Cultivated Reef

Kat's Ol' Max

metrokat

jedimasterben

Did you know that corals such as Pink Birds Nest look better under stark or warm white light than it does under bluer light?

It is because YOLO!

#winning

• Like 1
Non-fluorescent colors may be if you do not have sufficient spectra above what the limes hit with any significant power like the lower-kelvin white LEDs do. Lime is kinda like a cool white LED without the blue.

^^ Greek.

Did you know that corals such as Pink Birds Nest look better under stark or warm white light than it does under bluer light?

It is because YOLO!

I.can vouch for that. With my actinic light, my big pink bird was just a dark mass of sticks.
  • Like 3

I.can vouch for that. With my actinic light, my big pink bird was just a dark mass of sticks.

Maybe Lime LED spot lights will resolve this? Nice narrow beam angle on a goose neck for highlighting specific corals that look better under light that is less blue?

Little sum'n sum'n like this?

1W-12-24V-LED-worklight-30-60cm-snake-go

Maybe Lime LED spot lights will resolve this? Nice narrow beam angle on a goose neck for highlighting specific corals that look better under light that is less blue?

Might work with an open top. But my lights sit on the rim of the tank. And I don't have the pink bird anymore.

Might work with an open top. But my lights sit on the rim of the tank. And I don't have the pink bird anymore.

It ain't all about you!!! Maybe I need it... :P

• Like 2
jedimasterben

1W-12-24V-LED-worklight-30-60cm-snake-go

While it will certainly work, it would really stick out like a sore thumb IMHO, especially with any kind of lens. While limes blend together very well with other LEDs, having spotlights will give an uneven look. :)

In coral nooz.

The Strawberry Shortcake is getting the short end of the stick. It has encrusted like mad on the Tonga branch it was glued on. However most of the coral (encrustation included) is shaded by the Myagi Tort and is brown. The parts of it that get unobstructed light is pretty- lime green flesh with the pink polyps as it should be.

The dilemma is that the Myagi has also encrusted but can be cut off easier than the SS which is under the Myagi. However there isn't a better spot for the Myagi than where it is currently. The SS is not going to be easy to cut, but I have a place for it to be moved to.

20140701_112818.jpg

• Like 2

While it will certainly work, it would really stick out like a sore thumb IMHO, especially with any kind of lens. While limes blend together very well with other LEDs, having spotlights will give an uneven look. :)

Maybe my corals want to be the stars at the front of the stage, reading their monologue while the scene behind them is dimly lit and still. Maybe they have more to say than meets the eye, and being in the lime light will cause a rumbling deep within them that will build until it erupts, spilling passion and presence around the room!

• Like 1
jedimasterben

Maybe my corals want to be the stars at the front of the stage, reading their monologue while the scene behind them is dimly lit and still. Maybe they have more to say than meets the eye, and being in the lime light will cause a rumbling deep within them that will build until it erupts, spilling passion and presence around the room!

LOL, that reminds me of crazy eyes from Orange is the New Black when she starts quoting Shakespeare :)

• Like 3
NirvanaandTool

Hmm. Magenta brings out the pinks in the tank doesnt it I imagine so would hot pink. I'm not sure I would like that. In fact I don't like any color cast, which is why these limes are really making me happy. Too much white and most of the coral colors neutralise. And there is a yellow tinge.

With the lime, you get a bright look without the coral colors being compromised.

I was just throwing crazy colors out there but the fact that magenta LEDs exist makes me laugh. I'll wait til a company comes up with a Hot Pink and Highlighter Yellow LED. :lol:

I'm loving the way the limes look on my array and that's just seeing them in tests. Cant wait to get it over some coral!

I mean really,

Does this look like the face of a crazy stick-whisperer to you?

IMG_3605lCo1z.jpg

Totally does! Is that you?!

I'm loving the way the limes look on my array and that's just seeing them in tests. Cant wait to get it over some coral!

Tests? what tests?

What about black LEDs. what would that do to coral colors?

NirvanaandTool

Tests? what tests?

What about black LEDs. what would that do to coral colors?

Just test firing the whole fixture and individual colors. Blinding myself and my innocent bystander wife in the process.

Black LEDs? Hmm. Like a blacklight? Would make for an extremely trippy tank when the other lights are out! They would make for crazy moonlights haha

• Like 1

In Kitty nooz.

Bogi throws up hairballs a lot. He's a compulsive groomer, whenever he's not sleeping or crying for food. His barfing worries me, he's a 14 year old kitty, all that retching isn't good. My silk carpets are of course extremely upset. Hairball foods, remedies, everything works to solve the immediate problem, but not long term. They say grooming your cat is a better way to handle the hairballs because he will swallow less of it by grooming himself less. Enter the shedding tool!

616P07cpWTL._SL1500_.jpg

Best furball purchase in a long a$$ time.

Black LEDs? Hmm. Like a blacklight? Would make for an extremely trippy tank when the other lights are out! They would make for crazy moonlights haha

:) Somebody should do it. for S & G.

Haha yeah that is me :)

Well what are you doing posting your mug on my thread?! :angry: Roll up that sleeve and post tattoo pictures immediately.

NirvanaandTool

:) Somebody should do it. for S & G.

Agreed. I vote Ben. He needs something new to test since his LED light is finished.

• Like 1

yup, they used blacklights to market glowfish before the big move to LEDs. They are more in the UV range and that is why you can blast a room full of crazy people with blacklight and still have it look like a dark room.