EthanPhillyCheesesteak

29 gallon: R.E.E.F Tank

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Hey everyone, I just had a question as to where I could possibly find larger colonies? I’m looking for large colonies of sps on google and I can’t seem to find much of anything. Does anyone have any suggestions?

• Like 1

mitten_reef
1 hour ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Hey everyone, I just had a question as to where I could possibly find larger colonies? I’m looking for large colonies of sps on google and I can’t seem to find much of anything. Does anyone have any suggestions?

How many times have I told you about liveaquaria when you were adding fish to check for compatibilities?   Liveaquaria diver's den has a lot of colonies available at decent prices.  

• Haha 2

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
1 hour ago, mitten_reef said:

How many times have I told you about liveaquaria when you were adding fish to check for compatibilities?   Liveaquaria diver's den has a lot of colonies available at decent prices.  

Oh ok, there prices are a bit pricey tho. Divers den is always kinda expensive 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

NoOneLikesADryTang
1 hour ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Oh ok, there prices are a bit pricey tho. Divers den is always kinda expensive 

I disagree - getting a colony of a nice SPS for a little over $100 is a steal. Frags usually cost $30-$100 depending on the coral. 

• Like 1

Amphrites

You're stuck with locals who are forced to get rid of allot all at once then I'm afraid, you're not liable to find large colonies anywhere for sub-100, plenty of frags will set you back more than that these days.

• Like 4

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I haven’t been on nano reef in a while, I’m dealing with a tank crisis at the moment. Idk what to do. I need help. Any help would be appreciated. The bryopsis has taken over the entire tank in about a week. It’s all over the place. My corals tho surprisingly are still happy and I’m noticing a lot of growth on everything. The acro even has a lot of new polyps on it. When I bought the Duncan, it started with 2 heads, it now has the same two but now has about 4 more baby heads maybe a centimeter across for each head. I’ve only had the Duncan for maybe a month. 6 heads already. My acan frag is growing heads like there’s no tomorrow. It started at one, now it has grown about 6 new heads in about 2 months. The monti has grown bigger as well. I don’t see any growth from my mushrooms or euphyllia yet tho. Same with my zoas, the growth kinda just stopped with them. They still look good and open, but they aren’t growing as fast. I think my water may be really clean do to all the algae and the sps love it, but the softies not as much. But what should I do for the bryopsis? Should I try the emerald crab route? I read that if you put more crabs in the tank than what is needed, they will run out of algae and begin eating the bryopsis. It’s worked for people who have tried that. That’s my safest option I feel like. I know that they have a chance to attack my corals, but I have to take the chance. What else should I do?

Tamberav

I used reef flux but I murder my bryopsis before it becomes a problem so it was just two patches. You may have the issue that the algae is keeping your tank in balance but if left alone it will also over run your corals. 

emerald crabs will never get it all. I spot treat with peroxide but you kind of let it get out of hand. As soon as you see a pest...you get rid of it before it multiplies.

Careful when the bryopsis dies it will release it's nutrients back into the water.

• Like 2

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
4 hours ago, Tamberav said:

I used reef flux but I murder my bryopsis before it becomes a problem so it was just two patches. You may have the issue that the algae is keeping your tank in balance but if left alone it will also over run your corals. 

emerald crabs will never get it all. I spot treat with peroxide but you kind of let it get out of hand. As soon as you see a pest...you get rid of it before it multiplies.

Careful when the bryopsis dies it will release it's nutrients back into the water.

I don’t need it completely gone, I just need it to be kept in check, if the emerald crabs can at least just stop it from spreading as much, then I’m fine with that.

Tamberav
6 hours ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I don’t need it completely gone, I just need it to be kept in check, if the emerald crabs can at least just stop it from spreading as much, then I’m fine with that.

It's up to you but I would never add an army of them to my tank as they can sometimes attack fish and with so many of them in a small tank. Seems risky.

I had a tuxedo urchin that would eat bryopsis but don't think that is typical.

• Like 2

Matteo
2 hours ago, Tamberav said:

It's up to you but I would never add an army of them to my tank as they can sometimes attack fish and with so many of them in a small tank. Seems risky.

I had a tuxedo urchin that would eat bryopsis but don't think that is typical.

Yeah my single experience with an emerald wasn't great. 

They'll seriously pull food out of a bta digesting 

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Hey everyone, I was wondering about ordering another acro for my tank. The miyagi is doing really good and I noticed a lot of new polyps, so I wanted another. I found one that I really liked and I wanted y’alls opinion. It would be a 2 inch frag of this.

C9A47DE8-C78A-45B2-9468-1B8C6E2BAF54.png

Tamberav

Looks like a frag if a wild one. I would pass unless it is cheap.

What you need to be doing us getting rid of your bryopsis or it will eventually cause problems with your SPS/corals. It can irritate them.

• Like 4

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
On 1/11/2020 at 4:54 AM, Tamberav said:

Looks like a frag if a wild one. I would pass unless it is cheap.

What you need to be doing us getting rid of your bryopsis or it will eventually cause problems with your SPS/corals. It can irritate them.

