Top Shelf Aquatics

40G SPS Masterpiece *New Coral Pics*

scottyreef

Dang i cant wait to see the new piece!! I think i may just have to try some of this dosing if it works out for you. I know you are not getting many replies when you update about it but trust me, i am paying very close attention.

I am interested and watching as well.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• scottyreef

• pismo_reefer

• Jacobnano

• lilredneckman

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Results I feed my tank exactly 1ml of actic pods and .5 ml og reef chili a week no other food i put into the tank during the week. and i week past i got very little skimate for my Tunze DOC 9002 maybe about 5-10ml per week of weak tea skimate

Now Since i have been doing vodka dosing with no other changes in feeding or dosing i get from this first full week 80ml of dark brown skimmate

Results

IMG_1354.jpg

IMG_1360.jpg

GROSS

Very impressive tank... keeping SPS in a nano is challenging enough but you made it seems so effortless :happy: Any improvement in parameters after dosing Vodka? I have a bottle lying somewhere -_-

my parameter were always good but since i seen my friend do it on his tank with good results i decided to try her out my NO3 and PO4 are pretty much nonexistent my water clarity has stayed about the same my colors are getting a lot better quite a few of my coral are become more purple and the greens are getting a lot brighter aswell.

true true it hard to keep sps in any tank but it is more challenging in a smaller but if you keep to the basics. Have a good skimmer,light, and dose mag, alk, and ca you will be in good shape but you best friend is a ATO and a fan keeping you temp cool and your water SG correct is very important to keeping sps

thanks for all your nice comments and if you are going to dose vodka go slow and dont expect results immidietly

Edited by scottyreef

Hey i have a oportunity to get a Deltec MC500 Skimmer for $325 and i am wondering if i should do it or not the skimmer is 6 months old and work perfectly. My question is it it worth me upgrading from the Tunze 9002 DOC to the Deltec.

Alright thanks, was just wondering because im interested in dosing vodka in my monitpora aquarium. And my mom said she could go to the liquor store and pick me up whatever kind of vodka i needed. Thanks!

yeah mom tell her to pick up some cranberry juice and some ice while she's there......for the tank :lol:

make sure you have some thing to measure out the vodka very presisely i use diabetic syringes that are 1ml total with .1 ml increments

Edited by scottyreef

I have a mc500 (and a 9002 and a remora, just like you lolz), definitely outperforms the tunze by a lot. luckily for you, the 9002 has a high resale value so I bet you can easily recoup 100 bucks or more.

It also is less fickle about water level. I'd try to bargain the mc500 down a bit but It's a worthwhile investment if you can a. make it fit and b. have the spare funds

thanks if you go to a vet or medical supply store or pharmacy you can as for the diabetic syringe there and if the are worried about you doing drug tell them they can take the needle off and dispose of it for you. i get mine from my wife who's a nurse or you can find them online at lab supply stores

i have about 12 skimmers as of right now 2 aqua c's, one tunze 9002, one tunze 9010, one 150 proclear aquatics, ATI bubble master 160, then the rest are coralife's and red sea and other crappy skimmers i have aquired over the years I should really have a garage sale. I am also saving up for a bubble king 200 mini

As for the deltec i might get if from him but it still up in the air the guys getting a divorce and he has to liquidate some of his reef stuff

Vodka dosing day 8 still much of the same algae production is down my skimmer is still has a good foam to it. I decided not to empty the skimmer cup until the full month has gone by and i the skimmer cup fills to the top i will note and empty it. I want to see how much skimate i can pull out during the 4 week trials

Mini Update i am going to get a Giesemann 230 Eco/Plus System 1 x 150W MH + 2 x 24W T5 from a Coral Prop friend for $380 I guess i am gon going to get the Deltec because its not as new as he said it was ( the skimmer looked like crap)