Innovative Marine Aquariums

Kat's Ol' Max

metrokat

I have "Real Reef" rock and I think the guy at the LFS said something about it being made of Aragonite? Could that be what keeps it high?

eeeks I hate that thing. it leeched phosphates when I had my bio cube. Caused a huge cyano problem.

Maybe that's why my phosphate randomly hits 0.4 out of nowhere. Did you still have the issue with a phosphate remover?

No that was over a year ago in my biocube. I'm now in another tank and I have a GFO reactor but that was to counter browning in SPS. I do not have algae issues. I see a bit of this and that but I have been lucky not to have an outbreak of anything notorious.

It is possible that the rock (i still have a few pieces of it) is still leaching which could account for my phosphates before I installed the GFO reactor. No way to tell really.

I pulled my GFO too after Zeph recommend using beads instead for my clam's sake. I always thought the Phopshate spikes were weird and that it may be the rock, glad someone else had the same issue. If the rock leeches P04 I'm going to have to further look into it causing Alk issues may be the culprit.

Edited by dormreefer
I pulled my GFO too after Zeph recommend using beads instead for my clam's sake. I always thought the Phopshate spikes were weird and that it may be the rock, glad someone else had the same issue. If the rock leeches P04 I'm going to have to further look into it causing Alk issues may be the culprit.

I'm not sure about it causing ALK issues.

HEY BRIAN!

Did your LR which caused the ammonia spike in the BC also come from Real Reef?

I'm not sure about it causing ALK issues.

HEY BRIAN!

Did your LR which caused the ammonia spike in the BC also come from Real Reef?

No I just started looking in to alternative rock. Want the RSM to be a unique build.... ;)

Edited by SerenityReef
Hi Ian, hope the emergency has been handled, are you alright?

Thanks for thinking of me, yeah status quo. :lol:

Yep all good here - family+work+politics stuff all combined into my own little perfect storm of busy-ness is all.

I just realized that I haven't seen Google, my deep blue Chromis since the hurricane. It just never registered that he was gone. RIP. :(

My dad had his mid morning cup of coffee with the tank. He was more curious than my little nephew about my reef. He loved Charlie, my Yasha. But his favorite was my favorite, Draco the Mandarin fishy. I guess he is my paw. :lol:

He wants me to get anothe rmandarin and another couple of bangaii cardinals. So I had to explain the food and fighting. The shrimps wi the shrimp gobies fascinated him, he couldn't understand why I didn't clean my tank, referring to the constant sand in the water column because of the aforementioned shrimps.

Have yet to show him the sump and my Apex. Both him and my brother sometimes display more care and concern about the tank than I think is possible given that the hobby is mine. My brother has insisted the UPS backup is permanently installed on the tank. My dads always wondering if I need more equipment or more fish. I am to go to the LFS today and pick up somethings they have on hold for me. I was going to take my dad but he said he'd rather nap but to make sure I get some of those striped fish. :rolleyes:

Also. DKH 15.3. CA 250.

Edited by metrokat

My mum indulges me, I'll drag her off the couch or bed when the actinics are on to show her the polyps on the montiporas. She needs a magnifying glass but she sits there going 'oh I see, aha, yes yes'

I do torture my family, they like it.

A tale of two clams that lived through a hurricane.

So the bigger one is Zephs clam although DANGEFFINABBIT it is so beautiful I'm seriously debating leaving town with it since he knows where I live. ARGH!

The little one is mine and is supposed to be emerald green with blue accents although from this angle you would never know it.

IMG_2687.CR2.jpg

Zephs clam is a black baby maxima with a green rim. In my tank it is a black baby maxima with a blue rim and blue specks. IT looks black from every angle which is fascinating.

So the bigger one is Zephs clam although DANGEFFINABBIT it is so beautiful I'm seriously debating leaving town with it since he knows where I live. ARGH!

The little one is mine and is supposed to be emerald green with blue accents although from this angle you would never know it.

IMG_2687.CR2.jpg

Zephs clam is a black baby maxima with a green rim. In my tank it is a black baby maxima with a blue rim and blue specks. IT looks black from every angle which is fascinating.

What a couple of cuties. :)

My mum indulges me, I'll drag her off the couch or bed when the actinics are on to show her the polyps on the montiporas. She needs a magnifying glass but she sits there going 'oh I see, aha, yes yes'

I do torture my family, they like it.

My Mother, Who was born in Sicily, used to tell me - Yea, theyre nice, but when are you going to stop ?

MINE MINE MINE :D

just do the old switcheroo on zeph. keep his clam and send yours with him. Tell him for some reason it shrunk and changed colors under your lighting!

You are evil....pure unadulterated EVIL!!!

Very nice babe. I saw some nice gold crocea's today but I'm going to hold out for a green.

Live aquaria just had a gold crocea for $230.It had some purple in in too.

I dunno Zeph...... :closedeyes:

DONT YOU EVEN THINK ABOUT IT I WILL COME OVER THERE AND THROW YOUR WHOLE TANK OUT THE WINDOW.

Edited by ZephNYC
DONT YOU EVEN THINK ABOUT IT I WILL COME OVER THERE AND THROW YOUR WHOLE TANK OUT THE WINDOW.

You must be really strong! :o

Pretty clams, I like! I'm already wanting more -_-

My daddy is here, he throws boys out the window with his pinky. And I have a tank watch-cat. Oooooh scary.

Oh BTW the brother shat in his pants when I told him how much they cost. So I told him they were both gifts from you.

:flower:

For Christmas

Edited by metrokat
My daddy is here, he throws boys out the window with his pinky. And I have a tank watch-cat. Oooooh scary.

Oh BTW the brother shat in his pants when I told him how much they cost. So I told him they were both gifts from you.

:flower:

For Christmas

He shat ? Oh shoot!

You must be really strong! :o

When people get crazy they gain amazing amounts of strength. Like when a mother lifts a car to get it off her baby. Although I prolly really could lift Kats tank if I could get the right grip.Maybe Ill try next time Im ovah. I always wanted to meet Dad. I may need to have a chat with him concerning his little princess.