SaltCritters.com

29 gallon: R.E.E.F Tank

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
2 minutes ago, billygoat said:

I agree. They especially like cracks and crevices where they can wedge their foot into the rock. Mine seems to like being right where the rock meets the sand, with its foot attached to the rock beneath the substrate. They are likely to roam until they find a suitable spot, but once they do they will rarely leave it.

I wish my RFA would get that memo :lol:…. actually it's really just one, he's a moody bitch and doesn't like where he puts himself most of the time. I have 3 others that are perfectly happy where they are.

• Haha 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
13 minutes ago, billygoat said:

I agree. They especially like cracks and crevices where they can wedge their foot into the rock. Mine seems to like being right where the rock meets the sand, with its foot attached to the rock beneath the substrate. They are likely to roam until they find a suitable spot, but once they do they will rarely leave it.

The rock actually does have cracks in crevices, quite a lot actually. It’s just hard to see anything from pictures 

• Like 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
1 hour ago, Tired said:

They like bigger crevices, enough to cram a cubic inch or so of foot into.

There’s some big crevices on the flat rock, you just can’t see them

• Like 1
NoOneLikesADryTang

If it's got some places, it might settle down there - but it might also roam your tank for while. 

IF, and I can't stress this enough, you do end up getting a rock flower, please be very careful with your wave maker until you know it's found it's home. I've had them go through an MP, and it isn't pretty. I now have a guard on my tank, but please, please, please learn from my mistake and be very aware of this. 

• Like 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
18 minutes ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

If it's got some places, it might settle down there - but it might also roam your tank for while. 

IF, and I can't stress this enough, you do end up getting a rock flower, please be very careful with your wave maker until you know it's found it's home. I've had them go through an MP, and it isn't pretty. I now have a guard on my tank, but please, please, please learn from my mistake and be very aware of this. 

I have a nem protector, so I should be ok

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Ratvan said:

Yeah some of the St Thomas Mushrooms (Rhodactis Samctithomae) can actually look pretty similar to BTA's 

Really good store, the website is dog shite though as nothing is ever in stock lol

I used to have a few really nice St Thomas shrooms. 

BC399947-7C41-4EA1-A3D6-5D909F4A5B19.thumb.jpeg.dde6d67cda74ee7267edfb8919d69697.jpeg

C091A882-5B03-4877-8F39-417F8D632DCC.thumb.jpeg.cce2d0d3c1d410f8e7f1b6e24785ef2e.jpeg

4048D103-E9F8-4CC0-99C8-D550EAD71A15.thumb.jpeg.3d24e1b9cdd538d011bf643852303857.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Wow 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Close, one is a trachyphyllia, and the other is a scolymia vietenis. I bought the trachy for $50 from a site called phillidelphiaaquatics, not sure if I spelled that right. I got the scoly from lazyscoralsreef. I paid 100 for the scoly. I was told by the people I bought it from that the scoly was a rare scoly, bc it was a vietenis and it’s supposed to develop a purple stripe as it matures, which it’s already beginning to develop the purple stripe. The trachy was only the size of maybe 2 quarters right next to each other and now it’s doubled in size. It has two big mouths right now. The scoly hasn’t grown much. I can tell that it’s gotten a little bigger, bc the skin is flowing over the skeleton, but it hasn’t developed any new mouths.

• Thanks 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I have about 150 to spend this weekend when I go to the LFS. Now to decide what I want. They have coral frags for sale. They start at 10 dollars and they go to 30, depending on how big the frag is and how rare it is. I’m definitely gonna look for a colony of some kind. And a euphyllia too. I also need a peppermint shrimp for a few bucks, to get rid of the aptasia. And I’ll see whatever else they have that I will have to waste my money on😂

10 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Close, one is a trachyphyllia, and the other is a scolymia vietenis. I bought the trachy for $50 from a site called phillidelphiaaquatics, not sure if I spelled that right. I got the scoly from lazyscoralsreef. I paid 100 for the scoly. I was told by the people I bought it from that the scoly was a rare scoly, bc it was a vietenis and it’s supposed to develop a purple stripe as it matures, which it’s already beginning to develop the purple stripe. The trachy was only the size of maybe 2 quarters right next to each other and now it’s doubled in size. It has two big mouths right now. The scoly hasn’t grown much. I can tell that it’s gotten a little bigger, bc the skin is flowing over the skeleton, but it hasn’t developed any new mouths.

Oh that's cool. Both of those are far too highly priced for me, hence going with Lobo's. I also have no idea how big those coins are lmao 

7 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I have about 150 to spend this weekend when I go to the LFS. Now to decide what I want. They have coral frags for sale. They start at 10 dollars and they go to 30, depending on how big the frag is and how rare it is. I’m definitely gonna look for a colony of some kind. And a euphyllia too. I also need a peppermint shrimp for a few bucks, to get rid of the aptasia. And I’ll see whatever else they have that I will have to waste my money on😂

Good luck, cant wait to see what you pick up

• Haha 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
33 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Oh that's cool. Both of those are far too highly priced for me, hence going with Lobo's. I also have no idea how big those coins are lmao 

Good luck, cant wait to see what you pick up

Oh, I totally forgot that you used a different currency, my bad😂. The green trachy wasn’t super expensive. It was only $50, how much would that be for you? You’ve bought corals more expensive than a 50 dollar trachy😂? And thank you, I’m definitely planning on coming home with a large haul😂.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Oh, I totally forgot that you used a different currency, my bad😂. The green trachy wasn’t super expensive. It was only $50, how much would that be for you? You’ve bought corals more expensive than a 50 dollar trachy😂? And thank you, I’m definitely planning on coming home with a large haul😂.

