Coral Vue Hydros

Gena's IM Fusion 10 Softy Tank

gena

It arrived today, like I thought!  I read that in bigger cities they do deliver on Saturdays.  I guess my city isn't big enough.

Still playing around with the settings.  I kind of like the way it looks with their settings though.  I think each is at 60%.  I forgot how to set this darn thing up LOL.  Me and stuff like this don't mix too well.  Eventually I'll figure it out.

Much sleeker and now I can remove my media basket without having to remove the light.  Makes life so much easier LOL.

ACS_3904.thumb.JPG.4a7da0e41f404d973d926a70071008fa.JPG

• Like 12

Your room looks so light and airy.  

I only have experience with AI Prime lights, but I've never tried to make slight modifications to the light settings and though, "wow - this is easy".  Maybe that's just me?  

• Like 1
1 minute ago, TatorTaco said:

Your room looks so light and airy.  

I only have experience with AI Prime lights, but I've never tried to make slight modifications to the light settings and though, "wow - this is easy".  Maybe that's just me?  

Same here!  It's hard to know what percentages to put (for me anyways).  Too much red or too much green promotes algae, supposedly.  But then I read that's B.S.  I don't know.  Tempted to just keep it what it came with.  I need to go watch some set-up youtube videos for sure.

47 minutes ago, gena said:

It arrived today, like I thought!  I read that in bigger cities they do deliver on Saturdays.  I guess my city isn't big enough.

Still playing around with the settings.  I kind of like the way it looks with their settings though.  I think each is at 60%.  I forgot how to set this darn thing up LOL.  Me and stuff like this don't mix too well.  Eventually I'll figure it out.

Much sleeker and now I can remove my media basket without having to remove the light.  Makes life so much easier LOL.

ACS_3904.thumb.JPG.4a7da0e41f404d973d926a70071008fa.JPG

ooooooo looks so clean! love it 

How high off the water is it and how do you feel about the shimmer?

Dont worry about the app its super easy to configure

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Rehype said:

ooooooo looks so clean! love it 

How high off the water is it and how do you feel about the shimmer?

Dont worry about the app its super easy to configure

Thanks!  It's 10" from the top of the tank and 11" from the water.  It's really shimmery!  I think I might order the diffuser.  Supposed to help with LEDs in the eyes too.

I think I figured out my light schedule.  I don't need a ton of light with just softies so I'm keeping it fairly low.  I see some people running in the 100% plus range.  I'm leaving mine at 60%.

Can someone tell me what this gadget is supposed to be for?  I really wish the light came with a booklet (directions) LOL.

ACS_3905.thumb.JPG.288da838c72f6f7f2df4763ebc7393e3.JPG

growsomething

I forget what that tool does, but I remember using it.  Did you find you had to turn the upper bracket upside down from the directions because of the cord?

6 minutes ago, gena said:

Thanks!  It's 10" from the top of the tank and 11" from the water.  It's really shimmery!  I think I might order the diffuser.  Supposed to help with LEDs in the eyes too.

I think I figured out my light schedule.  I don't need a ton of light with just softies so I'm keeping it fairly low.  I see some people running in the 100% plus range.  I'm leaving mine at 60%.

Can someone tell me what this gadget is supposed to be for?  I really wish the light came with a booklet (directions) LOL.

ACS_3905.thumb.JPG.288da838c72f6f7f2df4763ebc7393e3.JPG

I didnt even notice that mine came with that but I usually the same tool for removing the SIM from my phone 😂Id imagine its used to reset the unit to factory defaults

Are you using all the colors? or did you tweak it a bit?

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, growsomething said:

I forget what that tool does, but I remember using it.  Did you find you had to turn the upper bracket upside down from the directions because of the cord?

No LOL.  Not sure I understand what you're asking though.

1 minute ago, Rehype said:

I didnt even notice that mine came with that but I usually the same tool for removing the SIM from my phone 😂Id imagine its used to reset the unit to factory defaults

Are you using all the colors? or did you tweak it a bit?

Ok good!  I thought I was supposed to stick it somewhere or there'd be a catastrophic failure of my light LMAO.  

Yep...using all the colors.  All at 60%.  Looks good to my eye so I'm gonna go with it.  I'll see how things do and tweak it if it needs it.

growsomething

This is the opposite of the directions, but you can't turn that arm the opposite way, the cord comes out at the wrong spot and pushes on the little angle if it is turned down.  Maybe they finally changed the directions.  I assumed ppl were misunderstanding them in the reviews until I tried to put mine together according to the directions.

20210726_183819.thumb.jpg.5eee93d863dc742bfc09aefacd42ef1a.jpg

30 minutes ago, growsomething said:

This is the opposite of the directions, but you can't turn that arm the opposite way, the cord comes out at the wrong spot and pushes on the little angle if it is turned down.  Maybe they finally changed the directions.  I assumed ppl were misunderstanding them in the reviews until I tried to put mine together according to the directions.

20210726_183819.thumb.jpg.5eee93d863dc742bfc09aefacd42ef1a.jpg

Oh I see!  I have the flex arm and yours looks like the other one they sell?  Mine just has a screw on the arm that screws into the light.  

That new light looks so much better. Absolutely a nice upgrade.

14 hours ago, gena said:

• Like 1

BRS did a video on the AI Prime you might find helpful.  If you skip to 10:10(ish), they'll give you a light setting that I used for a long time.  

• Like 2

@TatorTaco that was helpful.  Thank you!!!!!

Here's what I set my schedule at right now.  Sunrise is 8am Sunset is 5pm.  I bumped the UV up to 75%.  All others were supposed to be 60% but I see some are at 61% lol.  Not a big enough difference to go in and fix right now.

I really have no clue what percentages I "should" be using.  I really need to spend more time with this, but I don't really wanna LOL.  I'm just going to leave as is and see how the coral reacts.  Unless someone sees a glaringly obvious mistake with how I've set this up.  I have entirely softies in this tank.  No SPS, no LPS and no plans for those either.  Although possibly at some point I'll get some turquoise candy canes.

391594829_Screenshot2021-07-27at9_45_23AM.thumb.jpeg.ecc7ae0877598e84ef993e9ac121af67.jpeg

4 hours ago, gena said:

In my light schedule...see the turquoise vertical line around 10am ish?  What is that indicating?

I believe it's indicating that your UV is higher (at 75%) than the others

• Like 1
7 hours ago, gena said:

In my light schedule...see the turquoise vertical line around 10am ish?  What is that indicating?

That is the current time. If you look right now you will see it has moved.

Edited by PeterU
More complete info
  • Like 4
14 hours ago, PeterU said:

That is the current time. If you look right now you will see it has moved.

Yes, it has!  Cool...thanks!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Update time.  I got an inTank media basket installed....can you tell???? 😂 .  I  know you can't, but I sure can!!!!  What a psychological and physical difference it makes LOL.  I always used one before.  I think they are just the best.  This one fits like a glove.  Thanks @kimberbee.  She was kind enough to send it to me along with a few other things.  

I haven't added anything else new to the tank.  I really want to buy a neon green sinularia off of Etsy, of all places.  I had no idea you could buy coral on etsy!  I knew you could buy house plants, so makes sense.  That's why I searched there.  

Did a water change today so I could install my new-to-me media basket.  I think I might start doing every other week water changes instead of monthly.  After two weeks I feel the need to clean.  Other than that, things are just chugging along here.  Growing and stuff.

ACS_3962.thumb.JPG.3b0c5411e6e5b6a6709eb5fff1fa2919.JPG

• Like 10

Ok...I placed another order with BRS.  Someone stop me LOL.  I thought I was done buying things but realized I needed the proper netting to make my new tank top/lid.  They had the netting. 

Also, while doing my water change yesterday, I realized I could use a good scraper.  My tank is a coralline algae factory.  What's up with that?  Must be the RSCP salt I'm using.  I'm not complaining at all, BTW.  So I ordered a nano Flipper.  They are supposedly new and improved.  I had one before and loved it.  Now I guess they float if they come un-attached.  I could use that convenience for sure.  This will be so much better than the hand held razor blade that I've been using.

Then I put a new gravel cleaner in my cart.  The one I picked up at petco is too fat LOL.  I need a thinner tube.  I thought about springing for the fancy trigger handle one that @Rehype picked up but I didn't see it at BRS.  So I went with the old-fashioned style.

And finally I added some chemipure blue nano to the cart.  

Not too much damage with that order.  I saved like $7 with my rewards from the last purchase too.  

Also I just want to say that I have a deep appreciation for green hair algae now.  I've got some growing on the back side of my rocks.  It's super weak and easy to pull out.  But I realize now after so many years that green hair algae is my friend.  It's a great nutrient user-upper.  If I can keep growing it at this pace, I will be a happy reefer.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
12 hours ago, Rehype said:

Looks fantastic Gena! We need a close up shot 😁

Oh BTW you can order the Hygger from amazon.. only 20 bucks

Thanks!  I'll work on some closeups.  I have a lot of trouble with reflection (the room is so bright) so I need to figure something out about that.  Also, my not too colorful baby soft corals aren't too photogenic yet either LOL.  They need to grow a bit more.

I saw it was available on Amazon when you first posted yours.  Maybe next Amazon order, I'll throw that in.  It's so cool and sounds like it would be so great for controlling the amount of water that gets pulled out.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, gena said:

Thanks!  I'll work on some closeups.  I have a lot of trouble with reflection (the room is so bright) so I need to figure something out about that.  Also, my not too colorful baby soft corals aren't too photogenic yet either LOL.  They need to grow a bit more.

I feel this. Photographing my dang reef tank is by far the hardest part of this hobby for me. I love my giant windows, but the light that streams through them is my eternal enemy. When I want to do a proper photo shoot I usually have someone hold up a towel behind me to block the glare. 😂

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, billygoat said:

I feel this. Photographing my dang reef tank is by far the hardest part of this hobby for me. I love my giant windows, but the light that streams through them is my eternal enemy. When I want to do a proper photo shoot I usually have someone hold up a towel behind me to block the glare. 😂

For sure!  I'm really picky about what photos I want to show.  Or maybe picky is the wrong word....perfectionist is more accurate LOL.  I need to relax a bit LOL.

Ok...here are some closeups.  Not great but oh well.  I'm looking into adding a bit more color to this tank.  Though I've never minded the "drab" corals.  They are kinda soothing to me, being more "natural" looking to my eyes.  Color is bad ass too.  My goal is to get a nice balance of drab and colorful but mostly drab LOL.

So the first picture is a, I believe, devils hand leather (at the top) from Petco, and a WWC Speckled Leather that I ordered online from World Wide Corals.

0E63BBEB-BA80-4D99-92D3-E6010C9B3093.thumb.JPG.1ec0fdc7361f57fb3f8bdb4ab44e24f6.JPG

Waving Hand Anthelia from WWC.  I love how pink this one is.

1B170D8F-405D-4E41-9411-FCE01053281A.thumb.JPG.5d1cf49930733044e27db5c5f8233490.JPG

Toadstool leather from Petco and Kenya tree in the background from Petco.

23EFBED5-A8F3-4A63-9C0A-385A9C5EA459.thumb.JPG.2eb298ee9e7cf083bff2baca3dcb44c5.JPG

Clownfish in toadstool leather that came already attached to the rock.  She loves that leather.

99BD63FF-E047-447C-BFCD-DACB57C5302A.thumb.JPG.56e994425babd25fcdbb0fa7e6540112.JPG

• Like 8