Pod Your Reef

Gena's IM Fusion 10 Softy Tank

gena

7 minutes ago, gena said:

Oh well...that's ok!!!!!!  It will still be an awesome anemone tank!!!!  Yes, definitely make a journal!!!!

Hey!!!  Maybe????  I think the other one might be a lighter color though, but they basically look the same.  What kind of leather is the one to the left of it????  I LOVE it.  

That pic shows darker than it really is ...... flesh is a light purple with darker purple polyps. 

Not sure ..... I've had it for years!  Blue flesh with red polyps .... super fuzzy and apparently a slow grower.  -I think he needs some boost in light.  

I'll hook up the hybrid light sooner or later, lol.  

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, jack1978 said:

That pic shows darker than it really is ...... flesh is a light purple with darker purple polyps. 

Not sure ..... I've had it for years!  Blue flesh with red polyps .... super fuzzy and apparently a slow grower.  -I think he needs some boost in light.  

I'll hook up the hybrid light sooner or later, lol.  

The morgonian has a tan flesh, with the polyps being pretty much the same color, if I'm remembering right.  

I need more types of leathers like that.  Well, I want.  I don't need.  Plus my tank can probably only handle one more leather if I'm considering future growth.  I need to really be picky about what that one last leather will be.  I'm leaning toward the pink finger leather I saw today at the LFS.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, gena said:

The morgonian has a tan flesh, with the polyps being pretty much the same color, if I'm remembering right.  

I need more types of leathers like that.  Well, I want.  I don't need.  Plus my tank can probably only handle one more leather if I'm considering future growth.  I need to really be picky about what that one last leather will be.  I'm leaning toward the pink finger leather I saw today at the LFS.

Let me know when your bigger tank shows up and I can snip you a piece. 

• Haha 1
8 minutes ago, jack1978 said:

Let me know when your bigger tank shows up and I can snip you a piece. 

Will do!!!! It'll have to be a pretty bad ass tank for me to get rid of this one.  I still want a drop-off, like my old one, but glass not acrylic.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, gena said:

Will do!!!! It'll have to be a pretty bad ass tank for me to get rid of this one.  I still want a drop-off, like my old one, but glass not acrylic.

Cant wait to see it!!

omgomgomg

• Like 1
3 hours ago, jack1978 said:

Cant wait to see it!!

omgomgomg

I just need them to come back in stock!  Not sure if they ever will.  Maybe by the time I'm ready for one.

Got a few photos for the new page just before lights got too dim.  I know exactly where I'm going to put the finger leather frag if I manage to get a cutting.  Center bottom below that turquoise leather that's always flopped over and never does anything LOL.  Seriously...what IS that coral????  What is it doing????  Why isn't it doing anything???? Hahahaha.  It's a petco find.  I think I saved it's life but it's still not sure if it wants to live or not.  It sheds a lot.  But when it opens again it doesn't really seem any bigger.  I still like it.  Love the color.  I just hope it does something sooner than later.

Pics....

Why yes...I was too lazy to close the blinds before taking the photos...hi there!!!!

ACS_4063.thumb.JPG.b40e707e81c803472986a2ec3817f487.JPG

ACS_4064.thumb.JPG.c35e0c60cfc89a6ce7e2c527a08e1c81.JPG

This IS with the orange filter.  Yes...the room is a bit orange because of it LOL.

1701711501_Snapseed83.thumb.jpg.c0a4ad36e5288ffdbd04da75e9d7adbf.jpg

See my little rock on the front left?  Covered in algae?  I leave that algae there because the pods LOVE it.  They live in there.  It's like a little condo and I don't want to disturb them LOL.

• Like 6
14 minutes ago, jack1978 said:

What is that little floppy leather?  Never seen one that color - its pretty!

hahaha that's the one I was talking about just before I posted the pics!  I have no clue what it is but it doesn't do ANYTHING.  It just flops over all day every day.  It sheds a lot but never grows as far as I can tell.  But it's awesome because the color is an awesome turquoise.  When it's not shedding it does have some tiny polyps on it.  I hope it decides to grow soon LOL.

• Haha 2

Thought I'd give you guys a little up-close and personal look at my ultra rare algae rock LOL.  It's a mix of two types of algae.  Can anyone identify them?  One is a velvety deeper green (reminds me of the moss balls) and the other has almost a curliness about it, not really, but I'm not sure how else to describe it.  Both stay a rounded shape.  If you zoom in you can see all the little pods on and in it.

I really like my algae rock.  And I hope it sticks around for awhile.  I love the color combo on it, the diversity that lives in it, and the texture it adds to the tank. 

IMG_8530.thumb.JPG.c61ad4d53c8c0d5cb93e979cd97ccb62.JPG

• Like 5
18 minutes ago, gena said:

Thought I'd give you guys a little up-close and personal look at my ultra rare algae rock LOL.  It's a mix of two types of algae.  Can anyone identify them?  One is a velvety deeper green (reminds me of the moss balls) and the other has almost a curliness about it, not really, but I'm not sure how else to describe it.  Both stay a rounded shape.  If you zoom in you can see all the little pods on and in it.

I really like my algae rock.  And I hope it sticks around for awhile.  I love the color combo on it, the diversity that lives in it, and the texture it adds to the tank. 