Trachys and Scolys looking at £100 ($120) each here. Lobo's £25 ($32ish). Anything marked "ultra" add an extra £50 ($70)

I have not spend over £20 ($30) on a single item in the tank, yet.

I swapped a tank for my big Hammer but the tank cost me £20...

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
Just now, Ratvan said:

Trachys and Scolys looking at £100 ($120) each here. Lobo's £25 ($32ish). Anything marked "ultra" add an extra £50 ($70)

I have not spend over £20 ($30) on a single item in the tank, yet.

I swapped a tank for my big Hammer but the tank cost me £20...

Wow, I wish it was like that here. I wish I could get a bubble coral like you got for cheap. A single frag of bubble coral here is like 80 bucks, and more depending on the size and color. Hammers are also very expensive here too. Why are lobos so much cheaper? They look very similar compared to trachys and scolys honestly? Lobos are the same price as trachys and scolys in the US😂

• Wow 1
Just now, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Wow, I wish it was like that here. I wish I could get a bubble coral like you got for cheap. A single frag of bubble coral here is like 80 bucks, and more depending on the size and color. Hammers are also very expensive here too. Why are lobos so much cheaper? They look very similar compared to trachys and scolys honestly? Lobos are the same price as trachys and scolys in the US😂

Popularity, lots of people and places are selling "ultra High End" Scolys and Tracys here as they're the flavour of the month (along with Zoas) so people bump up the prices. It means that the less popular corals (most LPS to be honest) stay cheap, when those take off again the prices will change again i am sure

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
2 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Popularity, lots of people and places are selling "ultra High End" Scolys and Tracys here as they're the flavour of the month (along with Zoas) so people bump up the prices. It means that the less popular corals (most LPS to be honest) stay cheap, when those take off again the prices will change again i am sure

You’re honestly really lucky😂

• Thanks 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I got a hammer with at least 6 other baby heads for 10 bucks. Bc it just had a little bit of algae on it and I easily got the algae off. An acan frag with some nice looking acans toward the bottom of it. A really nice looking mushroom baby that they didn’t really know what it was at the store, but they gave it to me for 5. It’s like a metallic green with bumps on the skin. Don’t know what it is exactly till it attaches to the plug and opens up. 2 emerald crabs and they are helping so much. They are both surprisingly devouring the cyano on my rocks. A small peppermint shrimp that I haven’t seen since last night. Want him to eat the aptasia. And for my other tank, I picked up a male red burrowing crab. And for now I just stacked the rocks so he has a little area that he can get out of the water on. 

6A60112E-5B45-4807-B9DC-0A77F52E90C7.jpeg

82537EE0-E146-4637-9378-3835BF98BA0A.jpeg

91D9E8A7-C33D-4B7E-8734-04AFFE730B68.jpeg

543413AC-E542-468F-9768-7CE21D59B4C7.jpeg

0B12C0A4-2316-475C-9948-EC897654273E.jpeg

D9D64C1D-BB43-4438-9023-CA196D95F416.jpeg

26852803-04E9-4DED-9AB6-8E9AE2F2071D.jpeg

9F14E062-03AF-42D3-95E3-827240B138E8.jpeg

• Like 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

The hammer was not happy last night when I took these pictures. I just put him in and took the pictures like 5 minutes after putting him in the tank

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Next time I go to this LFS, I’m making sure I bring a lot of money. They had so many different kinds of amazing corals that I’ve never even seen before. They had corals from Indonesia that they got before the ban was placed on coral farming. They had a really beautiful red Goni for 60 that I was really considering buying, but I only brought 100 with me and there was other stuff there I wanted also. They had a holy grail torch, a really rare bounce mushroom I’ve never seen before. The mushroom was all red and it had red bubbles that looked like they were illuminated with some kinda shine. They had electuses for 200. The bounce was 500. I wanted a torch, but there cheapest torch was 90, and it was a bland brown. The green one I liked was 200. They had some really rare scolys too. They were gorgeous. They also had a huge chalice, it took up a good quarter of the tank. The chalice was multi colored. It had like 6 different colors in it.

• Like 1

I've never heard of a red burrowing crab, but I looked that up, and that's a fiddler crab. Fiddler crabs are only semi-aquatic, they need land, and sand in that land to burrow in. Many of them also die slowly in saltwater, they need brackish. It's not a good animal for a reef aquarium, in short.

1 hour ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Next time I go to this LFS, I’m making sure I bring a lot of money. They had so many different kinds of amazing corals that I’ve never even seen before. They had corals from Indonesia that they got before the ban was placed on coral farming. They had a really beautiful red Goni for 60 that I was really considering buying, but I only brought 100 with me and there was other stuff there I wanted also. They had a holy grail torch, a really rare bounce mushroom I’ve never seen before. The mushroom was all red and it had red bubbles that looked like they were illuminated with some kinda shine. They had electuses for 200. The bounce was 500. I wanted a torch, but there cheapest torch was 90, and it was a bland brown. The green one I liked was 200. They had some really rare scolys too. They were gorgeous. They also had a huge chalice, it took up a good quarter of the tank. The chalice was multi colored. It had like 6 different colors in it.

Take any photo's?

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
1 hour ago, Tired said:

I've never heard of a red burrowing crab, but I looked that up, and that's a fiddler crab. Fiddler crabs are only semi-aquatic, they need land, and sand in that land to burrow in. Many of them also die slowly in saltwater, they need brackish. It's not a good animal for a reef aquarium, in short.

I gave it land. I made a diy island for it. He seems really happy. I believe that this one is full saltwater. I did research before buying him and everything told me that he’s full saltwater, not brackish. 

He was hiding when I tried to take a picture. I’ll get a better picture wine I get home 

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
33 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Take any photo's?

Sadly no, my phone was dead at the time. Next time I go tho, I’ll make sure I take a ton of pictures 

• Like 1