Top Shelf Aquatics

29 gallon: R.E.E.F Tank

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

6 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

What about a hawkfish? Idk if that’s an option, but it doesn’t hurt to ask. I have always loved starry blennys, that may be an option 

Do you have any shrimp?

Because depending on the hawkfish, it will most likely eat your shrimp. (And yes, even the small Falco ones will eat shrimp). 

• Like 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
24 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Do you have any shrimp?

Because depending on the hawkfish, it will most likely eat your shrimp. (And yes, even the small Falco ones will eat shrimp). 

I have one very large skunk cleaner shrimp. He’s like 2 and a half inches long. I’m sure he would probably be fine with a hawkfish.  

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Also, my LFS has this small less than one inch long dwarf lion fish for sale, and I know the minimum tank size for one is 30 gallons, but my main concern is do you need a tank dedicated just to a lion fish, or could you put them in with other fish and animals? My LFS has the lion fish in a tank with about 8 tomato clowns. 

5 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I have one very large skunk cleaner shrimp. He’s like 2 and a half inches long. I’m sure he would probably be fine with a hawkfish.  

I'd still worry over the shrimp personally

1 minute ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Also, my LFS has this small less than one inch long dwarf lion fish for sale, and I know the minimum tank size for one is 30 gallons, but my main concern is do you need a tank dedicated just to a lion fish, or could you put them in with other fish and animals? My LFS has the lion fish in a tank with about 8 tomato clowns. 

Do you know what sort of Lionfish it was? Seems to be 50/50 some can keep the lionfish with clowns, blennies etc, the other half they seem to be snacks

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
9 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

I'd still worry over the shrimp personally

Do you know what sort of Lionfish it was? Seems to be 50/50 some can keep the lionfish with clowns, blennies etc, the other half they seem to be snacks

Yea, the lion fish isn’t my first pick for a new addition, don’t wanna worry about it poisoning me. 

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I’m gonna throw out all of my options right now, y’all tell me what you think. A hawkfish, some type of wrasse(I really don’t want a six line tho), a starry blenny, a dwarf lion fish, a angler(I know I probably can’t get an angler, but I just thought I would put it out there), or a bar goby(they are gorgeous and Id love to have one).

Or I’ve always wanted to do this and I think it would be awesome. My friend offered to give me a 3 inch colony of birdsnest for 20 bucks and when I have that, I could get a bonded pair of coral crouched gobys. They are so adorable and I want one, but I don’t have large enough branching colony’s.

24 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Yea, the lion fish isn’t my first pick for a new addition, don’t wanna worry about it poisoning me. 

I had a dwarf lion fish years ago, and I got stung. It hurts, like getting a few bee stings in one spot. My thumb almost doubled in size but the swelling went down in about 2 hrs or so.

• Like 1
  • Wow 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Well, bc no one really told me what I should get out of those choices, I went with the safest route. I got a beautiful bar goby and I’ll have to get some pictures of him later. 

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Get ready to be blown away by some good pictures😁. I decided to pay for this app on my phone to let me take better pictures and it really works, like wow. 

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I also got a Haitian nem the other day and I was a little skeptical, bc I know they aren’t considered reef safe, but this one doesn’t act like any Haitian I’ve ever seen. It looks like one, but I accidentally let it touch my acan when I put it in the tank and it didn’t sting it and both of my clowns are hosting the nem. Liveaquaria says that they normally don’t host things. So far it’s found a place that it likes and hasn’t moved once. 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I also don’t understand my scoly. It used to be just orange and it’s got red streaks on it now. It’s kinda like a war paint scoly, but I’ve never seen a war paint scoly vietnesis(not sure if I spelled that correctly). 

50EC7BFF-9770-4DFE-8649-6CA448A68B3E.jpeg

959170EF-AAC8-4E8F-A216-10750146F205.jpeg

D1F34963-0F1B-44FA-BC8C-7C62E2B7C54A.jpeg

C7457478-14B0-4020-B28C-523529453CEA.jpeg

FACF57BB-DB1D-49B5-8D53-AC7C6723BB2C.jpeg

1EC6CC7F-DB06-4A5A-B54F-0092A00C1F46.jpeg

5F04A2B2-145E-47EF-AA99-0D8A79ECBE1F.jpeg

827F47F5-24B8-45EE-BBEE-678B09073A57.jpeg

6941952D-2ECA-4B00-B22D-3EC0BF54177F.jpeg

72C76057-8223-4749-BCAC-37B8DD6977B6.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

All of these I took yesterday before I bought the good camera app. I caught my peppermint shrimp out and about, it’s a rare occasion.

