Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

29 gallon: R.E.E.F Tank

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
36 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

I just remove them with a tweezers, even if some pop, they don't always have spores inside that spread so its best to remove them regardless. 

I’ll just take the acan frag out of the water and I’ll use tweezers to get the bubble algae off out of the tank.

Serious changes would have to be made to the entire structure and priority of Indonesian governing-bodies. They don't have the funding or desire to be able to properly-enforce the conservation-efforts and regulation/aquaculture being attempted in australia. Individuals are still pirating corals and fish via damaging and unsustainable practices even with the ban thinking "It's just me I can't cause any harm" and the reefs are still in awful condition, this is only made worse by literal dumping of waste, overfishing, and wanton-destruction going on from dozens of industries... In a world where people were better they might not have needed to be closed in the first place, in our world closing has helped, but nowhere near as much as it "should" have.

• Like 3

You know what could be a good compromise? A brief opening, supervised, to pick some of the aquacultured corals, but only to get them to propagators. Aquaculturing companies that will grow those corals out and frag them instead of selling them all immediately. It increases the supply to aquarists, but would involve few enough specimens that, even if some were wild-collected, the one-time opening shouldn't hurt anything. 

• Like 3

The people who mariculture these corals also help replant the reefs which isn't happening. 

I would assume the reefs are screwed anyways whether it's warming or overfishing.. Etc. 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
4 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

The people who mariculture these corals also help replant the reefs which isn't happening. 

I would assume the reefs are screwed anyways whether it's warming or overfishing.. Etc. 

Yea, that’s the only problem with these bans. The reefs are already going downhill. Ocean acidification can’t really be stopped and it has a big impact on the corals in the reefs. 

2 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Eh, re-colonization efforts are hit-and-miss, but hardly not happening - on top of that many reefs are moving deeper where temperature is a major-factor, unfortunately not an option for many of the corals we know and love and also extremely-topical. It's a horridly-complicated-mess people aren't likely to be able to solve, there's just too much going on; from nutrient loading, to disease, to changing environmental-factors...  I don't blame them for wanting to shift focus to reclamation.

1 hour ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Yea, that’s the only problem with these bans. The reefs are already going downhill. Ocean acidification can’t really be stopped and it has a big impact on the corals in the reefs. 

Not exactly the case, though in that same vein acidification is actually FAR-WORSE than most are aware of, few-folks factor-in or are aware of the basic-nature of carst-limestone-based topography's and a fair amount of the seafloor around the world (especially wetlands). Unfortunately these days there's little-point in being aware of it as most of the surface-area has essentially-been liquefied and otherwise spent in what was essentially a massive dose of PH-buffer (as things got more acidic it would dissolve more and help slow runaway PH).

Throwing your hands-up in vicarious-defeatism or learned-helplessness in favor of what a small-subset of hobbyists desire probably isn't the most advisable or tenable solution however... People being shortsighted and acting in their own near-term interest is the problem, not the solution I'm afraid haha.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

Eh, re-colonization efforts are hit-and-miss, but hardly not happening - on top of that many reefs are moving deeper where temperature is a major-factor, unfortunately not an option for many of the corals we know and love and also extremely-topical. It's a horridly-complicated-mess people aren't likely to be able to solve, there's just too much going on; from nutrient loading, to disease, to changing environmental-factors...  I don't blame them for wanting to shift focus to reclamation.

Not exactly the case, though in that same vein acidification is actually FAR-WORSE than most are aware of, few-folks factor-in or are aware of the basic-nature of carst-limestone-based topography's and a fair amount of the seafloor around the world (especially wetlands). Unfortunately these days there's little-point in being aware of it as most of the surface-area has essentially-been liquefied and otherwise spent in what was essentially a massive dose of PH-buffer (as things got more acidic it would dissolve more and help slow runaway PH).

Throwing your hands-up in vicarious-defeatism or learned-helplessness in favor of what a small-subset of hobbyists desire probably isn't the most advisable or tenable solution however... People being shortsighted and acting in their own near-term interest is the problem, not the solution I'm afraid haha.

What i meant by that was specifically the mariculture places had their own efforts to recolonize but they now don't have money coming in since nothing is going out. 

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
35 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

Are you a marine biologist, because everything you say sounds extremely scientific and smart😂

38 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

What i meant by that was specifically the mariculture places had their own efforts to recolonize but they now don't have money coming in since nothing is going out. 

Ah yeah, that does hurt efforts when you don't have a robust federal source for funding, my bad there... 

19 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Are you a marine biologist, because everything you say sounds extremely scientific and smart😂

Lol... Glad I'm convincing, I was training to be an environmental engineer before I fell ill, but most of what I talk about is fairly-accessible stuff most people can look-up and read about if they know where to find the information ^_^

• Like 3
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

The package is almost there. I’m in school right now, but I have someone who is going to be there to pick it up. It will stay in a room temperature house till about 3:20 when I get home. Then it goes into the tank.

AE78605E-C0E8-41BA-A5D5-1058A6EDF6DB.jpeg

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
1 hour ago, Tamberav said:

Hopefully everything is okay... Most places have a 2 hour doa window. Not sure about the place you ordered from. 

I’ve done the same exact thing for every online purchase and everything has always made it ok. Nothing has ever not survived. Actually, there was one thing and it was a squat lobster from LiveAquaria. The LiveAquaria staff told me that it most likely died in transit, bc everything else survived.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

All the corals have been in the tank since 3:30, and everything looks amazing!!!! My tank actually looks like it’s getting filled up now!!! The torches are kinda angry at me right now, but they seem fine. The acro looks great besides a little bit of flesh that is gone below one of the branches. The Duncan is also a little angry at me. I did not get the hairy mushroom and just got the Duncan instead. I don’t even have very much room on my sand bed anymore😂

The monti spongodes also looks amazing!! Super bright. And of course the bounce mushroom is awesome. I sadly did not get a very big bounce mushroom, but he texted me and told me that instead of a bigger one, he gave me one with more bounces and bigger bounces. 

• Like 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I highly recommend ordering from these guys. They are extremely helpful and their prices can’t be beat. Here’s the packaging for the corals also if you would want to know that. They triple bag all of the corals and it’s a really thick bag. It was a struggle to get it open

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I literally just got rid of all the bubble algae in my tank and I end up finding 2 more algae’s that I have no idea what they are. Could anyone help me here? The green one reminds me of sea lettuce and it’s only growing in a very high par level for some reason. It’s not growing towards the bottom of the tank.

FA4891F6-AF99-4AE7-A9C2-7E23BFFD1837.jpeg

6746CEE0-4A66-46F8-B7AA-26B3A478EC16.jpeg

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
30 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

isnt it too skinny to be a shark tooth? looks weird whatever it is.

that gold tip torch looks damaged, skeleton showing, keep an eye on it. 

I picked it up and took it out of the tank. It’s definitely a tooth of some kind. 

• Like 1