Cultivated Reef

29 gallon: R.E.E.F Tank

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I also decided to move some stuff around in the tank. Made sections for everything. I made a euphyllia section that I named euphyllia euphoria😂. And a section for my corals that are very similar like trachy, scoly, and acans. I call it trachy town😂. Mushrooms don’t really have their own section yet, I plan on making an entire softy section that will be named softy shores😂. I don’t have enough sps to really do something with that, but once I get more, I’ll make a section for that too😂

CBD92C78-AE67-4194-99FE-DCA3C90C554A.jpeg

15880A69-F31F-4C5D-AFC5-9320E50100E6.jpeg

388CD58A-AE38-4169-905D-134CC0457894.jpeg

7F27C358-17A3-4219-AA56-22EF3DD6EBFE.jpeg

Here’s trachy town😂

5C99D8F7-1495-45E8-A2DC-3E597F1F9A63.jpeg

• Like 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
3 hours ago, Ratvan said:

Amazing

Yea, it was honestly pretty cool, I don’t understand where it was this entire time. I just now found it😂

• Haha 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Ok quick question that need answered. How long should I leave the frag rack with the Acro and monti close to the sand bed before raising it up to give the Acro and monti the kinda light that they would want to thrive? I can’t wait to see some sps growth. I used to have zero success with any kind of sps, but that was before I started to become serious about my tank. I’m also dosing amino acids and other vitamins every week too. I’ve been doing that for the past 3 months and because of that, Ive seen amazing growth from everything in my tank. I’m hoping that the monti and Acro will both start to show growth after a month or so.

I'm leaving mine for 5 days, if they do well after that time straight to final mounting spots. My frags are interesting. Half of them open immediately and stay open. The other have stayed closed for 2-3 days and slowly started to open now.

I can mount 2 of these in permanent spots now, once I decide where that is

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
35 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

I'm leaving mine for 5 days, if they do well after that time straight to final mounting spots. My frags are interesting. Half of them open immediately and stay open. The other have stayed closed for 2-3 days and slowly started to open now.

I can mount 2 of these in permanent spots now, once I decide where that is

I don’t want to put the Acro in its final mounting spot in 5 days. I’ll just move the frag rack to the height that I want after 5 days and then I’ll wait another 3 or 5 days to see how it does in that spot, and if it does well, I’ll then put in its final mounting spot. My Duncan’s and my green tipped torch are like that I just put them in yesterday and the Duncan’s are still not fully opened and the torch’s tentacles are really short and thin. I don’t think that the torches tentacles are supposed to like that

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Also another quick question. Does the Montipora spongodes species only come in a neon green color morph? I’ve only seen the neon green? I can’t find any other colors

13 hours ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I also decided to move some stuff around in the tank. Made sections for everything. I made a euphyllia section that I named euphyllia euphoria😂. And a section for my corals that are very similar like trachy, scoly, and acans. I call it trachy town😂. Mushrooms don’t really have their own section yet, I plan on making an entire softy section that will be named softy shores😂. I don’t have enough sps to really do something with that, but once I get more, I’ll make a section for that too😂

CBD92C78-AE67-4194-99FE-DCA3C90C554A.jpeg

15880A69-F31F-4C5D-AFC5-9320E50100E6.jpeg

388CD58A-AE38-4169-905D-134CC0457894.jpeg

7F27C358-17A3-4219-AA56-22EF3DD6EBFE.jpeg

Here’s trachy town😂

5C99D8F7-1495-45E8-A2DC-3E597F1F9A63.jpeg

Things look pretty good in there Ethan. 😊

That thing looks like a dog tooth. 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
15 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Things look pretty good in there Ethan. 😊

That thing looks like a dog tooth. 😄

Thank you, it’s been a lot of work, as you probably already know how much work it is😂. It does looks like a dog tooth, but I doubt that it is😂

• Like 2
1 hour ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Also another quick question. Does the Montipora spongodes species only come in a neon green color morph? I’ve only seen the neon green? I can’t find any other colors

Just green I think but if it does well, montipora setosa is another good choice.