96686B0F-B1CE-4210-A3A2-175683CCB242.png

DAE9EDCC-BCC7-4F85-89C6-3E0B0CA1F1C4.png

592586D2-ACFC-4499-A711-949279DCA461.png

3EE452F0-3FFB-402C-9135-7EB19E9EBD6B.png

D756EDD9-E1A3-4812-BAD8-0C8A95E9F9BF.png

DBD10C21-6D08-43A8-ABFC-7F43BDC5112F.png

D8F8277D-8923-4DF9-B20D-428F3E2C707C.png

• Like 2
7 hours ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Get ready to be blown away by some good pictures😁. I decided to pay for this app on my phone to let me take better pictures and it really works, like wow. 

Looks good, what was the app if you dont mind me asking? I been trying a couple out that claim to help with water parameters but none so far that improve photos

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
4 hours ago, Ratvan said:

Looks good, what was the app if you dont mind me asking? I been trying a couple out that claim to help with water parameters but none so far that improve photos

Type in Aquarium Camera in the AppStore search bar. It costs 2.99. Well for me at least, it’s probably different in the UK. 

I feel like it was well worth the 2.99😁
I love how it has a setting that is called the gel setting and if you set the color spectrum correctly on it, it really makes the colors pop. You can also using the camera to dial down either the amount of red, blue, or green color coming from your light. 

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Type in Aquarium Camera in the AppStore search bar. It costs 2.99. Well for me at least, it’s probably different in the UK. 

I feel like it was well worth the 2.99😁

Ah I've tried that one before, currently using "Aquarium Note" it has better WB abilities than my camera, also it can identify your water parameters if you take a photo of the vials and the colour chart which is cool. It's currently free which is why i am trying it

• Wow 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
3 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Acro looks like its on its way out 😞

It’s not completely gone yet, I’m not giving up hope. It’s tips are a little burnt, but it still has some polyp extension in the middle of the acro. I’m doing everything I can to keep my water quality stable. I’ve done a total of 2 five gallon water changes this week. One on Sunday and one last night, a total of 10 gallons. My alk has been at 8.0 for the past week and a half. 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
3 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Ah I've tried that one before, currently using "Aquarium Note" it has better WB abilities than my camera, also it can identify your water parameters if you take a photo of the vials and the colour chart which is cool. It's currently free which is why i am trying it

Is it better at taking pictures than the camera I’m using?

• Like 1
Just now, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Is it better at taking pictures than the camera I’m using?

It is in my RSM tank, but I dont run that much blue in the lighting. Going to try it out tonight on the Pico under 100% blue and see how it does

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
Just now, Ratvan said:

It is in my RSM tank, but I dont run that much blue in the lighting. Going to try it out tonight on the Pico under 100% blue and see how it does

Give me an update after you try that👍😁

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Give me an update after you try that👍😁

Will do, here's what it churns out for reading water parameters

Screenshot_20200205_192007_com.dyhwang.aquariumnote.thumb.jpg.d9606e97e33c25bc08b3cd2ea572c9a2.jpg

Take a photo, place A and C onto colour chart, place B onto sample and the top tells you where it is on the chart. So this one is between 0.5 and 1 on the chart. Also automatically saves them under the date of the test

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
5 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Will do, here's what it churns out for reading water parameters

Screenshot_20200205_192007_com.dyhwang.aquariumnote.thumb.jpg.d9606e97e33c25bc08b3cd2ea572c9a2.jpg

Take a photo, place A and C onto colour chart, place B onto sample and the top tells you where it is on the chart. So this one is between 0.5 and 1 on the chart. Also automatically saves them under the date of the test

Hmmm, well it’s seems honestly really nice considering that it’s free. I may have to go ahead and grab that app too😁. Thanks Ratvan!