SaltCritters.com

Kat's Ol' Max

metrokat

jedimasterben
The clams are so pretty! I do believe clams have just made their way onto my wish list! Of course, I need to learn to frag first and clear some space :lol:.

Hammer. :P

A few updates. Emerald the clam has attached to the rock I put her on. :happydance:

The plan is to leave her be for a while and then move her to where I think I would like her to be, I may need Zephs help for placement.

Noir the clam doesn't like rocks, prefers the sand. I am concerned she may attach to the glass under my substrate but I just checked and she has not yet done so.

I moved the Yumas to the back corner of the tank after reading an article in coral magazine. They have tripled in size back there in half a day. While I was moving them I saw a baby Yuma so I'm happy they are doing well.

Just curious, am I suppose to physically check if the clam has attached or just assume it has if it doesn't move after a certain amount of time?

Noir the clam doesn't like rocks, prefers the sand. I am concerned she may attach to the glass under my substrate but I just checked and she has not yet done so.

I'm not sure what Zephs input would be but the owner of my LFS told me that he puts a frag tile under the substrate just in case they seek something to attach to. Just something I heard don't keep me liable!

Deleted User 3
The tyree pink elephants are green with pink skirts. Mine are indeed that color, just my lighting doesnt show them off as good as say, yours would. - YET.

tyreepinkelephants.jpg

TULIP WANTS :naughtydance::bling::eek:

So after being up till the wee hours watching the election coverage, seeing Obama clean the floor with Romney, I have 3 words : UNFOLLOW DONALD TRUMP. What a tool.

One of the lettuce nudibranches (this was my 6th attempt at writing nudibranches with auto correct, argh), went into the blender. It got sucked into the MP10 as I watched. Twice. Still lives. :eek:

I'm not sure what they are eating. I've got several kinds of algaes in there, a sort of turf algae, blue ochtodes, caulerpa serrulata, chaeto. I see them slithering on everything pretty much, but for the most part they like to be on the glass.

I need those foam shields that are for MP10s, where can I get them?

The clams have moved again, both of them. Sigh.

I've run out of test kits, red sea ones are on their way. I still need a reliable nitrate test kit. Also hoping Zeph will chime in here, is potassium iodide, Lugols, harmful to clams?

jedimasterben
I need those foam shields that are for MP10s, where can I get them?

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/vortech-mp10...rds-3-pack.html

The clams have moved again, both of them. Sigh.

I've run out of test kits, red sea ones are on their way. I still need a reliable nitrate test kit. Also hoping Zeph will chime in here, is potassium iodide, Lugols, harmful to clams?

Nitrate & Phosphate: http://www.marinedepot.com/Red_Sea_Algae_C...-FITKMK-vi.html

And no, Lugols is not harmful to clams, at least not when added to the whole tank in incredibly small amounts, or I'd have three dead ones. I add three drops of the stuff to my reef every 2-4 weeks, but only because I'm testing for it. http://www.marinedepot.com/Red_Sea_Reef_Co...-FITKMK-vi.html

Edited by jedimasterben
Just curious, am I suppose to physically check if the clam has attached or just assume it has if it doesn't move after a certain amount of time?

I'm not sure what Zephs input would be but the owner of my LFS told me that he puts a frag tile under the substrate just in case they seek something to attach to. Just something I heard don't keep me liable!

. I do that if I really want a clam to attach to something so once it does I can pretty much place it anywhere. But it is not necessary. Sure check and see if it attached. Easy to do.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/vortech-mp10...rds-3-pack.html

Nitrate & Phosphate: http://www.marinedepot.com/Red_Sea_Algae_C...-FITKMK-vi.html

And no, Lugols is not harmful to clams, at least not when added to the whole tank in incredibly small amounts, or I'd have three dead ones. I add three drops of the stuff to my reef every 2-4 weeks, but only because I'm testing for it. http://www.marinedepot.com/Red_Sea_Reef_Co...-FITKMK-vi.html

I use lugols...love it. And I just started testing for potassium.

Edited by ZephNYC
FInally someone with feedback for RARE REEF. How is their facility? Do you recommend them ? They do get nice stuff in, i know.

Don't think the shipment is going to arrive alive. My $200 order was shipped fedex home delivery and sat at the terminal for a day. When I called fedex they said the package was held for inspection. I guess we'll see what it looks like when it gets here. Not sure who to point the finger at.

jedimasterben
Don't think the shipment is going to arrive alive. My $200 order was shipped fedex home delivery and sat at the terminal for a day. When I called fedex they said the package was held for inspection. I guess we'll see what it looks like when it gets here. Not sure who to point the finger at.

They sent it through Home Delivery? Wow. Something tells me they don't really know much about shipping.

I mean, I'm all for shipping via ground services for nearby areas, but don't use Fedex for something like that - their ground services are not truly as much a part of Fedex as they'd lead to believe. All Fedex ground employees don't even work for Fedex, they're independent contractors that don't always work every day. Even worse, 'home delivery' is another set of independent contractors that only deliver when they have a van full of packages.

I chose the florida shipping option that they offered as they are 3 hours away. I don't want to start a huge convo on Kat's thread so at this point if they don't stand behind their DOA I'll make a buyer beware topic. When I owned an online coral retailer, I had to send a sample package to Fedex and get it approved for shipping because of the contents. I was good to go after that.

I chose the florida shipping option that they offered as they are 3 hours away. I don't want to start a huge convo on Kat's thread so at this point if they don't stand behind their DOA I'll make a buyer beware topic. When I owned an online coral retailer, I had to send a sample package to Fedex and get it approved for shipping because of the contents. I was good to go after that.

