SaltCritters.com

Kat's Ol' Max

metrokat

Con il tempo ho fatto io con te non può avere le palle a sinistra vecchio

getoverit.gif

Lmao ! You need some new lines Batgirl, the old man jokes are getting STALE.

:slap:

Reading all the posts I think it is getting confusing to you probably.

So what are you going to do ...

If your corals are doing OK as you said, and if you measure a high calcium content, then what are you going to go by Kat ...

Are they actually saying that you should NOT add KW ?

That seems to go against what so many of us do to maintain the calcium level ....

:huh: No, I'm not confused at all.

I believe my calcium is adequate.

They say "free calcium" is low. Since this is not something I can test for, I will be reading up on the suggestion of adding calcium chloride. In the meantime I am niether worried that it is high or low. I'm upset at their test result, but my tank seems fine to me. I am checking Calcium in a few days with a Hanna meter, and that will tell me if my Salifert kit is bad or not.

There is no "need" to add KALK. Most people do it to raise Calcium levels while maintaining alkalinity in a balanced ratio. Since my calcium has always been fine, I do not believe I "need" KALK. I'm trying it because Zeph insisted and I do know that KALK "maintains" the numbers in the tank. I think I will be fine if I switched from KALK back to just dosing buffer.

Step 1 however is getting the calcium reading from the Hannah Checker this weekend.

1. If you find that calcium is 490 (or higher) as you suspect, you can just stop dosing until the level drops back down to 420-440. Just keep an eye on your alkalinity to make sure it doesn't drop too far (should be approx. 3.2 meq/l when calcium is around 420 ppm). If alkalinity falls low, just add an appropriate product to raise it. Once calcium and alkalinity are within the proper ranges, then you can use either Kalk (my preference) or a 'Two Part' since both provide calcium and alkalinity in a balance proportion as they are used by organisms in calcification. Keep the alkalinity boost product handy, though, since alkalinity often tends to drop just a bit faster than calcium levels, so you may need to adjust once in a while. I've never had pH trouble, but certainly can't hurt to check as you make adjustments.

If you decide to dose Calcium chloride for any length of time, be aware that you run the rise of eventually disrupting the water's chlorine/sulphur ratio. Also, don't add too much too quickly or you can decrease pH and alkalinity.

3. If you are not having unusually bad outbreaks of dino, I wouldn't worry much about the silica level at this point. Some silica is natural and good for the tank's food webs.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. I have no dino at the moment. Never had it actually.

dKH is at 8.6 right now, and previous testing showed my tank uses about 0.3 per day. I'll test again this week and then just add buffer.

if it is so expensive that no one tests for it, then why do they only report on it? if your tank was truly low on calcium, your stony corals could not grow, but they are. i would not bother with them and rely on your test kits. unless there is a way to dose and only raise free calcium (there is not, excess free calcium will precipitate with carbonate and cause more issues), just use your normal kit.

and buffer is what raises alkalinity. stop dosing buffer and only calcium and you will lose you alkalinity fast.

No I'm not going to dose just calcium, I need buffer for sure.

If you decide to dose Calcium chloride for any length of time, be aware that you run the rise of eventually disrupting the water's chlorine/sulphur ratio. Also, don't add too much too quickly or you can decrease pH and alkalinity.

Precisely the reason I dont like any calcium except Kalk. NO CHLORIDES

Just how I like my clams. ;)

NEWS ALERT:

After convincing me just how awesome she is...

Metrokat: Im so fly!

Batgirls status has beed raised to Grade A Squamosa.

(the panel was out for about 45 minutes on this one)

jedimasterben
NEWS ALERT:

take a number, shes always been a grade a squamosa to me! ;)

take a number, shes always been a grade a squamosa to me! ;)

Hey Ben, forgive me for being forgetful ( kat often calls me dumbell), but do you curently have any clams in the 560 ppm calcium reef of yours?

albertthiel
NEWS ALERT:

+1

Oh yeah, I got a new sharknose goby!

Take that kitty kat :P

Oh I'm so JEALOUS! Where do you live and when are you going out of town?

I has cooties!

egyptian.gif

IMG_20120724_204352.jpg

Ben, I hope these are my cooties and not some residual of yours?! That would make me mad.

There is no way your Ca is 133.

+1

They goofed. I'm pretty sure there is threshold where coral no longer can take up the calcium. I would be surprised to find a tank with below 300 calcium unless it was a bad batch of salt. Lowest I have ever seen my tank with neglect was 320 ish.

Your tank looks great btw :)

jedimasterben
Hey Ben, forgive me for being forgetful ( kat often calls me dumbell), but do you curently have any clams in the 560 ppm calcium reef of yours?

No, I don't. I had a derasa until an ####### BTA walked over it. I've never anything disappear like that clam did. The flesh was 110% completely gone from the shell within less than 24 hours (that was how long I was gone). It was insane. I'm about to take another calcium reading with my Hanna checker right now.

Oh I'm so JEALOUS! Where do you live and when are you going out of town?

I has cooties!

egyptian.gif

IMG_20120724_204352.jpg

Ben, I hope these are my cooties and not some residual of yours?! That would make me mad.

Nope, those are all your cooties. i kinda want some.

+1

They goofed. I'm pretty sure there is threshold where coral no longer can take up the calcium. I would be surprised to find a tank with below 300 calcium unless it was a bad batch of salt. Lowest I have ever seen my tank with neglect was 320 ish.

Your tank looks great btw :)

Thank you! :)

Yesterday I did a water change on the system.

Stopped dosing KALK.

Will test parameters a little later on.

Yellow Clown Goby is still out of my reach at the back of the sump. argh.

Anyone know how to clean the felt filter sock?

jedimasterben
Yesterday I did a water change on the system.

Stopped dosing KALK.

Will test parameters a little later on.

Yellow Clown Goby is still out of my reach at the back of the sump. argh.

Anyone know how to clean the felt filter sock?

I throw mine in the washing machine, no detergent or anything. Let em dry and throw them back in.

• Like 1
I throw mine in the washing machine, no detergent or anything. Let em dry and throw them back in.

never thought of that. very clever

altolamprologus

I'm paranoid about getting detergent residue on them so I just take them outside and powerwash them with the hose

jedimasterben
I'm paranoid about getting detergent residue on them so I just take them outside and powerwash them with the hose

That never works as well for me. I always put mine on double rinse, have never had a problem before.

jedimasterben
Schmoopy the Betta fish, died today. :(

He was about 2.5 or 3 years old.

:(

Poor Schmoopy. :tears:

lol schmoopy. best name for a betta ever, besides Moe.

altolamprologus
Schmoopy the Betta fish, died today. :(

He was about 2.5 or 3 years old.

:(

Sorry Kat :( At least he lived his full lifespan