Coral Vue Hydros

Kat's Ol' Max

metrokat

thadscottmoore

dsc00868.jpg

This is an old photo of my kalk reactor and old ATO diy container. The Kalk reactor I still use- it was a simple acrylic build.

albertthiel
This is an old photo of my kalk reactor and old ATO diy container. The Kalk reactor I still use- it was a simple acrylic build.

If it works don't fix it ... :=)

Sorry guys! False alarm, I looked at it and looked at it and it wasn't right. So I re-did some coral placement. My camera settings were off too. Everything is pissed off now, and apparently one of my legs is short by 3 inches or so it seems when you see the crooked pictures I take :lol:

NEW FTS! omgomgomg

IMG_9521.JPG

Edited by metrokat

I think you need a bigger tank.

This scape looks much better than te one before.

Now about buying everything on that rack...?

I, too, dose Kalk and at about the same amount as you describe. I keep it mixed with my ATO water (with a cover on Zeph!). Look forward to seeing your latest creation!

I like when people do things correctly :)

FTS July 22, 2012

IMG_9516.JPG

Is that a YELLOW SCROLL I see there ??? Looks like the most awesome yellow scroll ever where on earth did you get that !?!?!?

Edited by ZephNYC

Is that a YELLOW SCROLL I see there ??? Looks like the most awesome yellow scroll ever where on earth did you get that !?!?!?

:wub: Thank you Zeph, I like coral presents from coral nappers.

Edited by metrokat
chippwalters

Dang, that's a beautiful tank! What wonderful corals. It's really come a long way. This video is so much better than your pics-- you need to shoot (or Phsop) better pictures!

2 MP-10s? Sweet! Are they sync'ed wirelessly yet? I just got a second one for my shallow-- though not so sure I need it, but couldn't resist the deal. Now to just get a Radion...

Dang, that's a beautiful tank! What wonderful corals. It's really come a long way. This video is so much better than your pics-- you need to shoot (or Phsop) better pictures!

2 MP-10s? Sweet! Are they sync'ed wirelessly yet? I just got a second one for my shallow-- though not so sure I need it, but couldn't resist the deal. Now to just get a Radion...

:blush::wub:

Thanks Chipp. Something is off with my camera. But I'll tell TS to take pics, he's the photographer in the family anyway.

Wow, just wow. You should get a bunch of open brains, scolys, and plate corals for the sandbed.
:eek: I just spent 6 months trying to clean up that sand bed!

I'm thinking about a blue or turquoise or green clam to grace the sand. I'm not into scolys or plates.

nice sump. tank is looking good :)

Thank you Marc!

Sorry guys! False alarm, I looked at it and looked at it and it wasn't right. So I re-did some coral placement. My camera settings were off too. Everything is pissed off now, and apparently one of my legs is short by 3 inches or so it seems when you see the crooked pictures I take :lol:

NEW FTS! omgomgomg

IMG_9521.JPG

Wow kat the new scape looks fantastic!very clean and natural looking...awesome job

I received my water test results from aquariumwatertesting.com today and they shocked me. I think they messed up.

Ammonia 0.000 (Good) My test shows the same

Nitrite 0.005 (Good) My test shows the same

Nitrate 3.5 (Good) My test shows zero

Phosphate 0.03 (Good) My test shows zero

Silica 3.5 (High)

Potassium 267 (Low)

Calcium 133 (Critical) My tests have always always always shown 490+

Molybdenum 0.0 (Low)

Stronium 22.9 (High)

Magnesium 1325 (Good) I test at 1500

Iodine 0.04 (Good)

Copper 0.01 (Good)

Alkalinity 1.9 meq/L or 5.0 dKH (Low) I test at 6.0 to 8.6

Needless to say I am quite unhappy about the calcium results. My calcium is simply not that low. I use red sea coral pro salt, and you have all seen my SPS, some may be browning but I have clearly shown growth progression which would not be possible without calcium. In addition, halimeda is a calcareous macro which is doing well in my tank. I am confident that these guys screwed up my results.

Time to buy another test kit for cross reference. Then you can call them up and "discuss" your findings.

Edited by LongPig
I received my water test results from aquariumwatertesting.com today and they shocked me. I think they messed up.

Ammonia 0.000 (Good) My test shows the same

Nitrite 0.005 (Good) My test shows the same

Nitrate 3.5 (Good) My test shows zero

Phosphate 0.03 (Good) My test shows zero

Silica 3.5 (High)

Potassium 267 (Low)

Calcium 133 (Critical) My tests have always always always shown 490+

Molybdenum 0.0 (Low)

Stronium 22.9 (High)

Magnesium 1325 (Good) I test at 1500

Iodine 0.04 (Good)

Copper 0.01 (Good)

Alkalinity 1.9 meq/L or 5.0 dKH (Low) I test at 6.0 to 8.6

Needless to say I am quite unhappy about the calcium results. My calcium is simply not that low. I use red sea coral pro salt, and you have all seen my SPS, some may be browning but I have clearly shown growth progression which would not be possible without calcium. In addition, halimeda is a calcareous macro which is doing well in my tank. I am confident that these guys screwed up my results.

I dont know kat..Id be inclined to trust their results. Its seems most of your sps have been able to adjust to the low calcium and since you perform regular water changes your able to keep the minimal amount needed to keep them healthy but every species is a bit difference in their tolerance of certain parameters. For instance my monti digis dont do well if my potassium levels are below 200 yet my acros and millis are unaffected. Sps can be pretty tough and adjust to less than ideal parameters as long the changes arent sudden... at least thats been my experience.I see many reefers claim you have to keep your alk between 9-11dkh to keep sps but i keep mine between 6-7dkh with no ill results.

Well I guess the good news its time for you start dosing calcium and alk :D

Quick question did you send your test sample before or after your water change?

Edited by Rehype
jedimasterben

SPS don't adjust to low calcium levels - they suffer and wither. 133ppm is not enough for any coral that I know of that produces a calcium carbonate skeleton.

I dont know kat..Id be inclined to trust their results. Its seems most of your sps have been able to adjust to the low calcium and since you perform regular water changes your able to keep the minimal amount needed to keep them healthy but every species is a bit difference in their tolerance of certain parameters. For instance my monti digis dont do well if my potassium levels are below 200 yet my acros and millis are unaffected. Sps are pretty tough and can adjust to less than ideal parameters as long the changes arent sudden... at least thats been my experience.I see many reefers claim you have to keep your alk between 9-11dkh to keep sps but i keep mine between 6-7dkh with no ill results.

Well I guess the good news its time for you start dosing calcium and alk :D

Quick question did you send your test sample before or after your water change?

Kalk drip was started today. Why is my Salifert testing at 490+ and they say it is 133, that is a significant difference. I guess I'm bringing a bottle of water to your place this weekend. :)

Kalk drip was started today. Why is my Salifert testing at 490+ and they say it is 133, that is a significant difference. I guess I'm bringing a bottle of water to your place this weekend. :)

...and a bottle of wine to mine...