Cultivated Reef

Gena's IM Fusion 10 Softy Tank

gena

11 hours ago, Melfy77 said:

Yup! Keeps crashing lol.

Here are my pink skunks currently meeting their new host. Right now they're actually sleeping under the anemone Hahah. Soooo cute!!!

20210817_193021.jpg

I LOVE LOVE LOVE them!!!!  

• Like 1
10 hours ago, growsomething said:

This is the new top which has a lip all the way around (no clips needed), and thinner screen than mine, the main reason I'd like to get it.  Yours looks as thin as the new one.

imageproxy.php?img=&key=a72cef6f73776f2b

Screenshot_20210817-221949_Brave.thumb.jpg.83bacbc04f833ec9b68dad91e421a0ef.jpg

ahhh...ok, I have seen that one.  I don't understand the lip thing.  I'm assuming it won't budge?  The way it looks, it seems like the lid could slide, but I doubt they would make it that way.  I actually don't mind the clips I have.  The lid isn't going anywhere as it is.  Yeah, the mesh I used looks very similar.  

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Sharbuckle said:

Wait whaaaaaaat? You’re back!! Absolutely fantastic news 🙂 

I Am!!!!!  Thanks for making me feel loved LOL 🥰.  I've been back since the middle of July (I think?).  Edit: Beginning of July!!!  One morning I was checking email and I saw a notification from NR (recent journal updates) and it was @ninjamyst tank journal.  I've gotten these emails a lot over the 3 years I was out, but never bothered to click on them.  For some reason, that morning, I did.  For one, I was shocked to see he moved to Florida LOL.  He was always my Chicago friend :). 

Then I started thinking, maybe I want to get back into reefing????  But I knew I didn't want to have to spend a ton of money to do it.  This hobby isn't cheap, as we all know!!!!  So I clicked on FB Marketplace to see what was out there used.  And they had almost EXACTLY what I would have wanted.  And it was a local guy like 10min. from my house.  It was fate!!!!!  Had I not seen exactly what I wanted, I probably wouldn't be here right now.

Damn I'm glad I found this tank!!!!!!   It feels so good to be back!!!!! 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

@Melfy77 They are perfect!!!!  I'm sure they will eventually make it home.  Do you remember @el fabuloso?  I'm pretty sure everyone knows his picotope...super famous in the reefing world. 

He also set up a bigger tank, I'm thinking it was 25g????  Something like that.  And if I'm remembering correctly, he had a pink skunk (maybe two), living in a bubble tip anemone.  It was the most perfect symbiosis relationship I'd seen.  I think that's when I really fell in love with the pink skunk clownfish.  Of course, I could be remembering this all wrong and it wasn't him.  But my point being...I love the pink skunks!

Edit:  it wasn't him with the pink skunks.  I finally found his tank journal.  He had a tomato clown, and then percs in a BTA.  Well...someone around here, way back when, had pink skunks and they were awesome.  I'm so glad you have them @Melfy77!!!!!  Do you have a tank journal?  If not, you should start one 😉.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, gena said:

@Melfy77 They are perfect!!!!  I'm sure they will eventually make it home.  Do you remember @el fabuloso?  I'm pretty sure everyone knows his picotope...super famous in the reefing world. 

He also set up a bigger tank, I'm thinking it was 25g????  Something like that.  And if I'm remembering correctly, he had a pink skunk (maybe two), living in a bubble tip anemone.  It was the most perfect symbiosis relationship I'd seen.  I think that's when I really fell in love with the pink skunk clownfish.  Of course, I could be remembering this all wrong and it wasn't him.  But my point being...I love the pink skunks!

Edit:  it wasn't him with the pink skunks.  I finally found his tank journal.  He had a tomato clown, and then percs in a BTA.  Well...someone around here, way back when, had pink skunks and they were awesome.  I'm so glad you have them @Melfy77!!!!!  Do you have a tank journal?  If not, you should start one 😉.

Yeah I really should haha. The tank is a 22g long (36×12×12). Really low tech, AC50, Nero 3 with a nemguard, light and heater. I like basic stuff lol. All soft corals, love them!! I really like your tank!! So clean, in harmony

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Melfy77 said:

Yeah I really should haha. The tank is a 22g long (36×12×12). Really low tech, AC50, Nero 3 with a nemguard, light and heater. I like basic stuff lol. All soft corals, love them!! I really like your tank!! So clean, in harmony

Do it!!!!  I love softy tanks and I need more to drool over and get inspiration from :).  Yours sounds perfect!!!  I like basic stuff too.  And thank you!!!!

50 minutes ago, gena said:

Do it!!!!  I love softy tanks and I need more to drool over and get inspiration from :).  Yours sounds perfect!!!  I like basic stuff too.  And thank you!!!!