• Like 3

Spongodes is green only. Over time as polyps develop it could look brownish. Move the rack up slowly, a couple inches each week. Don’t be alarmed if the SPS brown out over the next week, this is normal due to transit. Watch that tissue necrosis on the lower branch of the Acro. You may need to trim it if it becomes an algae magnet.

You need to address that algae in your tank. Before you ignore that link I posted on Vibrant, it does work well if you proceed per instructions or more cautiously.

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
2 hours ago, SliceGolfer said:

Spongodes is green only. Over time as polyps develop it could look brownish. Move the rack up slowly, a couple inches each week. Don’t be alarmed if the SPS brown out over the next week, this is normal due to transit. Watch that tissue necrosis on the lower branch of the Acro. You may need to trim it if it becomes an algae magnet.

You need to address that algae in your tank. Before you ignore that link I posted on Vibrant, it does work well if you proceed per instructions or more cautiously.

Oh, I’m sorry, I don’t remember a link. My bad. I’ll probably try the peroxide thing tonight. I’ll take a rock out of the tank for a small fraction of time and put some peroxide on the patches of algae. Do I not have to worry about leftover peroxide that is on the rocks and when I put it back in the tank that it may leak into the water? Will that hurt anything? And if the peroxide gets on my zoas or gsp or any other corals, will the corals be ok? I know that you said that mushrooms will be ok, but what about everything else? I want to get the algae on the gsp off. It seems to be bugging it a little bit

Will the algae when it dies make my water quality horrible?

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

And if I were to use lemon juice on the aptasia in my tank, do I have to directly inject the aptasia, or could I just use like a plunger and push the lemon juice right into the aptasias mouth? And if I do try to kill the aptasia, will it release spores whenever I try to kill it?

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Also, if I needed an actual syringe, how would I even get that??? I asked the pharmacy and they said that you can’t just buy them because they are behind the counter?

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
24 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

You can buy them on amazon. 

Lemon juice you inject them.

Quick question, I’m out of peroxide, could I use 70% rubbing alcohol instead?

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

None of euphyllias were happy today when I got home, and I tried every place in my tank for placement. They still weren’t happy, so I had to do the extreme. I completely changed my aquascape. I actually like it better. And the euphyllias seem to be doing a bit better too after doing this. Here are some pictures. 

1ADC37D9-CF5E-4336-B6CF-478B2653289C.jpeg

6918ECC0-F68A-4A65-B1EE-C04D44471957.jpeg

1A490FB5-9B30-4566-A593-1F7CFB174817.jpeg

33A89CB7-6DDC-4F0E-9745-8AE4FD886D44.jpeg

D06C9FA7-D88B-4C39-A726-16ADE7A314C2.jpeg

B86F20B4-6A54-450E-B181-E2D475EDD0AF.jpeg

41BC8D21-A093-4026-B3D3-B11740D28EE5.jpeg

0BD3B923-3ED8-403E-8A05-6471CC743AEF.jpeg

2C940BDE-D69C-415C-8F10-3ACA125536EF.jpeg

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

The miyagi tort has changed color also, it now has purple branches and a green base instead of a blue base and brown branches. 

This was the euphyllias when I first got home.

EA7CD48C-D6DD-47B1-BDF3-B04FB24442A3.jpeg

9BA822C7-69DA-4FAC-AE5F-32BC46820769.jpeg

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I also found my peppermint shrimp that I thought was dead when changing the aqua scape. He has grown a lot more too. He’s been hidden for almost 2 months. At least he hasn’t bothered any corals. But he also hasn’t messed with any aptasia either🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Is 430 calcium good? I used my Red Sea test kit to get that. Not gonna lie, it’s kinda complicated, I had to watch a YouTube video multiple times. And is 9.8 alk good?