Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Gena's IM Fusion 10 Softy Tank

gena

Hi guys!!!!  I'm back!!!!  After a 3 year hiatus, I have a reef tank again.  

A little background on me:

I've been in the hobby for too many years LOL.  Started with a 35g, downsized to a Biocube 14 (my first tank journal on NR way way way back when).  Switched to a NanoCube 12.  Upgraded to a 28g.  Upgraded to a 45g Cube.  Downsized to a 20L.  Lateral move to a 20g Drop-off.  Upgraded to a 25g.  Downsized to a NUVO Fusion 10.  Which was the last tank I had before shutting down. 

There were other tanks in there too.  I've had picos, pico jars, macro tanks, standard 10s.  I've basically had a bunch of tanks LOL.  My last tank, the IM10, was a great tank and I knew if I got back in, that's what I really wanted.  BUT.....I sold EVERYTHING!!!  I would have to start out completely fresh.  And the $$$$ to do so really turned me off.  But I looked on FB Marketplace and there it was.  The exact setup I wanted to get, at a fraction of the cost.  In my city.  10min. from my house!  So I made an offer (bargain basement).  He refused LOL.  Then I asked him what's the lowest he would take?  And we agreed.  And now here I am with another reef tank in my house.  And I'm soooo thrilled to be back in the game again.  

The tank:

NUVO Fusion 10.  It came with a media basket which is nice.  I think those are standard now with these tanks.  Mine didn't have that at the time.  I had to buy a custom made from InTank.  InTank's is much nicer, btw LOL.  The water outlet has a previous owner's DIY spray bar which is cool.  Really gives a lot of surface agitation which I like.

The light:

Came with a Maxspect RAZOR R240R LED.  I used to have the larger version of this on my 45g Cube and my 20L and really loved the light.  This one does have a couple of pucks? burned out which I didn't even notice when I went to look at it.  You really can't even tell unless you look up at the light.  So I'm not sure how long I'll be able to use this light, but it's my light until it's no longer usable.  Hopefully it lasts!  If not, I'll go to what I had before, an AI Prime, in white.

The stand:

DIY Ikea stand.  Modified for an aquarium.  It's VERY nice!  I'm not sure what model it is.  Looks sharp with the tank.

That's pretty much it.  It came with everything he had so there are some miscellaneous supplies that all reefers have in their reef cabinets/closets.

Livestock:

Came with rock, sand, one clownfish, one toadstool leather, and 2 snails.

This system was running for 6 years with the previous owner.  He had it in his office at work.  Then pandemic happened and the tank came home.  I got the impression that his wife wasn't liking the tank. Plus he wasn't really into it anymore.  So he sold it.

Future plans:

I'm going to make this a mostly softy tank.  Leathers, mushrooms, clove polyps, maybe some zoas.  The only LPS I want to add is turquoise trumpets, if I can find them.  This will be similar to my 20L tank.  Not sure if I will add more fish.  Right now there is just the one clownfish.  If I do add another fish, it would be another clownfish.  And if I add more after that, it would be a pink streaked wrasse and a Green banded goby.  So I know what fish I would get, but I'm still up in the air on if I want to add more or not.

I did just grudgingly place an order with BRS for things I absolutely need for this tank.  An ATO $$$ (evaporation is insane out here in Colorado), New salt.  He gave me a big box of Reef Crystals which I had every intention of using, but it's compromised.  It's wet.  And after 24 hours of mixing, the calcium has precipitated out of the mix water.  I think the salt is 6 years old.  So I ordered my standard RSCP.  Always been happy with that one.  And then some miscellaneous items....a specimen container, a new heater, Chemipure, some pipettes.  I think that's all. 

So that's where we stand now.  I had a minor bump in ammonia the first and second day and now it's not registering any ammonia so I think I'm out of the woods on this tank re-cycling.  The move was only 10min. and everything was kept in water the whole time.  I was worried about the 6 year old sandbed getting disturbed, but I think it's ok.  In a couple of weeks I'm going to syphon the heck out of it.  Right now I just want to let the tank get established again before messing with things.

I'll get some photos up here ASAP.  I do have one on IG right now.  My IG is @thepinktrellis.  But I want to find a photo hosting site for my photos of this tank.  I used to hate seeing the same photos here as what can be seen on IG.  Too redundant for me.  So we'll see what I can do.

