Pod Your Reef

Kat's Ol' Max

metrokat

Is he eating/breathing/acting strange at all?

Eating normally

Breathing normally

Not acting strange

It's such a little fish, a parasite will take over in no time. IF only I can identify what it might be, I can possibly treat it.

Sickee Poo Fishie :(

I noticed one of my neon gobies had a bump on his body. It's a protrusion, a tumor, of some sort. It looks perfectly round and beige/white. No it's not ich/ick Sp?), I know what ich looks like. This seems to be a parasitic type of thing, almost coming out of his body.

I tried to get a picture but of course it's a little neon fish. Will try to get more pics tomorrow. Overall the fish is still active like always. Surprisingly the other neon or the cleaner shrimp has not cleaned this fish iup yet.

All other fish are fine. The last addition of fish to this tank was April.

IMG_9582.JPG

Does it look almost rectangular/squarish?

My old Neon Goby had something that looks just like that! I figured it was some sort of parasite. It just went away on its own, but left a scar

Yeah mine looked a little whiter (unless that's just the lighting?) and a little more elongated, but looks close enough. My goby's behavior also didn't change at all

Sickee Poo Fishie Update: The tumor or whatever it was has gone, there is an indentation where it used to be, almost like a gash. Fish is doing just fine. :)

Pithurs!

Pipe Organ coral sprouting babies

IMG_9588.JPG

HitchHiker coral cluster on my rock, not sure what it is

IMG_9591.JPG

The new 453nm LED's have added a new color shimmer to the pink bird

IMG_9599.JPG

I have never seen PE on the yellow millie quite like this before. at 15dKH no less. And the polyps are green

IMG_9600.JPG

Yowzaaa! Look at that green

IMG_9604.JPG

You want to see progression shots?

Cephastrea when I first got it in March

IMG_4139.JPG

Browning out in my tank (light issue) May

IMG_4589.JPG

And lately, got it's mojo back baby! July

IMG_9610.JPG

New Green Eyed Leptastrea

IMG_9611.JPG

Xenia and gorgonian

IMG_9623.JPG

Jason Fox Leptastrea in actinics

IMG_9566.JPG

Nano sapiens

Great to hear that the Neon Goby is okay :)

The 'Green Eyed Leptastrea' is very similar to mine. It's the only coral I still have that I know the exact location of collection. I also know that the reef it was collected from many, many years ago was completely destroyed about 10 years ago by a cement factory built nearby ;(

Edited by Nano sapiens
Great to hear that the Neon Goby is okay :)

The 'Green Eyed Leptastrea' is very similar to mine. It's the only coral I still have that I know the exact location of collection. I also know that the reef it was collected from many, many years ago was completely destroyed about 10 years ago by a cement factory built nearby ;(

:o seriously?! that's sad.

albertthiel
Sickee Poo Fishie Update: The tumor or whatever it was has gone, there is an indentation where it used to be, almost like a gash. Fish is doing just fine. :)

Looks GREAT ... and you say 15 dKH wow .. guess Zeph convinced you to raise it :=)

Did you use the two part or just KW ?

Looks GREAT ... and you say 15 dKH wow .. guess Zeph convinced you to raise it :=)

Did you use the two part or just KW ?

Thanks Albert. Answer to your Q is below.

The gravity drip wasn't set properly the day before and dumped 32oz of buffer solution in a 12 hour period, my dKH was 15, corals were outstanding! :huh:

15 ... a tad high BUT is the coral look outstanding I guess they "like" it ....
albertthiel
Thanks Albert. Answer to your Q is below.

Are you going to lower it or leave it at that level ... interesting that the corals are looking so great at that dKH. Maybe you are on to something !

Are you going to lower it or leave it at that level ... interesting that the corals are looking so great at that dKH. Maybe you are on to something !

It did drop in subsequent days, and the tank is on a KALK drip. High dKH also lowered my Calcium considerably so it was the perfect time to begin KALK. I don't know what high dKH does for corals. Zeph tells me all these random facts and then he disappears to buy clams or to take them out to dinner or something. :rolleyes:

I definitely have the makings of a cryptic fuge in the back chambers of the tank! I'm still growing sponges, it's nasty in there. :o SO much wasted space, I'm really mad that I can't use my Stevie T media basket.

