inTank Media Baskets

Kat's Ol' Max

metrokat

The Nook has a night reading mode. I like my old school Kindle but the new ones (not fire) is very nice.

I had the fire, too heavy, too slow, and hurt my eyes reading on what is essentially my phone screen.

The Nexus 7 is much better for reading, than the fire and about equivalent to the iPad. My choice for pure book reading? nook or old school kindle.

By old school I mean the non fancy kindles like the fire. Ben's link to Amazon is a good one.

My LFS gets derasa and maxima clams straight from ORA. He usually goes out and is able to hand-pick what he wants (or bring the customer and have them pick it out!!), but since they're doing their big renovation they don't want anyone outside coming in. I'll be getting a 4" derasa and a 1.5" ultra maxima. The derasa for like $30 and the maxima for like $25-30. :D

Nice. The Ora Deresas are like SHERMAN TANKS and are nearly indestructible as far as clams go. Ive put a few to the test and they barely even flintch and they grow FAST and suck up a alot of nitrate. With that many clams in your tank you may actually need to add nitrates, but I know you feed like a pig...but test your nitrates from time to time to be sure there are atleast detectable amounts. Years ago those little maximas were always dropping like fly's. Even in Fatherees book he says they die so often he wont even get them anymore. BUTTTTT today I think things are different. I dont know what, if anything, has changed, but they are doing much better and most people I know are having great luck with them. The little gold one I got (Bunny) from Kat is very active and looking great. We've had it for what ??? 4 months now between her tank and mine.

Edited by ZephNYC
I set some carbon to tumble in about 150GPH of flow and the next morning, some of it had been pulverized it seems and every inch of my tank, including corals, snails, rocks, algaes, everything but the fish was covered in black carbon dust. I lost nearly every single coral, and had to scrub down the rocks to get it off, and it took weeks to get my tank looking somewhat normal. To this day, I can look in the nooks and crannies of the two rocks from that tank i'm still using and can still see the black dust stuck to it.

:o

My reactor is in the sump and the water goes back into the skimmer/reactor chamber. Then it goes into the fuge area before it goes back into the display, of course despite all of that the water was cloudy. The GFO has an extremely fine particulate.

Nice. The Ora Deresas are like SHERMAN TANKS and are nearly indestructable as far as clams go. Ive put a few to the test and they barely even flintch and they grow FAST and suck up a alot of nitrate. With that many clams in your tank you may actually need to add nitrates, but I know you feed like a pig...but test your nitrates from time to time to be sure there are atleast detectable amounts. Years ago those little maximas were always dropping like fly's. Even in Fatherees book he says they die so often he wont even get them anymore. BUTTTTT today I think things are different. I dont know what, if anything, has changed, but they are doing much better and most people I know are having great luck with them. The little gold one I got (Bunny) from Kat is very active and looking great. We've had it for what ??? 4 months now between her tank and mine.

Awesome. If I'm not careful, right now my nitrate will climb to 10ppm and phosphate to .15ppm, so I think for now I'll have enough. If not, I'll just feed more. :D

I wish clams nommed on phosphate.

How do you know?

I don't know the flow rate, I'm using an MJ 900 with the ball valve turned down to a gentle tumble.

I actually discarded the first 2 gallons.

This is actually another reason why I like Aluminum based media better. Its meant to be packed tight because it wont restrict water flow because they are plastic coated sphears. The Iron based ones become like mud when wet and clog right up so you need tumbling etc to get it right. Dont have to worry about any of that with Phosguard.

My reactor is in the sump and the water goes back into the skimmer/reactor chamber. Then it goes into the fuge area before it goes back into the display, of course despite all of that the water was cloudy. The GFO has an extremely fine particulate.

Just watched the video for BRS' reactors (I know yours is a Phosban and not BRS, but same information essentially) and they specifically point out to never let carbon tumble. http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/video/view/b...d-gfo-reactors/

Can you get newspaper subscriptions on the old school kindle? I'd like to be able to read the NYTimes without having to fold anything.

Yup

Just watched the video for BRS' reactors (I know yours is a Phosban and not BRS, but same information essentially) and they specifically point out to never let carbon tumble. http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/video/view/b...d-gfo-reactors/

okay then I guess I need to adjust the flow to make it stop tumbling

Here's a good article on GFO and what happens when it tumbles and dust forms etc ... should IMHO not have happened (cloudy tank). This was posted to my thread including one on using Aluminum Oxide

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-11/rhf/index.php

How long are you going to keep that silly name up?

Change the name of your thread back. Its annoying when people speak of themself in the third person.

Right Zeph? Yea, good point Zeph.

Looks like the pink bnest still has a polyp ache. Not recovered from the kalk+2 yet. I will never use that product again. I just ordered two little fishies kalk.

No, still not recovered. But looks better. Were you using brightwell in your reactor? I've ordered BRS. simple straightforward.

Edited by metrokat
No, still not recovered. But looks better. Were you using brightwell in your reactor? I've ordered BRS. simple straightforward.

Yes i was dosing kalk+2 in a reactor, but i stopped when my nasuta RTN'd.That colony was perfect for years.

EDIT!!!!! Just noticed the new title. Who loves ya baby???? ;)

Edited by ZephNYC