inTank Media Baskets

Kat's Ol' Max

metrokat

jedimasterben
ever since I read that post about picturing your muppet saying whatever you type, it's all I can do. This worked perfectly.

Does it help that I can do a pretty mean rendition of Pepe's voice? :)

"I am not a shrimp, I am a KING PRAWN!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mteZUShB1Qo

Edited by jedimasterben
You got it babe !! Right after you switch yours to this.

the20oldshoes.jpg

Im in staples right now hiding from the 100 degree temp.

This is like Comedy Central in here.

HEY JEDI !!

Dont ask me why, but for some reason I thought of you after this conversation with Kat.

Zeph: I just got my haircut, and the phone number of the girl that cut it

MetroKat: ooohhh new clam. i like it

jedimasterben
HEY JEDI !!

Dont ask me why, but for some reason I thought of you after this conversation with Kat.

Zeph: I just got my haircut, and the phone number of the girl that cut it

MetroKat: ooohhh new clam. i like it

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

OMG it's ALIVE!!!!!

My Apex emailed me for the first time just now.

Except I can't figure out if it's sending me an alarm or just a status report.

Brian, Solefald, help!!!!

Alarm Statement: If Temp > 80.0 Then ON

Jul 19 2012 18:42:06

Temp

BigWhiteFan is ON Auto

FugeFan is ON Auto

FugeLight is OFF Auto

Heater_I4 is OFF Manual

SndAlm_I6 is OFF Auto

SndWrn_I7 is OFF Auto

EmailAlm_I5 is OFF Auto

Power Failed: Jun 21 2012 19:27:55

Power Restored: Jun 21 2012 19:28:49

Jul 19 2012 18:45:00

Temp

:huh:

jedimasterben
OMG it's ALIVE!!!!!

My Apex emailed me for the first time just now.

Except I can't figure out if it's sending me an alarm or just a status report.

Brian, Solefald, help!!!!

Jul 19 2012 18:42:06

Temp

BigWhiteFan is ON Auto

FugeFan is ON Auto

FugeLight is OFF Auto

Heater_I4 is OFF Manual

SndAlm_I6 is OFF Auto

SndWrn_I7 is OFF Auto

EmailAlm_I5 is OFF Auto

Power Failed: Jun 21 2012 19:27:55

Power Restored: Jun 21 2012 19:28:49

Jul 19 2012 18:45:00

Temp

I believe that means that it is very, very close to the temperature threshold you set of 80 degrees.

albertthiel
So my Apex emailed me 40 times in 75 minutes today. After never once emailing me before.

:blink:

Some kind of setting I guess Kat

jedimasterben
So my Apex emailed me 40 times in 75 minutes today. After never once emailing me before.

:blink:

It really really really wanted you to pay it some attention. :P

Week #2 with the sump

I was scared to do water changes as that would require shutting down the sump. I read that people shut the sump down twice daily to feed their animals and that sounded like 2 heart attacks in a day to me. Lucky for me I don't have to shut it down to feed the tank because the RSM is built with back chambers that hold 5G of water. The back chambers is where my overflow box and return from the sump are also located. When I shut off the pumps that carry water from the back of the tank to the display, the water in the display is pretty much contained while the sump continues to do its thing.

My sump came with a 300 micron mesh filter sock. As LongPig predicted, the sock did not catch anything but XL things. I was unable to use Stevie T's media basket with even the barest filter floss layer because as soon as that floss got clogged, I had a water level problem, it rose in the tank.

I found that opinions on filter sock are as varied as any other part of this hobby. Jeff at LifeReefs says he does not use them in his sumps as they catch filter foods which refugium animals would like to have. My sump maker and several other hobbyists suggested I stick to the mesh bags otherwise I would be changing the sock every second day they said. I thought I would try a 200 micron felt sock and I just got my marine depot shipment. So I shut down the sump for the very first time today! :scarry:

Did what I had to do. Turned on the pump. Wow. Flawlessly started back up! :happydance:

The new sock has slowed down the water somewhat, so I tried to compensate for it, it is fine for now. Since I can no longer use Stevie T's basket, I used the mesh filter sock as a holder for my carbon and purigen. Put the 200 micron felt sock inside of that one. And started it back up. Hope the tank will be clear now.

