Coral Vue Hydros

Kat's Ol' Max

metrokat

Also...just for the record, I never said coral reefs are NUTRIENT POOR. I simply said they SHOULD measure absolute zero for PO4 and NO3 IN THE WATER COLUMN. THere are TONS of other nutrient sources on the reef.

Let's talk about this picture here. Are those Zoanthids expelling poop or Zooxanthelae?

IMG_9961.JPG

Also...just for the record, I never said coral reefs are NUTRIENT POOR. I simply said they SHOULD measure absolute zero for PO4 and NO3 IN THE WATER COLUMN. THere are TONS of other nutrient sources on the reef.

Spiro said they were nutrient poor actually.

SO what do you think phospahtes and nitrates measure in the water column at the Great Barrier Reef?

Average of 0.005ppm, far less than any of our test kits have resolution or accuracy to test for.

What I'm saying is that regardless of what the levels test to, there is a unlimited supply of nitrate and phosphate in NSW and it is ever flowing around, in, and through all parts of the ocean. That cannot be refuted.

Let's talk about this picture here. Are those Zoanthids expelling poop or Zooxanthelae?

IMG_9961.JPG

This is where it gets confusing, because they ARE, and they are NOT. What kind of nutrients are we talking about? ALL of the NPS corals on the reef are eating 24/7.

I changed my sig for you <3

HA!! I LOVE IT :lol:

So. I got a lot of stuff lately

Phosban 150 reactor

2 New LEDs

Bulk GFO

Bulk Premium Carbon

3 space saver jugs

B-Ionic Doser (up for sale already)

2 BRS dosers

Bulk Calcium Chloride

KALK :eek:

Toms pre-filter (thank you Piggy)

And also coming in Bulk Soda Ash (thank you Piggy)

Edited by metrokat
Average of 0.005ppm, far less than any of our test kits have resolution or accuracy to test for.

What I'm saying is that regardless of what the levels test to, there is a unlimited supply of nitrate and phosphate in NSW and it is ever flowing around, in, and through all parts of the ocean. That cannot be refuted.

According to Calfo, the great barrier reef measures 0.0003 PO4 at the surface, and less at 5+ feet of depth.

I'm terrible at reading today. Didn't see pooping part, just the expelling part. When they pass out waste it is normally a small, black pellet type thing. That's why I say it's expelling zoox.

According to Calfo, the great barrier reef measures 0.0003 PO4 at the surface, and less at 5+ feet of depth.

Average or single readings? Several places I see say the average is 0.005ppm. It obviously isn't constant, there are flows in and out of nutrients.

And yes, all NPS eat 24/7. Corals take in varieties of foods and nutrients, you know this. Just because they have, say, an unlimited supply of copepods to eat doesn't mean they're going to eat only copepods.

IMG_9961.JPG

I think they expelled a small B. Cardinal.

For what? I thought you got a reef controller. :huh:

BTW- Last time I measured my phos was 11 November 2011... and it was .23 ppm

I win!

I think mine were 0.15ppm last time. I hadn't dosed sugar in a while, and you know my feeding regime. :lol:

Have the basic controller for lights, heat, fans. Dosers need an add on module. Digital timers are $6. No brainer.

Add-on module = more control. Timers will go bad long before the module will.

Average or single readings? Several places I see say the average is 0.005ppm. It obviously isn't constant, there are flows in and out of nutrients.

And yes, all NPS eat 24/7. Corals take in varieties of foods and nutrients, you know this. Just because they have, say, an unlimited supply of copepods to eat doesn't mean they're going to eat only copepods.

Sorry to get into this on Kats thread, but here we are so..

Dude, thats exactly what I am trying to say. Corals are getting their PO4 and even NO3 requirements elsewhere. Not only from the water column, which should be zero. Also note that even when a nutrient such as PO4 may be vital to survival, it does not, and usually is not, available 24/7. Like a human. Do we need an constant IV of nutrients or can we just eat a few times per day ?

NPS corals are a perfect way to explain this. Anyone that has any experience with dendronepthyea or , scleronepthyea , know that even the slightest trace of nitrate or po4 will do them in. Therefore practically impossible to maintain in aquariums. They also have insanely high nutrient requirements and are one of the most abundant corals on most all temperate reefs. Corals get what they need mostly from light, and secondly by recycling fish waste. Mother nature TRIES to keep this perfectly balanced ( yin/yang), without any left over waste.

The low levels of PO4 on the reefs today ( and for christ sakes 0.005 ppm may just as well be zero) is due to pollution and an imbalance of the system. This is a concern.

I think the bug just nommed on zeph's spleen. ;)

All that being said, in our captive systems that do not have an unlimited and constant source of food, corals still need their nutrients - therefore, I believe nitrate and phosphate both need to be present and maintained in very low concentrations - but not altogether zero. Less than 5ppm nitrate and 0.05ppm phosphate, at the high end.

(just want to throw in that i have a lot of love and respect for ya, zephy. without you, i would have given up on clams altogether after my derasa ran away some time ago and wouldn't be the clam lover i am today ;) )

I think the bug just nommed on zeph's spleen. ;)

All that being said, in our captive systems that do not have an unlimited and constant source of food, corals still need their nutrients - therefore, I believe nitrate and phosphate both need to be present and maintained in very low concentrations - but not altogether zero. Less than 5ppm nitrate and 0.05ppm phosphate, at the high end.

(just want to throw in that i have a lot of love and respect for ya, zephy. without you, i would have given up on clams altogether after my derasa ran away some time ago and wouldn't be the clam lover i am today ;) )

Given up on CLAMS!!!!!???? Your not going gay on me are ya? :lol: