Cultivated Reef

40G SPS Masterpiece *New Coral Pics*

scottyreef

well i have decided to start vodka dosing tonight to help bring out more color in my coral. I have been tagging along with my LFS buddy dosing on his tank for the last 4 weeks. I am really amazed with the results he got on his tank so i decided to try it out on mine.

i am going to be dosing by the guide below and i will update weeky on tank progress

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-08/nftt/index.php

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• scottyreef

• pismo_reefer

• Jacobnano

• lilredneckman

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Purple Bonsi

IMG_1238.jpg

Greman Blue Poly Digita

IMG_1237.jpg

Pink Panther Acropora Cerealis

IMG_1242.jpg

Mystery Hard Coral ( i dont even know what species it is)

068.jpg

Edited by scottyreef

I've had my cadlights 22 running for about a week now with the new t5ho with individual reflectors. The tank usually gets pretty warm by the end of the day. I see you have a fan running to cut down on heat on your MH. May I ask what temp your tank currently runs at? I'm cringing at the thought of buying a chiller...

I have the tunze 9002 also and was a bit disappointed to find it didn't fit front to back in the rear of the tank, but it seems to be skimming alright. Do you like your chiller BTW?

Thanks.

Edited by jpluttme

well my tank runs at 77-79 with the fan going and my houses AC on i do have a chiller but its set for 82 so it will only come if there is a problem. You should be fine also long as the surrounding room is cooler that the tank you should be fine with a fan but make sure you have a lot of top off water to combat the evaporation. yeah the 9002 doesnt fit the way i wanted but it works great so i am still happy with it.

I am dosing this tank with a dual head masterflex dosing pump but in the past i have used calium reactors but i would rather not use it on something so small

I have some or acans that i need to take a picture of that i also got from the zoanuts BOC sale

second day of vodka dosing i have noticed that after i dose the vodka my skimmer goes nuts i wonder if thats common. other than that i have seen no results

Edited by scottyreef

Vodka dosing day three i have noticed a quite a bit less algae on the glass than i had previous. so it seems that the vodka my be helping in the reduction of algae. I never had much to begin with but there is a noticeable change nevertheless.

yeah me too. one of the definite changes in notice is the algae production has really lessoned and my skimmer efficiency has gone up quite a bit. but we will see so wish me luck

Edited by scottyreef

i wonder if this can help my large tank. i have a 300G and for some reason i have been having excessiver algae growth (green slime) and i have been dosing with "Red slime remover" from Ultra-life for 2 weeks now. it helped initially but then it creeps back.

I might help your skimmer out but it sounds like you have a execess nutrient problem. I would stop use the red slimer remover its only a bandaide. in my large tank when green and red slime have been giving me problems i do large water changes, cutt down on my feeding, cut down on my light cycle, and make sure my power head are getting all the spots in my tank so there arent any dead spots. i also hear chevron tangs will help with green slime as well

the thing thats frustrating me is that. 2 weeks ago when the slime algae was the worst, i did a 180G water change and that put some stress on all the livestock. i even took all the rocks out with my friend and scrubbed them down with the new saltwater. i siphoned all my gravel also. i put all the rock back in place and the tank looked awesome.

but then the skimmer went nuts and i had to slow it down. then i saw some slime buld up and i panicked a bit. i added the Red Slime remover and had to shut off the skimmer completely. now the water is cloudy and i am just waiting it out and praying haha. cant wait to turn my 500G PM skimmer back on full force to suck all that cloudiness out....its driving me nuts.

i heard about the chevrons but dang they are expensive and pretty rare too seems like. could it be my UV lights? i think i need to change them cause for the whole time i never had Cyano like this. i have a AquaUltraviolet 120W.

Just a question for ya. You may have noticed in my 22g cadlights pics that I still have the ugly ballsocket return. It looks like you shortened it and put on a flare nozzle. Is that still what you have? Have you upgraded the return pump at all?

Thanks.

Justin

I puyt a eductor and i upgraded the return to a ViaAqua VA2600 the stock one was ok but it crap'd out on me about a month into running my tank

Edited by scottyreef

vodka dosing day 5&6 my corals seem to be liking the vodka dosing the colors and polyp extension is getting a lot bigger i am glad with the vodka results as of yet

i am soo psyced i found some Tyree Purple Monster from a reef buddy of mine and get this it's not going to cost me a arm and a leg like most tyree stuff way under its list price of $135.

Vodka dosing day 7 the tank is still chugging along no problems everything still very healthy

Dang i cant wait to see the new piece!! I think i may just have to try some of this dosing if it works out for you. I know you are not getting many replies when you update about it but trust me, i am paying very close attention.

ahh I dont needs any relpys thanks for watching though Red. I basiclly bullied him into selling it to me when i seen the purple monster and it really from Stevie tyree. Terry the guy i am getting it from got it from stevie almost two years back and his tank is going downhill fast ( divorce hahaha) so i bought the purple moster and two show pieces that will go into my fathers show tank for his birthday a Red Monti big as a paint can and a Purple Edged Monti thats about 8" across