Top Shelf Aquatics

29 gallon: R.E.E.F Tank

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
1 minute ago, Tired said:

What you buy is up to you, but those are all nice corals. 

And, again, you really ought to combine all these posts into one. If you have an afterthought 1 or 2 minutes after making a post, edit that post to include it, otherwise you're going to have an even longer thread full of very short posts. It makes it hard to read.

Oh shoot, yea I should’ve tried that. I’ll do it next time. I try to include most of my tank pictures on one post, but I can only post so much at a time. It only lets me post 25m of pictures, then I have to exact out of nano reef and log back in to post more

You can try posting smaller photos, they'll take up less space. We can see just fine on ones that aren't huge. 

If I were you, I would make sure everything is stable before buying so many dollars worth of corals. Get into a good water change schedule that keeps your algaes at a reasonable place, make sure all your corals are happy and growing and your parameters are stable. Then add more. 

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

All corals I have at the moment are all happy and I have seen growth in all of them. I know that I can keep all of the ones already that I’m considering buying, except for the acros. I’ve never tried acros, so I don’t know. But I already have a hammer and it’s happy and I’ve already seen growth. My trachy and scoly vietenis have also shown significant growth. 

Those are hardier choices for acros but still acros...

The one thing I don't like about it is...they are listed as 3/4-1 inch. That is so tiny. Are they are fresh cut and are being shipped? Are they really 3/4 inch? I guess I would ask the seller more about those pieces. 

For example when I ordered SPS from cultivated reef they also list as 3/4 inch but what I got was multi-branch 2 inch or so frags that were encrusted. Then when I ordered from BSA corals I got nubbins (but I knew I would get this so not really complaining, just pointing out differences in venders). 

I am not familiar with this vender. 

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
48 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Those are hardier choices for acros but still acros...

The one thing I don't like about it is...they are listed as 3/4-1 inch. That is so tiny. Are they are fresh cut and are being shipped? Are they really 3/4 inch? I guess I would ask the seller more about those pieces. 

For example when I ordered SPS from cultivated reef they also list as 3/4 inch but what I got was multi-branch 2 inch or so frags that were encrusted. Then when I ordered from BSA corals I got nubbins (but I knew I would get this so not really complaining, just pointing out differences in venders). 

I am not familiar with this vender. 

Yea, I have been bombarding the vendor with questions about everything I’m considering ordering so far. He hasn’t gotten even the slightest bit annoyed with me and seems to be a genuinely nice vendor. He says that he waits 2 weeks after fragging before selling them. 

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Yea, I have been bombarding the vendor with questions about everything I’m considering ordering so far. He hasn’t gotten even the slightest bit annoyed with me and seems to be a genuinely nice vendor. He says that he waits 2 weeks after fragging before selling them. 

That sounds a bit quick to me. Depending on the coral and the frag I'd want 30-90 days rest

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I asked the guy how long he has had the Acro frags cut off of the mother colony, and he said that he’s had them fragged long enough to completely encrust the frag plug and they have grown a bit more. He said that I’m definitely gonna get a bigger frag than 1 inch. 

• Like 3
16 hours ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I asked the guy how long he has had the Acro frags cut off of the mother colony, and he said that he’s had them fragged long enough to completely encrust the frag plug and they have grown a bit more. He said that I’m definitely gonna get a bigger frag than 1 inch. 

Sounds good, looking forwards to seeing them

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

They just added a few more acros to their site, and they look like very high end acros. They have them on sale tho for very cheap. Should I get one of these? Or are these ones not one of the beginner acros? I’m guessing they are harder to take care of.

4B99D574-658B-456B-913D-73EA54574C80.png

1BC0D8AD-FB8D-4A47-895F-2D9BD932D49E.png

• Like 1

That dragon one will die... Most smooth skin like that are delicate even by experienced acro keepers. 

I would not buy them as you should be trying something 'old school' first. 

• Like 3
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
25 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

That dragon one will die... Most smooth skin like that are delicate even by experienced acro keepers. 

Yea, that’s what I was thinking. I wanted to make sure with everyone first before buying anything.

26 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

What do you recommend are old school acros? Is the two I picked out so far old school ones?

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
17 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Oregon Tort and Purple Monster? Lmao

The Oregon tort that the same site is selling is like $100, I don’t want to spend $100 just yet on one Acro. I want to start small.

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I also liked this one too, but I’m still not sure about dropping that much on a Acro at the moment.

B599126A-4FC0-4FE3-9612-7744CADE0966.png

And this is a smooth skinned Acro correct? Almost impossible to take care of?

43730005-8C71-4C99-B9A9-E18C22601F18.png

The tri color one you linked is the one you should try and is 'old school'. Its easier to keep colored than some others too. 

Most things ORA carries is 'old school' acros. 

• Like 3
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
37 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

The tri color one you linked is the one you should try and is 'old school'. Its easier to keep colored than some others too. 

Most things ORA carries is 'old school' acros. 

Ok, then I’ll stick to the miyagi tort and the ORA one. And also, is my light high powered enough for these acros? I was planning to place them on the flat plain of rock in my tank. Is that high enough? I could always place rocks on the flat plain to make it higher. My light is a viparspectra 160w led light. I have it set at 50% blues and 20% whites.

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
2 minutes ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

The ViparSpectra puts out plenty enough light for SPS. 

Ok, I was just checking to make sure. Placement wise tho, where should I place the acros? Is the flat rock ok?

• Like 1

I'd it were me I'd have them on the sandbed for a few days to get used to your lighting. After that I'd move them to a rack and wait for them to encrust. After that I would mount them, I think that they should do well there. Do you have a frag rack? I'd mount it at the same height as where you plan to mount to see how they do

• Like 4
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
53 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

I'd it were me I'd have them on the sandbed for a few days to get used to your lighting. After that I'd move them to a rack and wait for them to encrust. After that I would mount them, I think that they should do well there. Do you have a frag rack? I'd mount it at the same height as where you plan to mount to see how they do

Yes, I have a frag rack, I haven’t used it in a while, but I can get it back out. What do you mean encrust tho? I was told when I buy the frag that they will already be encrusted over the frag plug? Do you just mean that I should put them at that height to see how they do? If they don’t like it, then either move them up or down in height? 

1 hour ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Yes, I have a frag rack, I haven’t used it in a while, but I can get it back out. What do you mean encrust tho? I was told when I buy the frag that they will already be encrusted over the frag plug? Do you just mean that I should put them at that height to see how they do? If they don’t like it, then either move them up or down in height? 

Well encrust over the frag plug and encrust onto plug are two separate things. We'll come to that later on, probs when I can give a picture example.

Yeah basically. If they do well on the rack then mount them at that height, obviously be a slower process. If some are doing not as good move the rack about and see what it likes. You might find that you may need to play with the scape again or add to it. Or just leave them on the rack if you cant mount them elsewhere, let them grow out and sell/trade