on Friday.

I had to frag the red planet branches off the base this morning due to STN that I didn't know was going on. I just lost the base tissue, so I have the majority of the colony in tact. I hope it stops and puts out growth again.

So far I have lost/or have had to frag:

red planet

pink lemonade

hawkins echinata

edgar's acro

miyagi tort

green planet

My SSC has also lost a little tissue, so we will see where this goes. I am really paying for my 7 weeks in Peru and 2 weeks in Wisconsin fro my wedding now... :( I think what really did some of the SPS in was the tank tank. The tank got up to 81.7 degrees F even with my fan on. I had the apartment closed up except for small gap in one window for air exchange. I think I should have left it open more now.

jedimasterben

Yikes, that's far too hot. I would try and get it back into the 74-78F range. Metabolism gets so high with just that extra couple of degrees that it's difficult for corals to have enough nutrient input, light, and flow to keep up with it.

I has more sads for you :(

Yikes, that's far too hot. I would try and get it back into the 74-78F range. Metabolism gets so high with just that extra couple of degrees that it's difficult for corals to have enough nutrient input, light, and flow to keep up with it.

I has more sads for you :(

Oh, that was just a couple times when I was gone. The tank doesn't get over 79.6 when I am home and the windows are open. The wife wanted things closed up in case it rained... (we are in the digest drought in 80 years or something, but who am I argue with my new wife? )

I wanted to get something to hold my clam on my sand, so I did a search around the internet for products or ideas that were better than what I have come up with in the past. I came across a post on a forum where someone was talking about a product by Brightwell Aquatics called a "clam hammock" and I thought that it would be perfect. Not thinking too hard about the product name, I did a google search for "clam hammock" and I was really surprised by my search findings :lol:;)

I ended up finding some ceramic clam holders made by The Alternative Reef who are the same people who I got my magnetic ceramic frag rack on my overflow from.

• Like 1

That's for the 4 bulb 4' version. I would assume that 2 bulb 2' would be a bit less.

Reading a bit closer, it says that they'll 'entertain offers' on smaller units, but think about it this way - the ballast will cost $90-100, two reflectors at $20 each, endcaps, wiring, etc, all in all that stuff is approaching the $175 mark, and you haven't even gotten to the housing itself.

• Like 1

Reading a bit closer, it says that they'll 'entertain offers' on smaller units, but think about it this way - the ballast will cost $90-100, two reflectors at $20 each, endcaps, wiring, etc, all in all that stuff is approaching the $175 mark, and you haven't even gotten to the housing itself.

Ya, but you will spend that money getting yourself a nice looking used housing and gutting the thing too... almost. I really think that the price difference between this and getting a used T5 fixture housing and retrofitting it would not be THAT big of a difference. Maybe only $75 dollars? I don't really know though.

That fact that it is controllable via an Apex is very appealing to me too.

edit: I sent them an email to get a quote. Lets see where this goes.

• Like 1

That fact that it is controllable via an Apex is very appealing to me too.

You don't want to dim the bulbs. Even ATI admits that it cuts life pretty significantly, even if the bulbs are broken in properly before dimming (minimum 100 hours burn-in at full power).

• Like 3

I am also intrigued by the new Wav pump by Neptune. I will wait for some other people with more disposable income than I have to test it out, but I think it may be a winner. I would probably sell my last mp10 to help buy one. It would definitely be easier/safer than using a DIY cord to connect my jebao wp25 to the apex VDM port at least.

You don't want to dim the bulbs. Even ATI admits that it cuts life pretty significantly, even if the bulbs are broken in properly before dimming (minimum 100 hours burn-in at full power).

Ya, I have read that. It is nice to able to have the bulbs turn off/on via the Apex though instead of using a bulky timer outlet. I would just have them turn off/on at 100%/0%.

• Like 1

That's for the 4 bulb 4' version. I would assume that 2 bulb 2' would be a bit less.

You guys had me all excited thinking I could get a decent 4' 4bulb t5/ led hybrid that looked nice for $500... then I find out its just a shell lights sold separately..... boooo :( lol

Ya, I have read that. It is nice to able to have the bulbs turn off/on via the Apex though instead of using a bulky timer outlet. I would just have them turn off/on at 100%/0%.

You'll still need the relay port, though, the ballasts will not turn off via the 0-10v ports, they will stay on at 1%.

• Like 2

You guys had me all excited thinking I could get a decent 4' 4bulb t5/ led hybrid that looked nice for $500... then I find out its just a shell lights sold separately..... boooo :( lol

Na, just the housing that you put a Radion in. If you want something you can stick your DIY LEDs to, ASIS has you covered on that front.

You'll still need the relay port, though, the ballasts will not turn off via the 0-10v ports, they will stay on at 1%.

I didn't know that. I figured I could have them turn completely off if I wanted.

Na, just the housing that you put a Radion in. If you want something you can stick your DIY LEDs to, ASIS has you covered on that front.

I think they would both be too narrow for my needs in all reality. I will likely end up building a DIY canopy and retro-ing it up.

• Like 1

Grrr. I keep making accidental frags of my red dragon by bumping into it. I need to keep my hands out of the tank! What's worse is that nobody in my direct area keeps SPS, so these frags just sit here. I have 4 1-1.5'' pieces with nowhere to go!

• Like 2
Mr. Microscope

Dang Ark! I feel your pain. I used to do that with my birdsnest all the time. Though, I imagine the RD is a bit more fragile. I say, epoxy them together on a single plug/rubble and let them grow into a mini colony. Either you can eventually reintroduce it to your reef, or someone will pay to ship a nice sized piece.

• Like 2