IMG_20120801_175148.jpg

I have a whole 5 gallons of space in that compartment, I think I might throw in some Xenia and let it take over. Such a waste of perfectly good real estate.

I could put back my nano reactor there too.

Edited by metrokat
Nano sapiens

After 4+ years, you should see what the back chambers of my Nano look like. I have spinoid worms and sponges galore (feels like rubbing against broken glass if I stick my hand back in there).

Edited by Nano sapiens
I definitely have the makings of a cryptic fuge in the back chambers of the tank! I'm still growing sponges, it's nasty in there. :o SO much wasted space, I'm really mad that I can't use my Stevie T media basket.

IMG_20120801_175148.jpg

I have a whole 5 gallons of space in that compartment, I think I might throw in some Xenia and let it take over. Such a waste of perfectly good real estate.

I could put back my nano reactor there too.

OK, now you can put another MP10 whre the electric box was and be just like Deckoz, aka Brad!!!!!

Nice tank kat! Nice to know the fish was fine after all.

and keep the name. It looks so nice in your sig:

"fabulous max"

"fashionable pico"

"badass BC14"

I lol every time.

If you can build up your sponge population it would be perfect for filtration, so I wouldn't consider it a waste of space. The NPS tank at the Aquarium of the Pacific uses a cryptic sponge/live rock refugium for helpful biological filtration. (I know they actually state there is no refugium, but obviously they describe a cryptic refugium)

http://www.reefaddicts.com/content.php/43-...c-Long-Beach-CA

If you can build up your sponge population it would be perfect for filtration, so I wouldn't consider it a waste of space. The NPS tank at the Aquarium of the Pacific uses a cryptic sponge/live rock refugium for helpful biological filtration. (I know they actually state there is no refugium, but obviously they describe a cryptic refugium)

http://www.reefaddicts.com/content.php/43-...c-Long-Beach-CA

Thanks for the link! A cryptic fuge may not be 100% what I want but some form of it would be good. The sponges I am growing are not the cute pineapples so there seems to be some nutrient in my tank that allows their growth without any help from me. At the same time I've taken steps to reduce the nutrient levels in my tank (skimmer, microbacter7 dosing, phos reactor etc etc) so I'm not sure where this is going. So far it has not stopped the sponge growth at all.

It did drop in subsequent days, and the tank is on a KALK drip. High dKH also lowered my Calcium considerably so it was the perfect time to begin KALK. I don't know what high dKH does for corals. Zeph tells me all these random facts and then he disappears to buy clams or to take them out to dinner or something. :rolleyes:

No clams tonight Batgirl, just working on tanks. But I get paid this weekend so Im counting on some SERIOUS CLAMMING.

Yea...keep your dkh high, like 10 - 15. I just measured mine tonight at 12, but my calcium was low only 380-400 because I set up a kalk drip and stopped adding 2 gallons daily manually.

This is more important for your sps.The best sps tanks almost always have higher dkh than mother natures 8.0 range. Your sps's are constantly combining the carbonates from your dkh with your calcium to grow, so a little extra is a good thing since we are not as perfect as monther nature and need extra help. The acids constantly produced by your fish are lowering your ph and your dkh, so when you keep it higher you will have less ph swings and increased calcification. It is not uncommon for sps tanks to keep dkh at 15 - 20, but i say aim for atleast 10 to keep things nice.

Capisce??

No clams tonight Batgirl, just working on tanks. But I get paid this weekend so Im counting on some SERIOUS CLAMMING.

Yea...keep your dkh high, like 10 - 15. I just measured mine tonight at 12, but my calcium was low only 380-400 because I set up a kalk drip and stopped adding 2 gallons daily manually.

This is more important for your sps.The best sps tanks almost always have higher dkh than mother natures 8.0 range. Your sps's are constantly combining the carbonates from your dkh with your calcium to grow, so a little extra is a good thing since we are not as perfect as monther nature and need extra help. The acids constantly produced by your fish are lowering your ph and your dkh, so when you keep it higher you will have less ph swings and increased calcification. It is not uncommon for sps tanks to keep dkh at 15 - 20, but i say aim for atleast 10 to keep things nice.

Capisce??

Yes sir master chief. :huh: