SaltCritters.com

40G SPS Masterpiece *New Coral Pics*

scottyreef

scottyreef

here is my new ORA Seriatopora guttatus (Green Bird's Nest) i think but i am not completly sure it might be Green Stylophora but that is another debate

IMG_0424-1.jpg

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• scottyreef

• pismo_reefer

• Jacobnano

• lilredneckman

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

scottyreef

well i hope every thing i have bought over the last few weeks last i was told that i have to fly to Mati in the Philippines on thursday to do some engineering work and i wont be back until the 31st. well i guess we will see is the auto top of and dosing works when i am not there

here is a nightshot of the tank i just took

IMG_0475.jpg

scottyreef

well plans are off for mati now i am just flying back to califorina and here is another tank update i got some orange monti today

IMG_0489.jpg

IMG_0490.jpg

IMG_0491.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here are the pics of the shipment i got today from spankey all of the new corals are on the frag squares except for the small piece of Tyree Undata

ORA Marshal Island Tri Color,Acropora Loripes,Larry Jackson Tri Color

IMG_0926.jpg

ORA Blue Millipora,ORA Montipora Spongodes,Green Slimmer,Blue Slimmer

IMG_0928.jpg

Chips Acro

IMG_0929.jpg

Orange Cap (free)

IMG_0931.jpg

Purple cap

IMG_0932.jpg

great stuff

• 2 weeks later...

well i got another shipment of great sps corals from NR member spankey today and i have to say my frag rack is filling up very fast

IMG_0965.jpg

IMG_0966.jpg

IMG_0967.jpg

IMG_0968.jpg

here is my new ORA Seriatopora guttatus (Green Bird's Nest) i think but i am not completly sure it might be Green Stylophora but that is another debate

IMG_0424-1.jpg

Fraggle reef has this labled as "green pocilopora". It may be that. I got some that looks identical. Nice Tank!

So could you give a quick summary on what you do to keep your water quality where it needs to be with such a nice selection of SPS? I will be setting up a 16g nano shortly and plan to do SPS as well so any advice would be great.

Love how you have this set-up by the way.

It is important to keep you approach simple dont over dose on chemicals just keep to the basic rules of sps coral.

Calcium:

Minimum level 400 ppm.

Ideal level 450 ppm

trace elements: I only add three

Strontium 8–12 ppm (Strontium is in very high concentrate in the worlds oceans so i think corals need it)

Iodine .08 ppm ( potassium iodide to be exact is one drop per 20 gallons from a eye dropper every week or so)

Magnesium 1200–1350ppm ( very important and needs to be tested i test after each water change)

Ammonia: Should be at or near zero

Nitrite: Should be zero

Nitrate : Should be well below 10 ppm, but optimally as close to zero is best.

Phosphate : Should be below 0.3 ppm

pH : 8.2-8.4 acceptable range.

Alkalinity

3.2-4.5 meq/L considered optimum.

Temperature 78-84°F

Salinity :1.025 to 1.027 (specific gravity of natural sea water) is considered optimal.

The use of a good quality protein skimmer helps to keep organic compounds levels down

Water Movement: SPS corals require a water surge to flush debris from their surfaces. so the more the water flow you have the better off you are

SPS require high light levels produced by T5HO fluorescent or metal halide lighting 6-9 watts per gallon

the items i put into my tank to take care of Phosphates and other unwanted is, purgien, seagel carbon/phosphate conrol and chemi-pure elite with ferric oxide to contol silicates

well i hope this helps

Here is a pic of a beautiful Acro Colony i got today it even came with this little Tetralia commensal crab a must for any Acro colony

IMG_0981.jpg

Nice tank. It's shaping up well. I was considering this setup too. It looks pretty shallow from front to back- how much room do you have from the front of the glass to the wall of the overflow for aquascaping?

Thanks!

Here is a pic of a beautiful Acro Colony i got today it even came with this little Tetralia commensal crab a must for any Acro colony

IMG_0981.jpg

its about 9" wide from the glass to the back wall and 23 1/2" wide and 13" deep for water level it gives you a lot of room for display and a lot of room for skimmers and heaters and decent size refugium for maro alage extra rubble and plenty of space for chemipure and other carbon cleaning agents in the back

Edited by scottyreef
scottyreef

well i have got and traded a lot of new things lately i got two Oregon Blue torts two large Acro colonies and Acro Efflo

IMG_0999.jpg

IMG_1001.jpg

IMG_1003.jpg

IMG_1004.jpg

IMG_0982.jpg

so what do you guys think?

Edited by scottyreef
scottyreef

I think i have a pistol shrimp......great. i am hearing some clicking coming from my tank i think i might of either had a mantis hitchhiker or a pistol shrimp free loader

scottyreef

ah.... false alarm no mantis or pistol just with all the flow a pieace of live rock was tapping against the glass. i guess i jumped to conclusions. on a side note i am thinking of buying a Sunpod 250W HQI to replace my Sunpod 150W HQI. i have a frined how has a brand new one and is selling for cheap. do you guys think 250watts is too much for a 22 gallon tank? I have a 1/10 jbj chiller and it stays at a pretty steady 79 degrees

I noticed in your pics there was no skimmer- are you using one? I saw on your first post mention of the Tunze 9002 which you chose not to buy.

Thanks!

ah.... false alarm no mantis or pistol just with all the flow a pieace of live rock was tapping against the glass. i guess i jumped to conclusions. on a side note i am thinking of buying a Sunpod 250W HQI to replace my Sunpod 150W HQI. i have a frined how has a brand new one and is selling for cheap. do you guys think 250watts is too much for a 22 gallon tank? I have a 1/10 jbj chiller and it stays at a pretty steady 79 degrees
scottyreef

i am using a protien skimmer but i am using a Aqua C Ramora with a MJ1200 i have the 9002 DOC still in the box but i am getting good results from the aqua c for right now but i still might go with the 9002 so for right now the ramora wis working great and thanks i need to change the tank breakdown

IMG_1095.jpg

Edited by scottyreef

My SPS corals as of July 9, 2008

2- ORA Marshal Island Tri Color (resembles purple bonzia- purple with neon green polyps)

2- Green Slimmer

ORA Blue Millipora

Acropora Loripes (purplish grey with white polyps)

Blue Slimmer

2- Larry Jackson Tri Color

2- ORA Chips Acro

ORA Montipora Spongodes green/green

ORA Montipora Spongodes green/purple

Purple Monti cap

Orange Monti cap

Reverse Pokerstar Monti

Montipora Undata

Alexander the Grape Montipora Cap

Strawberry fields montipora

ORA Tri-Color Valida

Oregon blue tort

Cali blue tort

Acropora Efflorescens

Greg Hillar Aqua Delight

Eddie Bauer Acropora Vermiculata

Green with purple tip long Stalk Acro

Acropora Cerealis pink and purple with yellow tips

Acropora Tenuis pink with purple tips

Blue with green polyps Millipora

German Blue polyp digitata

Edited by scottyreef

Thanks for the pic of your skimmer and info. I'm downsizing to the 22g cadlights and am unsure whether to stick with the mce-300 I have or get the tunze. I had a remora pro as well, and the issue I had with is was the noise as it was quite loud. How's the regular remora noise wise? Ken at oceanreeflections said he recommends the Tunze, so if you do set it up I'd love to hear your opinion.

Thanks for answering all of my questions by the way!

My SPS corals as of July 9, 2008

2- ORA Marshal Island Tri Color (resembles purple bonzia- purple with neon green polyps)

2- Green Slimmer

ORA Blue Millipora

Acropora Loripes (purplish grey with white polyps)

Blue Slimmer

2- Larry Jackson Tri Color

2- ORA Chips Acro

ORA Montipora Spongodes green/green

ORA Montipora Spongodes green/purple

Purple Monti cap

Orange Monti cap

Reverse Pokerstar Monti

Montipora Undata

Alexander the Grape Montipora Cap

Strawberry fields montipora

ORA Tri-Color Valida