Gena, do you have any softies you're looking for in particular? I'm trying to figure out what I should be shopping for.  :ninja:

• Like 1
7 hours ago, TatorTaco said:

Gena, do you have any softies you're looking for in particular? I'm trying to figure out what I should be shopping for.  :ninja:

Well, I'd love a neon green sinularia.  That's the next big one I'll probably buy.  I also like the neon green/orange cloves but I'm not sure I'll have space for those.  I might try to squeeze them in.  I'm supposed to be on a coral buying ban for a few months LOL.  But I am getting a box from @jack1978 tomorrow...yay!!!!  So I'll see what the tank looks like after I put the new stuff in from him 😊.

I need ideas for softies too!  What are some cool softies?  There are different colors of kenya tree that I would like to have.  Pulsing xenia is cool.  I totally forgot I had that in my drop-off tank!!!!  I was watching the video I had of them on my IG page today.  They were so cool.  Pulsing.  I had a pretty big colony.  Totally forgot about having had them LOL.  That was an awesome tank, the drop off.  I miss that one.  It was so exciting when I picked that up at Macna San Diego.  Then it started leaking from a seam and that was the end of that. 

What else....a pink cabbage leather would be cool.  There's a lot I would like.  Maybe I should have gone with a bigger tank this time LOL.  I'm going to google the newest drop-offs just to see.  I think they are glass now.  Mine was acrylic.

Here's my drop-off tank with the xenia.  That's a green nepthea or sinularia.  That's what I want to find again.  The photosynthetic gorgonians are awesome too.  So is my blasto collection but I'm going to stay away from LPS, I think.  Strictly softies here this time.

• Like 4
6 minutes ago, gena said:

Well, I'd love a neon green sinularia.  That's the next big one I'll probably buy.  I also like the neon green/orange cloves but I'm not sure I'll have space for those.  I might try to squeeze them in.  I'm supposed to be on a coral buying ban for a few months LOL.  But I am getting a box from @jack1978 tomorrow...yay!!!!  So I'll see what the tank looks like after I put the new stuff in from him 😊.

I need ideas for softies too!  What are some cool softies?  There are different colors of kenya tree that I would like to have.  Pulsing xenia is cool.  I totally forgot I had that in my drop-off tank!!!!  I was watching the video I had of them on my IG page today.  They were so cool.  Pulsing.  I had a pretty big colony.  Totally forgot about having had them LOL.  That was an awesome tank, the drop off.  I miss that one.  It was so exciting when I picked that up at Macna San Diego.  Then it started leaking from a seam and that was the end of that. 

What else....a pink cabbage leather would be cool.  There's a lot I would like.  Maybe I should have gone with a bigger tank this time LOL.  I'm going to google the newest drop-offs just to see.  I think they are glass now.  Mine was acrylic.

Here's my drop-off tank with the xenia.  That's a green nepthea or sinularia.  That's what I want to find again.  The photosynthetic gorgonians are awesome too.  So is my blasto collection but I'm going to stay away from LPS, I think.  Strictly softies here this time.

Hey G!

Hit up @ECLS Reefer for some neon green sinularia....... I sent her the last of mine awhile ago.

If she still has it - it should be the size of a basket ball. 

Fingers crossed FedEx doesn't kick the box from here to Colorado!

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, jack1978 said:

Hey G!

Hit up @ECLS Reefer for some neon green sinularia....... I sent her the last of mine awhile ago.

They wouldn't do that!!!! hahaha

@ECLS Reefer you have been summoned :D.  If you have any available, and you would want to ship, I'd be interested! 

2 hours ago, jack1978 said:

Hey G!

Eh the sinularia is alive but not the happiest… I think too much flow. But the Kenya tree… that thing is like rabbits on steroids and is all over both tanks.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, gena said:

They wouldn't do that!!!! hahaha

@ECLS Reefer you have been summoned :D.  If you have any available, and you would want to ship, I'd be interested! 

I’ll have to check and see if it’s clipable—- it’s not the happiest coral and hasn’t spread so much, certainly not like @jack1978’s Kenya tree. Now that I have plenty of. 

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, ECLS Reefer said:

I’ll have to check and see if it’s clipable—- it’s not the happiest coral and hasn’t spread so much, certainly not like @jack1978’s Kenya tree. Now that I have plenty of. 

No worries if not!!!!  Looks like you've had or have a bunch of tanks!!!!  Very cool!!!!

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, gena said:

No worries if not!!!!  Looks like you've had or have a bunch of tanks!!!!  Very cool!!!!

I have two. An Evo XII and a 120g

• Like 2
8 hours ago, mipster said:

I vote cabbage leather! I'm looking for one myself and am having trouble choosing between pink and green lol 

I may not have room for one now.  Someone needs a bigger tank...hahahaha

I got my corals from @jack1978 today!!!!!  He sent me:

Branching GSP

Zia gorgonian (which I think is the same as the Morgonian Gorgonian, named after Tracy Morgan)

Ricordea

Jawbreaker mushroom

Long Polyp leather

Everything arrived in perfect condition.  He does a better job than WWC ;).

I got everything in the tank.  I combined adding new coral with doing a water change.  So new coral and a clean tank.