That’s what I’m working on. I just ordered some aptasia X for the aptasia, and I ordered 7 emerald crabs to see if I can get them to work. Your right tho, the bryopsis is finally starting to upset my acro, the bryopsis is sticking to its tips a and it seems to be loosing a tiny bit of flesh on the tips from it. I just keep blowing it off. But it comes back, there isn’t much I can do

I’m not ordering it yet, I was just saying after I get everything fixed

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Just a quick question? I ordered from reef cleaners and my order was shipped out yesterday. It says that it is 2 to 3 day shipping, and I checked my tracking information and it says that it should get here Thursday at 8 pm. Does everything usually survive? That just seems like long shipping? Has anyone else done this? I didn’t get the express shipping, bc I didn’t have the money for it.

Amphrites

Haven't had anything from RC die, I've also had coral shipped two or three day to me without issue. On the whole the inverts and plants Maloney ships do fine in a bag for a few days and his temp-acclimate and then drop method works fine -matter of fact - allot of the corals we buy don't *necessarily* get overnighted to suppliers to begin with.

• Like 3

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
6 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

Haven't had anything from RC die, I've also had coral shipped two or three day to me without issue. On the whole the inverts and plants Maloney ships do fine in a bag for a few days and his temp-acclimate and then drop method works fine -matter of fact - allot of the corals we buy don't *necessarily* get overnighted to suppliers to begin with.

Ok thank you Amphrites. I really appreciate it. I always get myself worried about things not surviving shipping.

• Like 1

Pjanssen

I doubt that the crabs will do much for your Bryopsis, no matter how many you put in there. I suggest a three day total blackout period, followed by as much manual removal as possible. Then I would use a Fluconazol (Reef Flux) treatment following instructions found in several threads on here, or if using Reef Flux follow their instructions. 

• Like 3

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
15 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

I doubt that the crabs will do much for your Bryopsis, no matter how many you put in there. I suggest a three day total blackout period, followed by as much manual removal as possible. Then I would use a Fluconazol (Reef Flux) treatment following instructions found in several threads on here, or if using Reef Flux follow their instructions. 

Would that kill my corals? I feel like my sps would definitely not be able to make it.

BearTheSquare
11 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Would that kill my corals? I feel like my sps would definitely not be able to make it.

Reef Flux didn’t harm my SPS which consists of one monti cap, one pocillopora, and one acro. However, definitely take into account the water displacement from rocks, sand, equipment, etc. for the correct dosage.

For example, my tank is ten gallons but with rock and equipment it is only around 7-8. I dosed about 3/4 of the 200mg capsule.

• Like 2

Pjanssen
34 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

None of my corals suffered from the treatment, and started thriving a bit more after. There are multiple threads on here and R2R on the effectiveness and safety of the treatment. Fluconazole is the medicine, which is actually a prescription  fungicide for people. But you can get it for pets online at https://www.payless-petproducts.com/fluconazole200.html. Also because of it's popularity among reefers, there is now a company that makes it specifically for Bryopsis https://www.marinedepot.com/flux-rx-bryopsis-and-green-hair-algae-treatment-blue-life-usa. The one area that may suffer from the treatment would be Macro algae. If you have any Chaeto or other macros in your tank I would recommend removing them fist.

• Like 3

Amphrites

Oddly enough my bryopsis problem vanished when I brought my nutrients up, granted it also may have literally stripped and eaten by some pretty aggressive dinos... bryopsis is one of those algaes known to simply not care what the nutrient levels are in a tank, if it gets established it tends to stick around - until it doesn't for one reason or another lol...

Diflucan can work, I hate that people use it in their systems as it's an extremely-important medicine which is rapidly being adapted-to by thousands of different fungi and bacteria, but... what can you do...

• Like 4

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I actually used fluconazole about a year ago on my tank because I was told that it would eliminate ich, the product sadly did not work for ich.

• Confused 1

NoOneLikesADryTang

I hope you learned from that, to not trust everything you're told and to do your own research on issues that you're having. 

• Like 1

jservedio

You should hold off on more acros until you've got the problems under control - while the treatments themselves likely aren't going to kill your acros, it's going to stress them. Stressed acros don't grow, take a while to recover, and sometimes die. Wild caught acros almost always tend to die when stressed. Big fresh cut frags or "mini-colonies" from local reefers is the way to go. Never buy a hacked up maricultured or wild piece - they just don't do as well entirely ignoring the ethical argument.

Consider these two scenarios:

1. Buy acro now, spend 3 months getting problems under control, 9 months of stability for a total of 1 year.

2. Don't buy acro, spend 3 months getting problem under control, sit for 3 more months letting things stabilize further, buy acro and have it grow for 6 months in stability

If you go with scenario two, you will end up with a bigger, happier acro at the end of your one year, even with 50% less time in your tank.

Want Visual Proof? I have two colonies of WWC Yellow Tips in my tank - same exact coral, about the same sized frags when I got them. One I've had for a year and another I've had for over 2 years. The one I've had for two years is considerably smaller because it went through the tail end of treating Chrysophytes, had a tiny bit of STN, and lost a lot of color. It took a long time to recover and start growing fast again. Sorry the glass is insanely dirty, but I don't feel like cleaning it.

Two Years of Growth from 1.5" single branch:

20200115_155634.thumb.jpg.129e76110240a90210c4ec38af04a8a9.jpg

Just 10 months of growth from a 1.5" single branch:

20200115_155649.thumb.jpg.20993e4ea0906fdcc42f244dbd86b4ed.jpg

• Like 6