The gold tip torch and the other torch look a lot better also

7886846F-E799-42B5-A539-5ECFF744708D.jpeg

BC122931-043F-41E6-9406-1F5DD9804805.jpeg

FB958778-8AA3-4AB8-8B5F-75E7CC88A06C.jpeg

F5EC139F-A109-455A-AD30-DFD939AA9014.jpeg

6DE10A99-0879-49DE-A5AA-56FD4DBD8C9D.jpeg

3101A599-C912-4B58-B5BC-56D03DD6910E.jpeg

D907471A-F3C9-4997-8213-526733F500FD.jpeg

I don't think that's a gold tip torch. Looks like a green tipped purple torch. 

I could be wrong though or it could be the camera lighting 

• Like 1

Maybe a yellow tip since the yellow tips can look white or green or yellow or such in different lights/pics. 

It's just a generic name given to a torch regardless though. 

• Like 3
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Hey everyone, I just had a question about positioning. I heard that you will get the best growth out of sps corals if you position them sideways instead of upright. Is this true? 

8 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Hey everyone, I just had a question about positioning. I heard that you will get the best growth out of sps corals if you position them sideways instead of upright. Is this true? 

Tests are inconclusive. It may get more light initially but you also kill the underside. Regardless it will be 1-2 years generally for them to become a mature colony. 

• Like 5
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

My next thing that I need to say is that the gold tipped torch did not make it. It did not survive the shipping. It was damaged and it got diseased. It got the brown jelly disease. I had to take it out before it infected the rest of my euphyllias. But besides that, everything looks amazing. Even the acro after I moved it to its spot on the rocks, it’s been gaining more color and it’s polyps are extended. It’s still missing some of the flesh on its side, but it hasn’t spread. It looks like it’s getting better. My monti spongodes has also already started to grow a little bit. I notice a few polyps that are on the tips of the stalks that were not there last week. It’s polyps are also turning red. Idk if they are supposed to or it, but they used to be brown, but now they are turning red. The green tipped torch also is really extended and loves a ton of flow. The Duncan’s also love a lot of flow, which is weird, I thought they didn’t like a lot of flow. 

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

So I just need some help, my acan frag got dragged over to my scoly by my urchin and I think they attacked each other. The acan looks fine, but the scoly is missing a tiny patch of flesh. You can see a tiny piece of bone sticking out. It seems fine other than the small piece sticking out. It’s puffy and happy. Still eats, but will the flesh regrow? 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Also update on everything else. The acro looks happy, it’s polyps are always extended and there is no more tissue loss. I did annoy it last night a little bit when I was glueing it down, but it looks fine today. It is in a place with a lot of flow which it seems to like. The torch is still really extended and really happy and I noticed on its skeleton that it has two different types of sponges growing on it. One that is a black sponge and a pink one. The monti spongodes honestly looks like my happiest coral. It’s polyps are always extended really far and is really bright. I’ve also already started to see a few new polyps that I haven’t seen before.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I’m also considering going with a natural elimination approach for the bryopsis in my tank. I’ve been doing a lot of research on what eats bryopsis and multiple sources say that if you add enough emerald crabs, they will compete for all of the algae in the tank, then they will go after the bryopsis bc it’s all that’s left? I’ve seen multiple sources where people have had success doing this, but the only thing I’m worried about is if I would get an emerald crab that would not be a model citizen and go after my corals. Should I consider this route?

Scoly should be okay as long as it doesn't get an infection. Can't say I ever keep emerald crabs, so I don't know about that. I used reef flux but I know not everyone has a good experience with it.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
7 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Scoly should be okay as long as it doesn't get an infection. Can't say I ever keep emerald crabs, so I don't know about that. I used reef flux but I know not everyone has a good experience with it.

I’m hoping it will heal without getting infected, it really worried me, because it’s never happened to before. And I want to try to stay away from any chemical solutions, because I’m scared about messing up.

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Also, on that small part of the skeleton that is showing on my acro, there is some algae growing on it. The rest of the acro looks good, but that part has algae on it, what should I do?

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
13 hours ago, Tamberav said:

I don't do anything to the algae on it unless it becomes an obviouse problem....just irritates the coral to mess with it.

Oh ok, so I should just leave it? Is it true that if you don’t bother an acro at all, it will do much better? If that’s true, should I just leave it and not touch it at all? The acro still looks good even though it has algae on it, it’s polyps are still extended 

• Like 1
BearTheSquare

In my experience the only corals that do well when you mess with them are mushrooms and Xenia (seems to spread them faster). I’d say keep letting it do it’s thing and hopefully it pulls through. Polyps out is a good sign though. 

• Like 4
5 hours ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Oh ok, so I should just leave it? Is it true that if you don’t bother an acro at all, it will do much better? If that’s true, should I just leave it and not touch it at all? The acro still looks good even though it has algae on it, it’s polyps are still extended 

leave it alone unless you see the algae growing and smothering

• Like 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Looking really great, the acro looks great and the monti also looks amazing. Polyps are always extended and colors are great. The torch is also looking really great too.  I need to get some pictures. I’ll get some pictures later tonight. On the acro frag, there are 2 acros. The biggest one and the little tiny one. I’ve noticed a few new polyps already starting to appear on the small one. It surprisingly seems to be growing really fast. I think my water may be a little too clean honestly. The sps and lps love the water, and I’m noticing growth, but the zoas and mushrooms aren’t growing as fast as they used to. Some of my mushrooms are sometimes not as extended as they used to be. Growth isn’t as crazy with the zoas like it used to be. I used to see a new zoa polyp every 5 days. Now I see a new one maybe once every 2 weeks. Maybe, sometimes a lot more. I think that algae in my tank is making my water very clean.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Looking really great, the acro looks great and the monti also looks amazing. Polyps are always extended and colors are great. The torch is also looking really great too.  I need to get some pictures. I’ll get some pictures later tonight. On the acro frag, there are 2 acros. The biggest one and the little tiny one. I’ve noticed a few new polyps already starting to appear on the small one. It surprisingly seems to be growing really fast. I think my water may be a little too clean honestly. The sps and lps love the water, and I’m noticing growth, but the zoas and mushrooms aren’t growing as fast as they used to. Some of my mushrooms are sometimes not as extended as they used to be. Growth isn’t as crazy with the zoas like it used to be. I used to see a new zoa polyp every 5 days. Now I see a new one maybe once every 2 weeks. Maybe, sometimes a lot more. I think that algae in my tank is making my water very clean.

I'll look forwards to the photo's especially the Monti!

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
2 hours ago, Ratvan said:

I'll look forwards to the photo's especially the Monti!

The monti hasn’t grown a ton, I just notice a few new polyps that I didn’t notice before. I cant tell if the skeleton has grown much at all.

44 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

The monti hasn’t grown a ton, I just notice a few new polyps that I didn’t notice before. I cant tell if the skeleton has grown much at all.

I'm in the same boat with mine, I think they have encrusted slightly. When i make them retract it doesnt seem as small. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2