Top Shelf Aquatics

29 gallon: R.E.E.F Tank

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Mushrooms tend to get very pissed about meds, I have never had any die though. 

If your nutrients are low, I would keep alk 7-8 to avoid burnt tips. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

My tank is looking much better after 3 days so far of raising my alk by .4 each day. Right now my alk is at 7.8, I’m trying to get it to 8.5 and then keep it there and stable. Also I added the flucazole to the tank 3 days ago and I’ve noticed the bryopsis is slowing down and has white/see through ends. It’s slowed down, but it’s still there, how long does it take for it to completely eradicate it. Also, my sps are looking much better, they both have full polyp extension, but are missing a bit of flesh. The bryopsis is not longer sticking to the skeleton of the sps that lost flesh, so hopefully it’ll grow back after things get stable. My scoly was also looking worse and worse, it’s bones were sticking through the flesh, but it’s been looking better the past few days. The only things that are upset still for some reason are my mushrooms. I’ve never had problems with them? My bounce has been shriveled up and it’s insides are outside of it and my leopard mushroom has also been shriveled up? My jawbreaker is fine, but why are they so angry?

My mushrooms got pissed when I dropped my Nitrates and phosphates for SPS keeping. Eventually they recovered

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
6 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

My mushrooms got pissed when I dropped my Nitrates and phosphates for SPS keeping. Eventually they recovered

Yea they’ve been pissed for like a week so far. My newest one that is the bounce mushroom is really shriveled up and looks horrible. How can I raise my nutrients and nitrates while keeping my alk stable? What’s the best way to go about this

3 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Yea they’ve been pissed for like a week so far. My newest one that is the bounce mushroom is really shriveled up and looks horrible. How can I raise my nutrients and nitrates while keeping my alk stable? What’s the best way to go about this

No idea, never tested for alk or Dosed Nything apart from pods and phyto 

• Like 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
34 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Mushrooms tend to get very pissed about meds, I have never had any die though. 

If your nutrients are low, I would keep alk 7-8 to avoid burnt tips. 

Tamberav, you know anything?

30 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Dose phosphate and nitrate from a bottle, more controlled than just overfeeding and letting things rot.

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
36 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

Dose phosphate and nitrate from a bottle, more controlled than just overfeeding and letting things rot.

Ok thank you, I’ll have to get some to dose. My one mushroom really doesn’t look good. It almost looks like he’s melting, but his body is still there, but these white stringy things are all over him. I can barely see the green color anymore.

• Sad 1
2 hours ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Ok thank you, I’ll have to get some to dose. My one mushroom really doesn’t look good. It almost looks like he’s melting, but his body is still there, but these white stringy things are all over him. I can barely see the green color anymore.

Photo? 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I’m sorry everyone, I can’t get a photo of my tank. My mom grounded me from my phone, I’m using my school iPad right now. But just let me try to explain my situation. The bryopsis in my tank is almost all gone, it’s amazing how this flucazole works. My sps are also getting better. My acro is growing skin back over the spots where it lost the flesh and looks so much better. All my acans and scolys and trachys are looking great and my acans have grown a bunch of new heads. My leather looks great too, as well as my zoas. But not everything is good. My hammer and my torch look horrible. They both have lost flesh and look horrible. I’m so afraid that my torch may get brown jelly disease. I also have two leopard mushrooms on a plug that are not happy, but I have a leopard mushroom on a rock that is growing and looks great. I don’t understand why it’s doing better. It’s the same with my other mushrooms. My ric and my jawbreaker are on the rock and they look great. It’s only my mushrooms that are on a plug that are angry and look horrible.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I checked my params last night:

alk.-8.0

calc-430

mag-1300

nitrates-2.0

nitrites-0

Ph-8.1

ammonia-0

salinity-1.024

Everything seems good, so I just don’t understand why some of my corals are mad.  It may just be something as simple as I need to keep my tank stable. I just brought my params up to this, so maybe I just need to keep my tank stable for a while. I was gonna run to my LFS today to get more salt mix, but they said that they are out of it at the moment, but they do have these 4.4 gallons of natures ocean nutri-seawater for 11 dollars. I’ve read good reviews about this water, should I give it a try? 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Just a quick update

My tank is doing a lot better.  Corals are looking great, the bryopsis is almost all gone, my sps are getting there color back and have full polyp extension all the time. Everything looks great including my mushrooms. Just one of my mushrooms is a little upset and I think that’s due to the flow. I really want to get some pictures, but I’m still grounded. 

• Like 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

For the past few months I’ve been battling bryopsis and getting my water quality back to looking good, and I think my problems are almost gone. There is just a tiny patch of bryopsis left and it’s just surrounding my zoas. It should hopefully die away soon. I’ve been doing water changes with the 4.4 gallons of natures ocean nutri-seawater and that really seems to help. I feel like my salt mixture that I was using was old or something, bc every time I did a water change, things would be upset. I also found a mystery coral that just randomly appeared from somewhere. I love when things just randomly show up for free. It’s on my hammers skeleton and I honestly don’t know how it survived with the hammer bombarding it. But it is and it’s growing. It looks like a purple candy cane coral to me. Since there’s been a die off of bryopsis in my tank, cyano has appeared again, but it’s in small quantities. 

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I’m trying to get my gsp to crawl up the back glass and it looks like it’s starting to work. I couldn’t get very good pics of my acro, my camera is not the best. I was using my brothers phone.

15D3750C-CD01-4B04-8B2D-8CDA3D8B90F2.png

7477B13B-1AF9-4D0B-8675-D5F2C1272BAE.png

04BF3888-6326-475B-BCCC-BAB66DDE4971.png

1C39AD9F-A3C2-4C73-B327-CC88AC7415E7.png

A316017B-FD0E-4CB3-A88F-D81108532664.png

F06B5D75-6AD5-48F1-81E5-E60BC6C5C29C.png

43DF6361-E760-429F-9685-54D1634C9A15.png

34384D2E-B327-4CD1-AC91-52AD92AA86CD.png

CFCA48E6-C2B4-41BA-BB11-DD92BB71AA25.png

Also, why does my acro look so bland in color? It’s not a pretty blue and purple like it used to be, it’s more brown now.

• Like 2
NoOneLikesADryTang
1 hour ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I’m trying to get my gsp to crawl up the back glass and it looks like it’s starting to work. I couldn’t get very good pics of my acro, my camera is not the best. I was using my brothers phone.

15D3750C-CD01-4B04-8B2D-8CDA3D8B90F2.png

7477B13B-1AF9-4D0B-8675-D5F2C1272BAE.png

04BF3888-6326-475B-BCCC-BAB66DDE4971.png

1C39AD9F-A3C2-4C73-B327-CC88AC7415E7.png

A316017B-FD0E-4CB3-A88F-D81108532664.png

F06B5D75-6AD5-48F1-81E5-E60BC6C5C29C.png

43DF6361-E760-429F-9685-54D1634C9A15.png

34384D2E-B327-4CD1-AC91-52AD92AA86CD.png

CFCA48E6-C2B4-41BA-BB11-DD92BB71AA25.png

Also, why does my acro look so bland in color? It’s not a pretty blue and purple like it used to be, it’s more brown now.

SPS need stability. Your tank isn’t stable enough for it to be happy, and this is the result. Get the tank stable, and it’ll probably color back up for you. 

• Like 4
47 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Do y’all think I could possibly get another fish? I have 3 fish in total right now and I’ve had my eyes on a engineer goby? 

Engineer gobies get very large and they create burrows which can undo your scape/knock down rocks. There are also reports of aggression as they mature. <-- Just something to consider if you really want one. 

How about a small blenny instead? Like a TSB? 

• Like 4
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
9 hours ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Engineer gobies get very large and they create burrows which can undo your scape/knock down rocks. There are also reports of aggression as they mature. <-- Just something to consider if you really want one. 

How about a small blenny instead? Like a TSB? 

Oh, what about something like a fire fish goby? I used to have one and they were fun to watch. 

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Oh, what about something like a fire fish goby? I used to have one and they were fun to watch. 

Firefish are okay - but they're quite timid. You have a maroon clown in there, am I correct? The firefish *might get bullied by the maroon. 

What options are you actually looking into? Perchers, swimmers or sand-dwellers?

• Like 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
5 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Firefish are okay - but they're quite timid. You have a maroon clown in there, am I correct? The firefish *might get bullied by the maroon. 

What options are you actually looking into? Perchers, swimmers or sand-dwellers?

Kinda a percher, I already have swimmers and sand dwellers. What kinda perchers are there?

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Yellow assessor, tailspot blenny, firefish, swales basslet, pike blenny?

^Add-On to that: Neon Goby, YCG, GCG, GBG, bicolor blenny, segmented sailfin blenny, starry blenny etc. --> all perchers, since you currently don't have one.

• Like 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
9 hours ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

SPS need stability. Your tank isn’t stable enough for it to be happy, and this is the result. Get the tank stable, and it’ll probably color back up for you. 

Yea, I was working on getting rid of the pests in my tank, and then I was gonna focus fully on water quality. All the pests are almost gone, so I’m gonna focus on getting stuff stable now. I’m thinking about buying a Hanna alk checker, bc of how easy they are to use. The Red Sea test kit can be a real hassle to use, but it’s accurate 

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
1 minute ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

^Add-On to that: Neon Goby, YCG, GCG, GBG, bicolor blenny, segmented sailfin blenny, starry blenny etc. --> all perchers, since you currently don't have one.

What about a hawkfish? Idk if that’s an option, but it doesn’t hurt to ask. I have always loved starry blennys, that may be an option