I also finally installed a spinstream.  I bought it about a month ago and never put it in.  I needed to clean the pump, which I didn't do when I picked up the tank.  I wanted to keep the tank as much as original (with bacteria) when I set it up in my house.  It was finally time to clean that sucker out.  I don't think the guy ever cleaned it out LOL.  YUCK!

I'm really excited about all of my new corals.  The clownfish isn't as excited.  She tries to swat away anything in her territory.  But she's finally settled down so I think we are all good now.

I took a FTS.  You probably won't notice much difference yet.  New stuff is in there but none of the new guys are really open.  Front left is the new long polyp toadstool.  It's a deeper pink than the one I have.  I love it.  The green/yellow ricordea is in the front leftish side (to the right of my hair algae rock LOL).  You'll have to zoom in.  The jawbreaker is below the big toadstool on the right.  Definitely have to zoom in to see it.  It's the orange little blob LOL.  Branching GSP is behind the toadstool.  And the gorgonian can't be seen.  I have it in the middle/back laying across the rocks.  I've had this type before and eventually it will branch upwards.  

Cool stuff!!!!!  Here'a the FTS:

5FEEA7A9-1049-4BA3-BC9C-DA619C40214A.thumb.JPG.f2e62ceb56be80692385e5812f7874c0.JPG

• Like 5

Glad FedEx didn't kill everything!!

Glad you're happy, can't wait to see what you do with this little tank .... they always turn out stunning.

........... when's  your new bigger tank show up? 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, gena said:

I may not have room for one now.  Someone needs a bigger tank...hahahaha

Ohhh I'm sure there is room somewhere! Or a bigger tank is an option too lol

• Like 1
14 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Looks super! Can’t wait to see the gorg show up in the back.

Me too!  I can see it from the side and polyps are starting to come out this morning!!!  It may take a few months for it to start sprouting upward.  But if I remember right, once it starts, it goes pretty fast!

14 hours ago, jack1978 said:

Glad FedEx didn't kill everything!!

Glad you're happy, can't wait to see what you do with this little tank .... they always turn out stunning.

........... when's  your new bigger tank show up? 

I knew they wouldn't :).  So happy!  Thanks!!!!  Hahahahahahahahahaha.......bigger tank.

13 hours ago, mipster said:

Ohhh I'm sure there is room somewhere! Or a bigger tank is an option too lol

LOL.  I actually did check out the 20g drop-offs just out of curiosity.  Looks like they are still acrylic.  Not taking that chance again.  Plus the base they have now has black on it.  I would want solid white.

Maybe I'll keep watching FB Marketplace for one of those gorgeous all white setups at an amazing price!  That's probably the only way I'd upgrade.  I really like this small tank.  I just can't have EVERYTHING I would want.  No biggie :).

So I need a new refractometer.  The one I got with my tank constantly needs recalibrating.  I don't understand it.  But it's a pain in the @ss.  I was on BRS website and they have these digital salinity checkers.  I'm tempted.  But I'm wondering if they are any good.  Anyone have one?????  @seabass you seem to be the resident expert on things like this!  Do you think they are worth it?  I'll post a link to it here.  One thing I don't like about the classic refractometer is, as a glasses wearer, having to look through the eyepiece LOL.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/icecap-salinity-temperature-digital-pocket-tester.html

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, gena said:

So I need a new refractometer.  The one I got with my tank constantly needs recalibrating.

I have a traditional refractometer.  They're relatively inexpensive and typically accurate when calibrated.  I check and calibrate mine with RO/DI water instead of calibrating solution.  But, to be honest, I almost always use an old swing arm hydrometer instead.  I've checked it against my refractometer, and while not as precise, I consider it close enough.

The digital ones seem accurate enough (±0.001), but still require calibration.  Convenience (ease of reading) would be the compelling reason to use one, as I don't consider them to be more accurate than a traditional refractometer.  I haven't ever used one; however, I don't see any reason to warn you away from it.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, seabass said:

I have a traditional refractometer.  They're relatively inexpensive and typically accurate when calibrated.  I check and calibrate mine with RO/DI water instead of calibrating solution.  But, to be honest, I almost always use an old swing arm hydrometer instead.  I've checked it against my refractometer, and while not as precise, I consider it close enough.

The digital ones seem accurate enough (±0.001), but still require calibration.  Convenience (ease of reading) would be the compelling reason to use one, as I don't consider them to be more accurate than a traditional refractometer.  I haven't ever used one; however, I don't see any reason to warn you away from it.

Ok great...thanks!!!!  I have always used the refractometer.  The one I had a few years ago was perfect.  I think I got it from Marine Depot.  I only had to mess with it very occasionally.  This one now is sooooo sensitive.  I have to bring it to zero every time before use.  It's a Red Sea brand which I looked it up and it's not a cheapo one.  So not sure what's going on.  Maybe the original owner dropped it a few too many times.

5 minutes ago, DevilDuck said:

I use the Hanna digital salinity tester and I’m happy with it. I find peeking through a little hole trying to read little numbers a little archaic.

Nice!!!!!  I'm really tempted to go with the digital tester.  Gonna give it a little more thought.