If you made it this far, thanks for checking my new tank journal out.  I'm looking forward to doing this again!

~Gena

ACS_3848.JPG

ACS_3849.JPG

Snapseed 3.jpg

Snapseed-1.jpg

Snapseed-2.jpg

• Like 18

Wow, look at that huge monster clownfish! 😂 You can tell she's seen some things in that little tank, haha. Seems like you got a great bargain here, and the stand is super sleek too! I really love the look of it and the location. Very nice!

Can't wait to see where you take this latest system! I'll be following along. 😁

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, billygoat said:

Wow, look at that huge monster clownfish! 😂 You can tell she's seen some things in that little tank, haha. Seems like you got a great bargain here, and the stand is super sleek too! I really love the look of it and the location. Very nice!

Can't wait to see where you take this latest system! I'll be following along. 😁

Yay!!!  Thank you!!!!  She does look huge LOL.  That's part of the reason I'm a bit hesitant on adding more fish!  Funny story...while we were picking up the tank, the guy mentioned he's had her and then he also had a goby and pistol shrimp pair in the tank.  But he lost the other two.  Well.......I found one of them LOL.  While unscrewing the legs of the stand to even it out on my floor, out popped a petrified goby....I shouldn't laugh but, it was pretty funny LOL.  Poor thing!  Must have been stuck to the bottom of the stand or the leg or something.  I thought about sending him a pic of the goby but decided not to.  I thought it might traumatize him LOL

Those lids on this tank are pretty awful.  There's so much room for a fish to jump out on the sides.  That's one of my upcoming projects, to make a new screened lid for this tank.

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, DevilDuck said:

Welcome back! You have a beautiful tank and home! 

thank you thank you!!!! I'm so excited to be back here again 😁

• Like 1
6 hours ago, gena said:

Hi guys!!!!  I'm back!!!!  After a 3 year hiatus, I have a reef tank again.  

A little background on me:

I've been in the hobby for too many years LOL.  Started with a 35g, downsized to a Biocube 14 (my first tank journal on NR way way way back when).  Switched to a NanoCube 12.  Upgraded to a 28g.  Upgraded to a 45g Cube.  Downsized to a 20L.  Lateral move to a 20g Drop-off.  Upgraded to a 25g.  Downsized to a NUVO Fusion 10.  Which was the last tank I had before shutting down. 

There were other tanks in there too.  I've had picos, pico jars, macro tanks, standard 10s.  I've basically had a bunch of tanks LOL.  My last tank, the IM10, was a great tank and I knew if I got back in, that's what I really wanted.  BUT.....I sold EVERYTHING!!!  I would have to start out completely fresh.  And the $$$$ to do so really turned me off.  But I looked on FB Marketplace and there it was.  The exact setup I wanted to get, at a fraction of the cost.  In my city.  10min. from my house!  So I made an offer (bargain basement).  He refused LOL.  Then I asked him what's the lowest he would take?  And we agreed.  And now here I am with another reef tank in my house.  And I'm soooo thrilled to be back in the game again.  

The tank:

NUVO Fusion 10.  It came with a media basket which is nice.  I think those are standard now with these tanks.  Mine didn't have that at the time.  I had to buy a custom made from InTank.  InTank's is much nicer, btw LOL.  The water outlet has a previous owner's DIY spray bar which is cool.  Really gives a lot of surface agitation which I like.

The light:

Came with a Maxspect RAZOR R240R LED.  I used to have the larger version of this on my 45g Cube and my 20L and really loved the light.  This one does have a couple of pucks? burned out which I didn't even notice when I went to look at it.  You really can't even tell unless you look up at the light.  So I'm not sure how long I'll be able to use this light, but it's my light until it's no longer usable.  Hopefully it lasts!  If not, I'll go to what I had before, an AI Prime, in white.

The stand:

DIY Ikea stand.  Modified for an aquarium.  It's VERY nice!  I'm not sure what model it is.  Looks sharp with the tank.

That's pretty much it.  It came with everything he had so there are some miscellaneous supplies that all reefers have in their reef cabinets/closets.

