inTank Media Baskets

Kat's Ol' Max

metrokat

I called Two Little Fishies this morning, had a question about their phosban reactor. the operator had me leave a message and said and expert would call me. Julian himself did. Like, wow. Customer service!

So we spoke about the reactor which led me to mentioning my calcium and alk problems, we talked about his DCX product and his KW reactor which is sounding like a good next equipment purchase.

Sorry a bit behind, but next time you talk with Jules, tell him to have a real designer help him with his crappy reactor designs. Those things suck beans. No way to easily clean them, stuff gets stuck in them all the time, and overall it's just a bad design. It wouldn't take much to design a better one. Ugh!

IMG_9982.JPG

wow...

just wow..

My favorite thing about your tank isn't the beautiful colonies (which are very nice), but the incredible biodiversity that in my mind defines a successful reef tank. Kudos to you young lady!

My favorite thing about your tank isn't the beautiful colonies (which are very nice), but the incredible biodiversity that in my mind defines a successful reef tank. Kudos to you young lady!

Thank you. I seem to have a little bit of everything including an anemone. I finally found the ID of the anemone I have!

Thank you. I seem to have a little bit of everything including an anemone. I finally found the ID of the anemone I have!

Enquiring minds want to know ... which nem Kat ...

You know why they are called CLOWN fish?

IMG_9983.JPG

IMG_9984.JPG

IMG_9985.JPG

IMG_9986.JPG

IMG_9987.JPG

IMG_9995.JPG

That is Max, the male clownfish lying sideways, tilted over in the zoanthids. And then Ruby comes over and does a nose dive vertically into the same zoas. Idiots.

Those are Carlitos Alien Eyes zoas, and they are very used to the clowns now, they don't close up.

where be pic of nem?

Pic of the nem is here

The ID was unconfirmed so I asked 2 anemone collectors, Monochrome5 and Yardboy.

Monochroms ID'd it as one of 2 varieties.

Based on your description (eats well, pretty much a loner, no babies cropping up, etc) I'd say warty rock anemone, Bunodosoma cavernata. They come in a ton of colors, have a great appetite (even fish... careful), and will even eat other anemones (such as aiptasia). They basically stay put and like lower light a bit more than bright. Usually a rarity, but not too terribly uncommon on rock from the Atlantic, namely the Gulf.

If that anemone doesn't have a warty/bumpy stalk, then it's most definitely an aggregating anemone, Anthopleura elegantissima. Basically identical, very very slow propagating but ALWAYS genetically identical to their neighboring anemone (when it happens). Also, one of the most common anemones in the world and found in 85-55 degree water."

Yardboy claims to have a fetish for anemones, a true collector.

"What you have looks like to me to be a Bunodosoma species, not sure which one from the pictures but given that you bought the rock from the Gulf, it'smost likely to be American Warty Anemone, Bunodosoma cavernata. It will have scattered warts on its column.

A similar species is B. granuliferum or Red Warty Anemone, but it will have white blotches on it's tentacles and the warts on its column will be in vertical rows."

My little nem is really very little for me to see warts on the stem, but sometimes I think I can see something that resembles the description of a warty.

So there. ID has been narrowed down.

Nasuta progression shots

April 17

IMG_4242.JPG

July 17

IMG_9497.JPG

Aug 5

IMG_9701.JPG

Sept 3

IMG_9841.JPG

Clearly growing, but has not colored up yet.

When I first got it from Zeph:

IMG_4160.JPG

Hard to believe this is the same coral. It went through a complete transformation by first browning out (phosphates) and then not getting enough light and then the KALK problem.

The last picture os from March 14 when I got the frag.