Coral Vue Hydros

Gena's IM Fusion 10 Softy Tank

gena

16 hours ago, kimberbee said:

I'm not really happy with the lids that come with the IM tanks, or the DIY I made for the Lagoon. I'm interested in seeing what you come up with.

How are the kitties doing with their new friend? My cats have no problem jumping up onto the tops of the tanks from the floor. 🤦‍♀️ Bad kitties... 

I hated the lid on my first IM10.  I changed it out fast.  I still haven't done this one yet, but I assembled all the materials.  I just make one from window screen.  I buy the window screen kit from Lowe's.  It has the aluminum frame pieces and the (I really don't know the technical term) rubber rope material that holds the mesh in, plus the corner connecting pieces.  Screen mesh is sold separately.  I get the plain mesh (not dark).  And just measure to fit.  It's not very sexy but it works LOL.  Maybe I'll post a DIY of the screen top here.

So far the cats have not messed with the tank at all!!!!  OMG...if they jumped from the floor to the top of the tank, I would have a heart attack LOL. I did bolt the stand to the wall just in case they do get crazy ideas.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, LazyFish said:

Im not sure if the newer IM 10g pro verson lids are difrent but I know the pro version lids for the 20 were theres no lid clip holder things and it fits snugly with no gaps just like on the pro peninsula.

I had a custom glas top made for my 10. Smaller gap and cut evap alot. Just dont whack your tank with it while putting it on. I very nearly cracked mine thsts why it had a black rubber rim stuck onto it for a while. I did the same to my regular 20 as a precaution. It sits so high up it's hard to work on the top rim is actualy almost over my head makes me paranoid.

Did you have problems with overheating having a glass lid on?  My tank runs warm.  If I don't keep a fan going on it I'm at 84 degrees.  I can't imagine what it might be with glass covering the top.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, growsomething said:

I lost a little 1 week old clown between the old factory net and the nuvo 10 sides a month or so ago.  It definitely  could be tighter.  Seems to me I'd read the newer oem ones are better and let more light in.  The glass lid you're talking about, is it for this 10g or a previous one?

So sorry about your baby clown.  Yeah, small fish can easily jump out.  They get freaked out, hit the glass, shoot straight up and out between the lid and the side of the tank.  I'm certain that's what happened with the goby I found from the previous owner.  With the DIY lid I make, it totally solves that problem.  I'm lazy getting going with it because my clown is a giant fatty and I don't really have to worry about that LOL.  But I'm still replacing it in case I do get a little goby down the line.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, LazyFish said:

Im not sure if the newer IM 10g pro verson lids are difrent but I know the pro version lids for the 20 were theres no lid clip holder things and it fits snugly with no gaps just like on the pro peninsula.

I think all the Nuvo Pro packages sold these days include a snug lid with overhanging edges that allow no gap for fish to jump through. Here's the lid from my IM 40. It's actually pretty nice. You can break the corner tabs off to make room for cords to come through too.

IMG_1471.thumb.JPG.8f18b238b6fca43b8a92dba66ad70234.JPG

My understanding is that the old-style IM lids with the floating clips are unfortunately kind of janky. I used one of those on my previous tank (IM clips + a DIY mesh lid) and still lost a fish or two over the year and a half that I had it running...

Also I agree that your home décor is great @gena! I bet you could grow some sweet marine plants with all that light! 😉

• Like 4
1 minute ago, billygoat said:

I think all the Nuvo Pro packages sold these days include a snug lid with overhanging edges that allow no gap for fish to jump through. Here's the lid from my IM 40. It's actually pretty nice.

My understanding is that the old-style IM lids with the floating clips are unfortunately kind of janky. I used one of those on my previous tank (IM clips + a DIY mesh lid) and still lost a fish or two over the year and a half that I had it running...

Also I agree that your home décor is great @gena! I bet you could grow some sweet marine plants with all that light! 😉

Wow...that's a nice looking lid!!!!  My DIY doesn't even come close LOL.

Thanks!!!!  Hahaha....I'm sure it could, but just one tank for me.  Even if a deal comes my way LOL.  I'm living vicariously through your planted tank 😉.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, billygoat said:

These lids look nice, but they do not hold up well to my cats. 🤦‍♀️ My ugly DIY Home Depot screen kit holds up better. But it's ugly. And did I mention that it's also SUPER ugly? 😅

2 hours ago, gena said:

the (I really don't know the technical term) rubber rope material that holds the mesh in...

Scree spline. 😊 

• Like 1

It's not too bad on my tanks. The 20g stays right at 80 with glass top. My 10g ran about 79. With the glass top. My peninsula runs about 76-77ish with the mesh top. If you are running on the warm side alredy it will push it up a couple of degrees so its probly gona be too much.

• Like 1
growsomething
7 hours ago, billygoat said:

I think all the Nuvo Pro packages sold these days include a snug lid with overhanging edges that allow no gap for fish to jump through. Here's the lid from my IM 40. It's actually pretty nice. You can break the corner tabs off to make room for cords to come through too.

Wow, that is nice looking.  Look at how thin your netting is compared to mine.  I'll bet it makes a big difference on par.  Also check out the difference on the side gaps.  Yeah, janky is the word.

20210706_185847.thumb.jpg.91f6b5f19d2b9cc6f59da8d6793719a5.jpg

• Like 1
19 hours ago, kimberbee said:

These lids look nice, but they do not hold up well to my cats. 🤦‍♀️ My ugly DIY Home Depot screen kit holds up better. But it's ugly. And did I mention that it's also SUPER ugly? 😅

Scree spline. 😊 

Sounds like we have the same DIY screen setup.  hahaha..yeah ugly.  But they work for me!!!!  Right!!!! Screen spline 😊.

19 hours ago, LazyFish said:

It's not too bad on my tanks. The 20g stays right at 80 with glass top. My 10g ran about 79. With the glass top. My peninsula runs about 76-77ish with the mesh top. If you are running on the warm side alredy it will push it up a couple of degrees so its probly gona be too much.

My tank was running about 80ish until I added the ATO to it.  Now it's running 84ish.  Crazy how much that brought up the temp!!!!

• Like 1

Just a quick observation.  Coral prices have really gone up in 3 years!  Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places LOL.  

I've added a few new corals to the tank already.  three small/tiny leathers and one kenya tree.  From Petco!  $24.99 each.  Locally, I'm reliant on Petco.  But I did find someone selling on eBay that lives close for local pickup.  I'll be watching what they have to offer.

I also ordered a colt leather and some anthelia polyps from WWC.  Never ordered from them before.  Good prices!  They were having a sale.  I promised I wouldn't buy anything else for 6 months LOL.  My intentions are good.  I really just want to sit and watch these few corals grow in so I do think I can keep that promise 😊.

Once the new corals arrive tomorrow, and everything opens up, I'll share some photos of them.

• Like 6
natalia_la_loca

Big agree re: coral prices. There are still good deals but I definitely noticed a difference when I started stocking my Evo.

• Like 2

Nice tank!  I like your house with lots of natural lights, great for the house plants.  I have a reefer 170 and I’ve been debating a 10 gallon tank for softies.   I haven’t taken the plunge yet...

• Like 1
On 7/7/2021 at 9:23 AM, natalia_la_loca said:

Big agree re: coral prices. There are still good deals but I definitely noticed a difference when I started stocking my Evo.

I've been looking at several places online and I was surprised to find what I was looking for at a great price from WWC!!!!!  I always thought they were super expensive.  I think maybe they got popular right as I was getting out of the hobby????  Not sure, but I never purchased from them before this.  I'm excited to see what my corals look like.  They arrive today.

One of the corals that has surprised me the most is the cost of blastos now.  I see them online for way more than I used to pay.  Oh...and mushrooms!!!!!  Good grief LOL

23 hours ago, TNSRFR said:

Nice tank!  I like your house with lots of natural lights, great for the house plants.  I have a reefer 170 and I’ve been debating a 10 gallon tank for softies.   I haven’t taken the plunge yet...

Thanks so much!!!!  The plants love the light for sure.  I'm going to be a bad influence and say DOOOO ITTTTT!!!!!  LOL .  Seriously, I would love to follow another 10g softie tank.  We need more representation here 😊.   Thanks for checking out my 10!  I'll go hunt down your 170!

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, gena said:

I've been looking at several places online and I was surprised to find what I was looking for at a great price from WWC!!!!!  I always thought they were super expensive.  I think maybe they got popular right as I was getting out of the hobby????  Not sure, but I never purchased from them before this.  I'm excited to see what my corals look like.  They arrive today.

One of the corals that has surprised me the most is the cost of blastos now.  I see them online for way more than I used to pay.  Oh...and mushrooms!!!!!  Good grief LOL

Thanks so much!!!!  The plants love the light for sure.  I'm going to be a bad influence and say DOOOO ITTTTT!!!!!  LOL .  Seriously, I would love to follow another 10g softie tank.  We need more representation here 😊.   Thanks for checking out my 10!  I'll go hunt down your 170!

You won’t find my 170 on the forum. 😜.  I’m fairly new to this site and haven’t gotten around to post my tank.   Working on it. 😉

8 minutes ago, TNSRFR said:

You won’t find my 170 on the forum. 😜.  I’m fairly new to this site and haven’t gotten around to post my tank.   Working on it. 😉

I figured that out when I searched LOL.  Hop to it 😂.

• Thanks 1

I got my order from WWC yesterday.  I was a little worried because it was supposed to be delivered before noon.  But it got delayed and changed to "by end of day".  Of course, it was super hot yesterday 100 degrees!!!!!  When I finally got the box, it felt so warm.  Opened it up and everything was perfectly fine inside.  The temp in the insulated box was low 80s...all good.

I got two corals.  A colt leather, and some anthelia polyps.  The leather is so tiny, but so pretty.  The anthelia is super healthy.  Both are doing great this morning.  Have I mentioned how much I hate frag plugs????? 😂 .  So fricken ugly and so unnatural looking.  The anthelia was not only attached to the frag plug but it also has this black egg crate looking stuff it's attached to and then attached to the frag plug LOL.  I'm hiding it at the back of the tank.  Not where I wanted it but I'm assuming it's going to grow like a weed and I'll eventually see it.

The nice thing about Petco frags is they are attached to frag plugs that look like rock.  Yay Petco LOL.  

It's still dark in the tank so pictures later or tomorrow or eventually 😊.  Water change planned for tomorrow.

• Like 2

It was actually brighter in the tank than I thought.  So a picture now 😋.  You can see every coral I have in there.  7 of them, I think.  Even the anthelia polyps way down in the back on the left, barely peeking out.

• Like 1

Really good to see you back.  I feel that, lately, we lost some cool, smart, and helpful members.  Great to see some return.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, seabass said:

Really good to see you back.  I feel that, lately, we lost some cool, smart, and helpful members.  Great to see some return.

Thank you so much!!!  I really appreciate that ☺️.  I'm so happy to see many familiar faces are still here.  Didn't you used to live in Indiana?????  I see you are in Iowa.  We're going to be heading to Ohio for a little vacation, visit family, and we'll be driving through Iowa.  My first time going through that state.  Looking forward to seeing a new state 😊.  Any good LFS in your area? LOL

You know I'll be trying to visit a few on our way back home LOL.

I've always lived in various parts of Iowa.  Occasionally there is some nice scenery while driving through the state, but it's mostly farmland and fairly flat, which makes for a fairly boring ride.  Bring along some music to listen to, as the FM band doesn't offer a lot of choices.  Unfortunately our local fish stores aren't super exciting either.  I admit, I get most things online.

Crowned Aquatics (previously Adam's Aquatics) is closest to me.  Justin is a good guy and I've sold him a couple of dozen Banggai cardinalfish juveniles.  He's also interested is some of my rock flower anemones.  They have recently moved to a new location, which I haven't had time to visit yet.  Maybe I'll go next week.  I'm hoping that it's a notable upgrade to the previous location.

If you are heading through Des Moines on I80 (and interested), I might be able meet you at the store and give you one of my RFAs.  I have a couple of dozen, which aren't on rocks, just waiting to sell to Justin.

103020k.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
On 7/8/2021 at 9:56 AM, gena said:

I figured that out when I searched LOL.  Hop to it 😂.

Finally posted my journal. 😉

• Like 2
6 hours ago, seabass said:

I've always lived in various parts of Iowa.  Occasionally there is some nice scenery while driving through the state, but it's mostly farmland and fairly flat, which makes for a fairly boring ride.  Bring along some music to listen to, as the FM band doesn't offer a lot of choices.  Unfortunately our local fish stores aren't super exciting either.  I admit, I get most things online.

Crowned Aquatics (previously Adam's Aquatics) is closest to me.  Justin is a good guy and I've sold him a couple of dozen Banggai cardinalfish juveniles.  He's also interested is some of my rock flower anemones.  They have recently moved to a new location, which I haven't had time to visit yet.  Maybe I'll go next week.  I'm hoping that it's a notable upgrade to the previous location.

If you are heading through Des Moines on I80 (and interested), I might be able meet you at the store and give you one of my RFAs.  I have a couple of dozen, which aren't on rocks, just waiting to sell to Justin.

103020k.jpg

Someone was from Indiana.  Maybe it was markalot???  Is he still around????  I'm not sure what our route is but I'm sure it's I80 if that's the main interstate from east to west.  I'll find out and let you know.   Thank you so much for the offer!!!!   Hopefully we can work it out!!!!! 

41 minutes ago, TNSRFR said:

Finally posted my journal. 😉

Excellent!!!!  I'll go look for it :).

• Like 2