Livestock:

Came with rock, sand, one clownfish, one toadstool leather, and 2 snails.

This system was running for 6 years with the previous owner.  He had it in his office at work.  Then pandemic happened and the tank came home.  I got the impression that his wife wasn't liking the tank. Plus he wasn't really into it anymore.  So he sold it.

Future plans:

I'm going to make this a mostly softy tank.  Leathers, mushrooms, clove polyps, maybe some zoas.  The only LPS I want to add is turquoise trumpets, if I can find them.  This will be similar to my 20L tank.  Not sure if I will add more fish.  Right now there is just the one clownfish.  If I do add another fish, it would be another clownfish.  And if I add more after that, it would be a pink streaked wrasse and a Green banded goby.  So I know what fish I would get, but I'm still up in the air on if I want to add more or not.

I did just grudgingly place an order with BRS for things I absolutely need for this tank.  An ATO $$$ (evaporation is insane out here in Colorado), New salt.  He gave me a big box of Reef Crystals which I had every intention of using, but it's compromised.  It's wet.  And after 24 hours of mixing, the calcium has precipitated out of the mix water.  I think the salt is 6 years old.  So I ordered my standard RSCP.  Always been happy with that one.  And then some miscellaneous items....a specimen container, a new heater, Chemipure, some pipettes.  I think that's all. 

So that's where we stand now.  I had a minor bump in ammonia the first and second day and now it's not registering any ammonia so I think I'm out of the woods on this tank re-cycling.  The move was only 10min. and everything was kept in water the whole time.  I was worried about the 6 year old sandbed getting disturbed, but I think it's ok.  In a couple of weeks I'm going to syphon the heck out of it.  Right now I just want to let the tank get established again before messing with things.

I'll get some photos up here ASAP.  I do have one on IG right now.  My IG is @thepinktrellis.  But I want to find a photo hosting site for my photos of this tank.  I used to hate seeing the same photos here as what can be seen on IG.  Too redundant for me.  So we'll see what I can do.

If you made it this far, thanks for checking my new tank journal out.  I'm looking forward to doing this again!

~Gena

ACS_3848.JPG

ACS_3849.JPG

Snapseed 3.jpg

Snapseed-1.jpg

Snapseed-2.jpg

Yay! Back in the game. 😊

I was just talking with someone on r2r a few weeks ago about that gorgeous fox coral you used to have

• Like 3
15 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

Yay! Back in the game. 😊

I was just talking with someone on r2r a few weeks ago about that gorgeous fox coral you used to have

Oh my gosh...yes!  The fox coral!  That was an awesome coral.  It got HUGE.  It's definitely a neat one if you have a larger tank.  The color, the texture, the floofiness..so much to love about it.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Looks like the tank is exactly were it belongs. Such a great find. Congratulations. I hope it brings you years of enjoyment.

Thank you so much!!!!  When I first started thinking about getting a tank again, it didn't take me long to figure out where I wanted to put it :).

2 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

Love your home style and decor!

Thank you!  I saw you moved to Florida.  Big change from Chicago!  How do you like it?  

3 hours ago, gena said:

Thank you!  I saw you moved to Florida.  Big change from Chicago!  How do you like it?  

I love it!  There are pros and cons to any city, but I loved the 70s degree weather all winter.  It's hot now, but I just chill inside with A/C or hit the pool. 

I am 15 mins from World Wide Corals and go there a lot.  Their display lagoon tank is craaazy.  I also toured their coral farm a few times.  Their corals are expensive but I can totally see why after seeing their quarantine and grow out system.  

Can't wait to see this tank grow out.  I know you plan to go softies mostly but I still remember your huge monticap in the 40g.  

• Like 3

I would enjoy 70 degrees in winter.  But after 16 years without snow it's been pretty nice having some winter storms again. 

Very cool to be so close to WWC.  That's how I felt being so close to Vivid aquariums.  It's nice to have an awesome shop so close by.  I checked out some LFS in my area.  I want to cry LOL.  I think I'll be doing my coral shopping online.  My local Petco actually has the best selection of what I'm looking for.  So sad LOL.

• Haha 1

I shouldn't brag that I am 30 mins from Top Shelf Aquatics then...