What an insult!!! RARE REEF takes a $200 rare blue squamosa clam and ships it out fed ex GROUND SERVICE!!!??? That is rediculous!!! I would get my $ back ASAP and tell them they dont have a clue how to properly ship exotic live stock. I know since they are only 3 hours from you even ground service "should" make it there overnight, BUT BUT BUT it is not guranteed and with all the shipping delays caused by Sandy and her aftermath on the east coast, that was a really dumb thing for RARE REEF to do.

Heres a good one...I had a $1500.00 order arrive from LIVE AQUARIA yesterday, AND NO HEAT PACK! I measured the water temp in the bags and it was 37 F!!!!!!

UN F'in BELIEVABLE! I feel really bad for the poor girl that answered the phone when I called to complain, she couldnt get a word in edgewise for atleast 10 minutes till I calmed down.

Edited by ZephNYC

I can't believe what companies and sellers of livestock will do to save a few bucks. Seriously, your selling livestock you should care about what you sell. That's one of the things holding be back from buying online, luckily I have a good selection of LFS and they price to match.

I though LA of all places was safe...Hope they fixed it?

Edited by dormreefer
I can't believe what companies and sellers of livestock will do to save a few bucks. Seriously, your selling livestock you should care about what you sell. That's one of the things holding be back from buying online, luckily I have a good selection of LFS and they price to match.

I though LA of all places was safe...Hope they fixed it?

LA is as safe as the putz working in the wharehouse is on that particular day. I honestly feel they have grown a littlle too big and we lose out on personal attention. Time will tell if the livestock recovers. Miraculously it looks ok so far all in Quarantine.

Edited by ZephNYC

It was actually only $100.. but she's was a looker! Could have easily sold for double IMO. These photos are surely copyrighted..

47466_254863274635718_2129477484_n.jpg

Here was the other thing I ordered. The favia might actually make it. Maybe..

534584_254862167969162_975652103_n.jpg

Problem is I doubt with these guys I can just get a refund and move on, it'll likely be store credit. Next time I'm going to call (oh wait i did call and they dont answer), email them and request overnight shipping.

Ouch Zeph, $1500.. at least they stand behind their DOA with a refund but still doesn't make up for lack of responsibility and loss of life. It's not like NY hasn't been plastered all over the news about the hurricane and all the really cold weather. I barely watch the news as it is and I know it's cold up there. I've shipped a box from Florida to Michigan in January subzero temps overnight early AM. Heat pack was still warm and water at 72 deg. I thought it was either you or albert thiel who said their quality had declined over the past year?

As of now, it's still riding around on the truck... :angry:

Edited by MikeTR
And Zeph I read 150 at first, 1500?? what did you buy

Please do not get me started on Zephs purchases with Live Aquaria. Let me put it to you this way, with their 5% rewards program, Zeph has already, this year, probably qualified for a large Bongo priced aussie acro colony.

Actually, I got lucky because THREE of the items I purchased were "not suitable for shipment" only one week after i placed the order. This was actually 3 different live aquaria orders that were all held because of Sandy and arrived on the same day.

...and my reasoning is this. I dont have a wife anymore, and I dont have step kids living here anymore. I dont have car payments, and I dont have to pay rent. SOOOOO IM SPENDING MY F'IN CASH ON CORALS BABY!!!!

And Ive never been happier either :lol:

I got burghia nudibranches, sick acropora colony, sick pink goniopora colony, blue/green zoa rock colony, gorgeous impossible to keep red scleroneptthya soft coral, zoa frag of atomic somthingor orther - red and green...uhhhh....im forgetting something....

oh lots of it was frozen foods too...metrokat jumped in on the order. Theres more, i forget.

First attempt at an underwater video!

(it's crappy, I'm warning ya)

Actually, I got lucky because THREE of the items I purchased were "not suitable for shipment" only one week after i placed the order. This was actually 3 different live aquaria orders that were all held because of Sandy and arrived on the same day.

...and my reasoning is this. I dont have a wife anymore, and I dont have step kids living here anymore. I dont have car payments, and I dont have to pay rent. SOOOOO IM SPENDING MY F'IN CASH ON CORALS BABY!!!!

And Ive never been happier either :lol:

I got burghia nudibranches, sick acropora colony, sick pink goniopora colony, blue/green zoa rock colony, gorgeous impossible to keep red scleroneptthya soft coral, zoa frag of atomic somthingor orther - red and green...uhhhh....im forgetting something....

oh lots of it was frozen foods too...metrokat jumped in on the order. Theres more, i forget.

fine. take me to dinner.

surprisingly it looks like the clam is alive. It is reactive to light and I can see the excurrent siphon somewhat moving. The bag leaked and he was halfway out of water so had no choice but to put straight into the tank. Nothing I could do to acclimate which is probably going to be bad for him later on. :(. Barnacles on the outside of the shell are still alive and filtering. Nothing smells like death. Favia looks ok so far. Package was definitely held due to leakage as the box is completely soaked.

First attempt at an underwater video!

(it's crappy, I'm warning ya)

No pink birdsnest were harmed during the making of this video i hope ;)... it is crappy but the corals look great!

surprisingly it looks like the clam is alive. It is reactive to light and I can see the excurrent siphon somewhat moving. The bag leaked and he was halfway out of water so had no choice but to put straight into the tank. Nothing I could do to acclimate which is probably going to be bad for him later on. :(. Barnacles on the outside of the shell are still alive and filtering. Nothing smells like death. Favia looks ok so far. Package was definitely held due to leakage as the box is completely soaked.

So it took 2 days to get to you? I would have done the same thing. Just put it in the display right away.