SaltCritters.com

Kat's Ol' Max

metrokat

Paleoreef103

Dear Kat,
You need a frag tank more than anyone I've seen. Growth looks great, love the new light, the corals look incredible, but that frag rack needs to go.

Regards,

Your friendly neighborhood paleontologist.

• Like 4

I love the look of the new light as well. Nano-box keeps getting better IMO

+1

Wow! Cool modification. I'm interested to hear more of your observations Kat. Good luck tuning it in.

Thanks Mr. M. The lime makes everything very bright. Negates the blue and purple tones you see see most often in tanks. (Edited before Benny comes in here). What I mean is that the overwhelming color in the tank is not blue or purple. Even when I turn up my blues 100%, the tank is still colorful as opposed to blue.

Light looks great Kat :).

Thank you Jase.

Sweet light! Welcome to the lime craze!

I is chwazy, yes. :D

• Like 3

...the overwhelming color in the tank is not blue or purple. Even when I turn up my blues 100%, the tank is still colorful as opposed to blue.

I find that very intriguing!

I must look into this further...

• Like 1
jedimasterben

I find that very intriguing!

I must look into this further...

So, you guys know me and that I tinker and build a LOT of different LED arrays (you don't see most of them). I have one of Dave's Tides with the lime setup. I was one of the first, and I have to say (again), it really is one of the best LED fixtures I have ever seen. It fixes virtually all of the issues people have with LEDs. It gets rid of all purple tint. It makes the light far brighter, making it feel like you are running more intense light (this little Tide at ~20W is far brighter than the 80W array I have on the other side of my office). Best thing I can equate it to is a high end 12-14K MH lamp like those from Ushio and Hamilton that has just that crisp, clean white light.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/348282-more-nano-box-news/?p=4774277

Since nobody (especially kat) listens to me about anything :)

• Like 2
I read that post by Evil.Of course I listen to you. :slap:

I find that very intriguing!I must look into this further...

I started to take some pictures yesterday before the camera battery died.
  • Like 1
jedimasterben

We forget you're even here half the time :P

Me too :lol:

I read that post by Evil.Of course I listen to you. :slap:

Yeah yeah. <_<

The question for me is, how does I get the same LED into my Radion Pro? lol... I am assuming the greens in the Radion Pro are not the same? Do I have to go buy myself a Nanobox now? :P

• Like 1
jedimasterben

The question for me is, how does I get the same LED into my Radion Pro? lol... I am assuming the greens in the Radion Pro are not the same? Do I have to go buy myself a Nanobox now? :P

You don't. The Radion does not include the solder mask on the PCB that will fit any of the Luxeon series, only 3535 LEDs, so if you can somehow convince Philips to produce them in 3535, then you can have them retrofitted, but good luck with that :)

And you are correct, lime and green are not the same.

A select few do. All the Evil Cluster adopters. Hell half of us ran out and got limes thanks to your test, me included.

What's the next LED du jour? Magenta? Hot pink? :lol:

:ninja:

• Like 1
What's the next LED du jour? Magenta? Hot pink? :lol:
Hmm. Magenta brings out the pinks in the tank doesnt it I imagine so would hot pink. I'm not sure I would like that. In fact I don't like any color cast, which is why these limes are really making me happy. Too much white and most of the coral colors neutralise. And there is a yellow tinge.

With the lime, you get a bright look without the coral colors being compromised.

• Like 2
jedimasterben

Hmm. Magenta brings out the pinks in the tank doesnt it I imagine so would hot pink.

Those aren't real colors of LEDs. "Magenta" LEDs are blue LEDs with a small amount of red phosphor applied to them, so they are essentially like white LEDs without the green in the middle. 'hot pink' doesn't exist ;)

I'm not sure I would like that. In fact I don't like any color cast, which is why these limes are really making me happy. Too much white and most of the coral colors neutralise. And there is a yellow tinge.

They don't really 'neutralize', they show their true color like you'd see in the wild :P

Well, I may upgrade my office 20 gallon to a 3 foot tank. If I do, I will need a little something extra to cover that other foot of tank. Maybe I will try out one of these fancy "Nanobox" doohickeys I've been hearing about.

• Like 1
jedimasterben

With the lime, you get a bright look without the coral colors being compromised.

Non-fluorescent colors may be if you do not have sufficient spectra above what the limes hit with any significant power like the lower-kelvin white LEDs do. Lime is kinda like a cool white LED without the blue.

Did you know that corals such as Pink Birds Nest look better under stark or warm white light than it does under bluer light?
It is because YOLO!

• Like 1