I will be more than happy to ship you some zoas USPS priority mail.  I got a lot of classics.  King midas, scramble egg, eagle eye, watermelon, utter chaos, magician, rasta, wow, purple death, etc.  

• Like 3
17 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

I shouldn't brag that I am 30 mins from Top Shelf Aquatics then...

I will be more than happy to ship you some zoas USPS priority mail.  I got a lot of classics.  King midas, scramble egg, eagle eye, watermelon, utter chaos, magician, rasta, wow, purple death, etc.  

No you shouldn't LOL.  Super sad about my LFS situation over here LOL.  I was spoiled in SoCal.  May have to move back JUST for the LFS options LOL.  

I will take you up on that offer!  When would be the best time to ship?  Should we wait for the fall?  Thank you so much for the offer!!!!!

• Like 1
On 7/3/2021 at 8:17 AM, natalia_la_loca said:

Your home decor aesthetic is 😍😍😍

Thank you!!!!  

I got my new ATO for this tank.  I ordered a few things from BRS and I have to say, their shipping was VERY fast.  Really happy about that!!!!  I remember them being much slower a few years ago.  Now maybe it's because I live a little closer to them, but I don't think that's it.

Set the ATO up on Friday.  It's soooo nice to have one of those again.  I had forgotten how handy they are.  Evaporation on this tank was quite noticeable because of the dry air we have here.  Now....no worries.  

Installed the new heater which I'm certain hasn't kicked on yet.  The tank runs warm on it's own.  I have a fan blowing on it to keep the temps down.

So far all is running smoothly over here...like I never stopped reefing.  It's like riding a bike...you never forget how to do it 😊 

• Like 3

Finally found my old softie tank 20g Long journal.  There are a ton of pages and it eventually morphs into my 20g Drop off tank.  But basically, this is what I'm going for with my new IM10.  Lots of softies.  And a couple of LPS.

It's fun going through my old thread.  I had a lot of great friends here back in 2015.  Plus I get to see my cats when they were babies.  And my dogs that are no longer with me.  I'm so happy to have these tank journals to go back in time, reminisce, maybe cry a little bit LOL.

Here's the link to the one I've been looking at this morning:

• Like 3

Hey Gena!!!!

So happy to see your back! love the new reef and home decor. Im in love with all that natural light 😍 Cant wait to see what you do with this one I know its going to be beautiful.

• Like 2
On 6/30/2021 at 1:28 PM, gena said:

Those lids on this tank are pretty awful.  There's so much room for a fish to jump out on the sides.  That's one of my upcoming projects, to make a new screened lid for this tank.

I'm not really happy with the lids that come with the IM tanks, or the DIY I made for the Lagoon. I'm interested in seeing what you come up with.

How are the kitties doing with their new friend? My cats have no problem jumping up onto the tops of the tanks from the floor. 🤦‍♀️ Bad kitties... 

• Like 1

Im not sure if the newer IM 10g pro verson lids are difrent but I know the pro version lids for the 20 were theres no lid clip holder things and it fits snugly with no gaps just like on the pro peninsula.

I had a custom glas top made for my 10. Smaller gap and cut evap alot. Just dont whack your tank with it while putting it on. I very nearly cracked mine thsts why it had a black rubber rim stuck onto it for a while. I did the same to my regular 20 as a precaution. It sits so high up it's hard to work on the top rim is actualy almost over my head makes me paranoid.

• Like 1
growsomething

I lost a little 1 week old clown between the old factory net and the nuvo 10 sides a month or so ago.  It definitely  could be tighter.  Seems to me I'd read the newer oem ones are better and let more light in.  The glass lid you're talking about, is it for this 10g or a previous one?

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Rehype said:

Hey Gena!!!!

So happy to see your back! love the new reef and home decor. Im in love with all that natural light 😍 Cant wait to see what you do with this one I know its going to be beautiful.

Yay!!!  Welcome to my journal 😊.  Thank you so much!!!!  When we were house hunting, the first thing I picked up on was how much awesome natural light this house gets!!!!  While I was tankless the last 3 years, I was growing a sizable house plant collection LOL.  Lots of natural light was a necessity for me.

So the plan for this tank is softies, softies, and more softies LOL.  Just softies.  A select few.  And watch them grow 😊.

• Like 2