I noticed all the vinyl pipes in my system have a whitish residue on the inside. I have not started dosing KALK, the only thing I am dosing is buffer to raise my dKH. I added FUEL on Sunday. So other than it being salt, or something FUEL or buffer caused, I was clueless.

When I shut down the sump to change out the filter sock, the first thing I noticed was that the vinyl pipe going into the sock was slimy. This is normal but I cut a little piece of the pipe to see what the slime was. :huh:

IMG_20120720_144514.jpg

It's horrible! What can it be?!

Also, I cleaned out the back chambers of the tank and found a lot of sponges. No I'm not talking about those cute pineapple sponges. I mean REAL sponges. These feel abrasive/rough like the natural beige sea sponges that you bathe with! I'm growing sponges! What is this, a cryptic fuge in the back of my tank?!

The sponges look whitish/ivory in the water, but have turned the same beige that a sea sponge for bathing looks like.

IMG_20120720_144219.jpg

IMG_20120720_144025.jpg

Honestly, I thought I had pieces of foam that got stuck in the chamber somehow, but no! These are real sea sponges type of things. :o

Okay so that brings me to a few questions.

WHAT THE HECK AM I DOING that my tank is growing sponges?!

Does that mean I can keep sponge eating fancy nudis?

Does that mena I should keep sponge eating animals?

The sponges probably aren't going to grow quick enough to support one unless you have a lot. I'm also guessing they grew in the back for a reason rather than in the display, so you may never see the nudi.

Also, clean your ears more often. That's disgusting!

The sponges probably aren't going to grow quick enough to support one unless you have a lot. I'm also guessing they grew in the back for a reason rather than in the display, so you may never see the nudi.

Also, clean your ears more often. That's disgusting!

ha ha

really though, what could that gunk be. Anybody used FUEL?

jedimasterben

the tubes have just a film in them, it grows naturally. all my tanks that have ever had tubing have grown it, harmless. the pvc tubing also gets cloudy, thats just how it goes, unfortunately. even happens in my computer's cooling system that uses copper sulfate to inhibit any life in the closed loop.

albertthiel
ha ha

really though, what could that gunk be. Anybody used FUEL?

Microfilm will build up in all pipes and tubes and is yet another location for bacterial growth that is beneficial for filtration IME

Albert

Thank you Mister Napper. I start KALK today.

Scape is re-done by tomorrow.

Time for a new tank video then. :naughtydance:

What song should play in the background to the video???

George Therogood (sp?) - BAD TO THE BONE.

I know...old school <sigh>

Edited by ZephNYC
albertthiel
Thank you Mister Napper. I start KALK today.

Scape is re-done by tomorrow.

Time for a new tank video then. :naughtydance:

What song should play in the background to the video???

We are the Champions ....

:=)

albertthiel
You guys!

Mag 1500

Calcium 495

dKH 8.6

Po4 0

With calcium at 495 ... now much KW do you think you are going to be adding (I guess in the sump)

I would watch that level as 495 is IMO already on the high side although still OK IME but by adding KW you may find that it may go up too high ... not sure how it is going to gel out when you add it

Thoughts?

Albert

jedimasterben
With calcium at 495 ... now much KW do you think you are going to be adding (I guess in the sump)

I would watch that level as 495 is IMO already on the high side although still OK IME but by adding KW you may find that it may go up too high ... not sure how it is going to gel out when you add it

Thoughts?

Albert

+1, I would only dose the alk part of 2-part for right now to get the alk up, when calcium gets too high it can actually be detrimental. :eek: