Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Gena's IM Fusion 10 Softy Tank

gena

1 hour ago, kimberbee said:

🙋‍♀️ Me! Though originally from Illinois. 

Yes! And close to where I grew up.  But it's not you I'm thinking of.  I see markalot is northern Kentucky.  Oh well LOL.

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, gena said:

Yes! And close to where I grew up.  But it's not you I'm thinking of.  I see markalot is northern Kentucky.  Oh well LOL.

I know who you thinking of =P.  Lawnman?  Or something like that?  

natalia_la_loca
On 7/9/2021 at 11:25 AM, gena said:

Have I mentioned how much I hate frag plugs????? 😂

This probs won’t help your egg crate situation, but end-cutting pliers are my best friend for cutting off the post and the rounded edges of a frag plug when it’s not possible to pry the whole frag off the plug. Great for making the frag plug blend in with the surrounding rock.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

I know who you thinking of =P.  Lawnman?  Or something like that?  

He is from Indiana but it wasn't him I was thinking of.  I really thought it was Seabass LOL.  I've given up trying to figure it out LOL.

1 hour ago, natalia_la_loca said:

This probs won’t help your egg crate situation, but end-cutting pliers are my best friend for cutting off the post and the rounded edges of a frag plug when it’s not possible to pry the whole frag off the plug. Great for making the frag plug blend in with the surrounding rock.

Oh that's a great idea!  I actually sawed the stems off but didn't even think of doing that to the rounded edges.  I'll remember that in the future, thanks!!!  I really need to get some pliers. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

ACS_3885.thumb.JPG.e277eec33ce3f9d69de15697d59ede42.JPG

Water change is done.  That was about as fun as I remember them being 😝

I think my next big upgrades for this tank will be the AI Prime in white and a new media basket.  The basket in this tank is not the right size.  It's pretty much useless as water just flows over the top and behind it.  It definitely wasn't made for this size of tank, it's too small.  So that will be the first thing I'll be getting.  This light fixture is fine, but I have to remove the light to get the media basket out.  A bit of a pain to do.  I'm only planning once a month water changes but still.  I need a smaller light attachment on the back rim.  This one is huge and super heavy too.  

• Like 7
natalia_la_loca
40 minutes ago, gena said:

Oh that's a great idea!  I actually sawed the stems off but didn't even think of doing that to the rounded edges.  I'll remember that in the future, thanks!!!  I really need to get some pliers. 

Highly highly recommend. Waaaay easier than a saw. Just keep fingers away from the pliers (i learned this the hard way lol)

• Haha 2
  • Wow 1
52 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

The ai prime is much smaller footprint and will look more modern and sleek.  

For sure!  Wish I didn't sell mine 😭.

38 minutes ago, natalia_la_loca said:

Highly highly recommend. Waaaay easier than a saw. Just keep fingers away from the pliers (i learned this the hard way lol)

OUCH!!!!!  😲

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
19 hours ago, gena said:

ACS_3885.thumb.JPG.e277eec33ce3f9d69de15697d59ede42.JPG

Water change is done.  That was about as fun as I remember them being 😝

I think my next big upgrades for this tank will be the AI Prime in white and a new media basket.  The basket in this tank is not the right size.  It's pretty much useless as water just flows over the top and behind it.  It definitely wasn't made for this size of tank, it's too small.  So that will be the first thing I'll be getting.  This light fixture is fine, but I have to remove the light to get the media basket out.  A bit of a pain to do.  I'm only planning once a month water changes but still.  I need a smaller light attachment on the back rim.  This one is huge and super heavy too.  

Looks great Gena. The AI prime will look look awesome over this tank (im upgrading to the same model myself)

• Like 2
20 hours ago, Rehype said:

Looks great Gena. The AI prime will look look awesome over this tank (im upgrading to the same model myself)

Thanks!!!!  It will totally look so much better.  I just saw you got one....lucky!!!!  I'm not sure when I'll do it.  Hopefully soon. 

• Like 1
On 7/9/2021 at 11:40 AM, seabass said:

Crowned Aquatics (previously Adam's Aquatics) is closest to me... Maybe I'll go next week.  I'm hoping that it's a notable upgrade to the previous location.

Well, I went earlier today.  While there is some potential, the trip was disappointing.  For as long as they had to set things up, they were still in a moving phase, with things still in the aisles that you had to step around.  Some tanks were even still cloudy.

It's a fairly convenient stop for someone driving through on I80, but I can't recommend it (at least not yet).  I feel that they have been juggling their tank maintenance business and setting up the new location (likely erroring on keeping their tank maintenance clients happy).

Maybe Omaha would have better options.  While I'm not sure what their LFS options are like, the zoo there has a decent aquarium, which is part of it.  At least that's how I remember it, it's been many years since I've been there.

• Like 2
On 7/16/2021 at 1:36 AM, seabass said:

Well, I went earlier today.  While there is some potential, the trip was disappointing.  For as long as they had to set things up, they were still in a moving phase, with things still in the aisles that you had to step around.  Some tanks were even still cloudy.

It's a fairly convenient stop for someone driving through on I80, but I can't recommend it (at least not yet).  I feel that they have been juggling their tank maintenance business and setting up the new location (likely erroring on keeping their tank maintenance clients happy).

Maybe Omaha would have better options.  While I'm not sure what their LFS options are like, the zoo there has a decent aquarium, which is part of it.  At least that's how I remember it, it's been many years since I've been there.

Just got back last night from our road trip to Ohio.  Never stopped at any fish stores though I did search for one locally to where we were staying in Ohio...nada.  I have to say, that northern route (I80) is the way to go!!!!  We've done both now and I definitely prefer I80.

Iowa is a BEAUTIFUL state.  It is so much hillier than I expected.  We stopped in Omaha for lunch yesterday on our way back home, but didn't have time to look for a LFS.  We all just wanted to be back home LOL.

I tell ya what...if you want to see growth from your house plants and fish tanks....go away for a week LOL.  I can't get over how much things grew while we were away.  The lights were out last night on the tank when we got back and haven't gotten to full power yet today, but I can see there has been growth.  PLUS.....got past that ugly brown sand stage I think!!!!!  I don't see it yet so far today.

Now that we are done with vacations for the summer, I can fully concentrate on this tank!  I'm going to order a new light.  I think Kimberbee is sending me one of her inTank media baskets.  We were supposed to meet up on this trip but we ended up leaving back for home on a different day than planned so that messed up our plans to meet.  But we talked about shipping those items instead.

Looking forward to putting a lot of attention toward this tank now.

• Like 7
Nano sapiens
2 hours ago, gena said:

I tell ya what...if you want to see growth from your house plants and fish tanks....go away for a week LOL.

Yeah, even a few days and my tank seems to look better than ever!  It's like the tank knows that the 'strange creature always staring at me' is gone and it can relax a bit and happily do it's thing 😉

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Nano sapiens said:

Yeah, even a few days and my tank seems to look better than ever!  It's like the tank knows that the 'strange creature always staring at me' is gone and it can relax a bit and happily do it's thing 😉

Exactly LOL

Ordered my white AI Prime today.  I would have totally stayed with this razor light but it is so large and makes it difficult to remove the media basket (I have to remove the light to do that)...so I bought the Prime.  I also got the gooseneck holder like I had before.  I was happy with that combo.  I know these things don't go on sale, like ever, so I used a coupon code I had gotten from Marine Depot for Bulk Reef Supply for $10 off.  Better than nothing, right?

Should be here early next week!

Here are a few photos of the tank I took today.  I love how these leathers and other softies are plumping up for me.

Also...having great lighting in a room is fabulous, but makes photo taking a challenge.  Lots of reflection to deal with.

ACS_3893.thumb.JPG.6376779b65f25dd2c222df1a0e1a451f.JPG

6CAEFE87-28D0-4AAA-A6AE-EE7858195250.thumb.JPG.dd4d6350ad582ce0d69f2e1e7b811881.JPG

A6A30326-62DC-427D-BB51-C497EC2354FB.thumb.JPG.ae9c909a0ab47782dab076fe2fbdf899.JPG

05B13AA6-00A5-400E-B624-FCB9BFA898EB.thumb.JPG.2d3567bfc3f1ef9894ff070bb4a58d99.JPG

• Like 7

Lookin' rad Gena! And I second (or third, or maybe fourth 😅) the notion that leaving your tank alone for awhile is usually good for things. Whenever I do that with my 40g reef I always notice things perking up more than they normally do if I am mucking around in there all the time.

Can't wait to see how things look under the new light! The AI Prime is a great investment, because if you ever upgrade you can still use it after you transfer. You could even pair it with a second one and still have plenty of power to light a much larger tank if that's what you choose. It'll last for a really long time too!

• Like 1
13 hours ago, billygoat said:

Lookin' rad Gena! And I second (or third, or maybe fourth 😅) the notion that leaving your tank alone for awhile is usually good for things. Whenever I do that with my 40g reef I always notice things perking up more than they normally do if I am mucking around in there all the time.

Can't wait to see how things look under the new light! The AI Prime is a great investment, because if you ever upgrade you can still use it after you transfer. You could even pair it with a second one and still have plenty of power to light a much larger tank if that's what you choose. It'll last for a really long time too!

Thanks!  Still kicking myself for selling the one I had LOL.  I'm not making that mistake ever again LOL.

2 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Tank looks so good. Really and you are just coming up on a month since set up!

Thank you!!!!  I can't take much of the credit...this tank was running for 6 years when I picked it up (I had a big head start).  But, moving forward, I'll take credit for it continuing to thrive 😊

• Haha 2
Just now, Rehype said:

Coming along beautifully Gena. Cant wait to see the prime over this tank

Thanks!  I checked tracking and it's already in my city.  But I don't think UPS delivers on Saturday, so for sure Monday!!!!!  I can't get over how fast I'm getting things from BRS!!!  I guess they really are my new Marine Depot.  When I lived in SoCal, MD was my go-to supply vendor.  I used to get things super fast from them and super slow from BRS. 

Haven't ordered the diffuser yet.  I'm going to set up this light first and see how it looks.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, gena said:

Thanks!  I checked tracking and it's already in my city.  But I don't think UPS delivers on Saturday, so for sure Monday!!!!!  I can't get over how fast I'm getting things from BRS!!!  I guess they really are my new Marine Depot.  When I lived in SoCal, MD was my go-to supply vendor.  I used to get things super fast from them and super slow from BRS. 

Haven't ordered the diffuser yet.  I'm going to set up this light first and see how it looks.

I love BRS and I’ve been getting things delivered on weekneds from them so you may get it on Saturday.  😊

• Like 1
2 hours ago, gena said:

My experience has been the opposite I get things super fast from Marine depot but takes like a week when I order from BRS. Although I think that will change if BRS starts utilizing the Marine Depot Warehouse here on the east coast.

Thats awesome you may like the way it looks without the diffuser as it seems most reefers dont notice or care about the slight discoball effect... im just picky lol.

• Like 1