I like it too!! So cool!! I want some lol. I see pods crawling all over my glass and sand but a little algae like that would be nice! My two spot blenny keeps my tank spotless lol. Haven't used my magnet in over 2 weeks hahaha

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Melfy77 said:

I like it too!! So cool!! I want some lol. I see pods crawling all over my glass and sand but a little algae like that would be nice! My two spot blenny keeps my tank spotless lol. Haven't used my magnet in over 2 weeks hahaha

Two-spot blennies are awesome!  I remember looking into them when I wanted to add a blenny, several years ago.  The two spots on the side are to fool predators into thinking they are eyes and a much larger fish than they really are, or something like that.  I thought that was cool.  Yeah, a blenny would probably annihilate my ultra rare algae rock LOL.

4 minutes ago, gena said:

Two-spot blennies are awesome!  I remember looking into them when I wanted to add a blenny, several years ago.  The two spots on the side are to fool predators into thinking they are eyes and a much larger fish than they really are, or something like that.  I thought that was cool.  Yeah, a blenny would probably annihilate my ultra rare algae rock LOL.

Hahaha yeah she would eat the whole thing in one day. I love that blenny, cute, tons of personnality, and great algae eater. At night she cuddles with my Xenia. Very cute!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Melfy77 said:

Hahaha yeah she would eat the whole thing in one day. I love that blenny, cute, tons of personnality, and great algae eater. At night she cuddles with my Xenia. Very cute!

If I ever get sick of my algae, I know what to do/get LOL.

• Like 1

This is exciting.  The floppy turquoise leather that never does anything finally did something!  It's grown!  It had another shed session this week and finally fully opened today.  I know you guys probably can't tell from the photos but it's definitely a bit bigger.  Proud coral mom.  So I guess it DOES want to live :happydance:.

IMG_8544.thumb.JPG.10dd0a67f750d0ec8470e0541129068e.JPG

IMG_8543.thumb.JPG.502517fdd2050d90688e1fcb6c3b7603.JPG

• Like 8

I think some softies are more difficult than some sps. 

-How long have you had that one? 

.....The Mr Floppy leather. 

Edited by jack1978
Named Mr Floppy
4 hours ago, gena said:

Very cool looking algae rock there, but I’d be afraid of it spreading… which reminds me I need to take my flipper out of my 32 to remove the algae growing on the scrubber side

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Very cool looking algae rock there, but I’d be afraid of it spreading… which reminds me I need to take my flipper out of my 32 to remove the algae growing on the scrubber side

I used to have some marimo algae balls. It did pretty well in saltwater, pods loved it and no spreading issues.

• Like 2
54 minutes ago, jack1978 said:

I think some softies are more difficult than some sps. 

-How long have you had that one? 

.....The Mr Floppy leather. 

I do too!  This one I picked up in July so it's been here awhile.  Almost 2 months.  

47 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Well, I told it that it wasn't allowed to spread anywhere else so.....😂.

5 minutes ago, Melfy77 said:

I used to have some marimo algae balls. It did pretty well in saltwater, pods loved it and no spreading issues.

Yes!  That's the balls I was thinking of!!!  Pods love this stuff too.  I wonder if it's related?

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, gena said:

I do too!  This one I picked up in July so it's been here awhile.  Almost 2 months.  

Well, I told it that it wasn't allowed to spread anywhere else so.....😂.

Yes!  That's the balls I was thinking of!!!  Pods love this stuff too.  I wonder if it's related?

Maybe they are related. Color and texture look very similar 🙂 I think I might actually get some. It would bring a nice green pop in the tank. And pods would like it! 

As for your algae, yes surely it will listen to you😂

• Like 2

I’m thinking the dark green one on the right looks like turf algae? 

Here’s info on turf algae from Reef Cleaners:

609CAF02-624E-47C1-B90A-2E1284E4A058.thumb.png.38400fdc7cac313b4ab7453ebb1bf5ee.png

You probably already know this, gena, but for anyone else following along… if you ever need help trying to ID algae, you can send pics to Reef Cleaners, or you can tag John Maloney (who runs Reef Cleaners) here in Nano-Reef to see if he’s around and able to help. 

• Like 3

My sinularia flops over like your turquoise coral when my phosphate is really high… not sure if that could be what’s going on with yours, probably not, but I thought I’d mention it… 

19 hours ago, gena said:

There's mine, enjoying my xenia at night lol.

20210904_220507.jpg

• Like 2
16 hours ago, banasophia said:

I’m thinking the dark green one on the right looks like turf algae? 

You probably already know this, gena, but for anyone else following along… if you ever need help trying to ID algae, you can send pics to Reef Cleaners, or you can tag John Maloney (who runs Reef Cleaners) here in Nano-Reef to see if he’s around and able to help. 

It might be a type of turf algae but it's not wiry.  It's like a velvety soft plush.  I did know but had forgotten about Reef Cleaners algae ID.  Thanks for the reminder.  I was going through them and was reminded of a few I have battled in the past.  Like cotton candy algae.  Totally forgot about that one.  Pretty but NOT something I want to have to deal with again.  Also bubble algae is the WORST!  I'll take my velvety soft plush algae any day over bubble algae.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, banasophia said:

My sinularia flops over like your turquoise coral when my phosphate is really high… not sure if that could be what’s going on with yours, probably not, but I thought I’d mention it… 

It's been this way from the beginning so probably not???? But who knows.  It's a weirdo coral LOL.

3 hours ago, Melfy77 said:

There's mine, enjoying my xenia at night lol.

Awwwwwww....that is adorable!!!!!  I forgot they don't mind hanging out IN coral!!!!  

• Like 1