SaltCritters.com

29 gallon: R.E.E.F Tank

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

BearTheSquare

Lemon juice has been working really well for me, not sure if you’ve given it a try or not, but as long as you don’t directly inject the zoanthids they’ve been fine in my tank. 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
39 minutes ago, BearTheSquare said:

Lemon juice has been working really well for me, not sure if you’ve given it a try or not, but as long as you don’t directly inject the zoanthids they’ve been fine in my tank. 

I’ll probably just go the natural peppermint shrimp route

• Like 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
1 hour ago, Ratvan said:

I take it is it in the most hard to reach place in the tank?

Its not the most difficult place in the tank, but it’s annoying, bc I can’t remove the rock, due to other corals being on the rock and some of the aptasia is so small that I can’t inject them with aptasia x and they are mixed in with my zoas. The easiest option would be a peppermint shrimp.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
On 10/11/2019 at 5:07 PM, kimdawg said:

The peppermint shrimp have worked great in my tank and they are fun to watch.

I used to have one, but I got rid of him, due to him eating a pocillopora coral in my tank

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Just some quick pics. Still dealing with cyano again. Doing a crap ton of things to lower my nutrients so it will go away, but nothing seems to be working. Zoas are all still growing very nicely 

AEBBC4EE-2CDB-4E09-91FC-0DA8658CD9E0.jpeg

9CF93841-534C-4E88-9AFD-F4907D669507.jpeg

D72C8606-9BA9-401D-A8D7-4AB59456A1FB.jpeg

8BBE2C55-8BFD-4671-8432-2873379AFA2E.jpeg

93069245-EE9C-4F4D-A3E2-2960FF971FA2.jpeg

EFBBDAA0-B543-4E7A-80D4-ACEEBDB7287E.jpeg

BED96423-D25C-41AD-AFB5-1552E85DB7EC.jpeg

• Like 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Sorry, the final picture didn’t load in for some reason. It’s not the best picture of him, but he doesn’t like getting his picture taken.

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
1 hour ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Just some quick pics. Still dealing with cyano again. Doing a crap ton of things to lower my nutrients so it will go away, but nothing seems to be working. Zoas are all still growing very nicely 

AEBBC4EE-2CDB-4E09-91FC-0DA8658CD9E0.jpeg

9CF93841-534C-4E88-9AFD-F4907D669507.jpeg

D72C8606-9BA9-401D-A8D7-4AB59456A1FB.jpeg

8BBE2C55-8BFD-4671-8432-2873379AFA2E.jpeg

93069245-EE9C-4F4D-A3E2-2960FF971FA2.jpeg

EFBBDAA0-B543-4E7A-80D4-ACEEBDB7287E.jpeg

BED96423-D25C-41AD-AFB5-1552E85DB7EC.jpeg

Thank you, if you look closely on the Deadpool jawbreaker, you can see that it’s finally starting to get some of the purple lines on it. It’s finally starting to get big enough to get those purple splotches.

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

This cyano is getting annoying tho. I believe that I may need a bigger clean up crew, so I’m probably gonna get some other things this week when I stop at my LFS.

• Like 1

I think your hermit is a thinstripe hermit crab. They're native to the Gulf, and get pretty big. I've seen them wild. Hard to tell the exact color, but that's my best guess. 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
49 minutes ago, Tired said:

I think your hermit is a thinstripe hermit crab. They're native to the Gulf, and get pretty big. I've seen them wild. Hard to tell the exact color, but that's my best guess. 

You are 100% correct. He looks exactly like what I searched up. He looks nothing like the zebra striped hermit that he was sold to me as. Should I be worried now? 

BD4D26B8-F156-4460-914C-4CA4E017081D.png

• Like 1

I have a few of them in my tank. They are in with tiny gobies but nothing has dissapearred. I will say they harass other hermit's though. I have thought about banishing them to the sump more than once. They do wonders on algae though.

I do probably feed a lot heavier than you so that probably helps with their behaviors.

• Like 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
4 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

I have a few of them in my tank. They are in with tiny gobies but nothing has dissapearred. I will say they harass other hermit's though. I have thought about banishing them to the sump more than once. They do wonders on algae though.

I do probably feed a lot heavier than you so that probably helps with their behaviors.

Yea, I only feed twice a week

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
46 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

You only feed your fish twice a week?

Yes, but moderately large portions, not small portions everyday. I mean, I feed my anemones almost everyday, but fish I feed twice a week. Is that wrong?

I’m not trying to feed as much, I’m trying to lower nutrients to get rid of cyano. 

19 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Yes, but moderately large portions, not small portions everyday. I mean, I feed my anemones almost everyday, but fish I feed twice a week. Is that wrong?

The clowns and stuff might be okay although its possible it may effect growth and their long term health, not sure..... but a leopard wrasse needs at least daily feedings if not twice a day or would probably de-condition. This fish is much more active and has a higher metabolism. 

Some fish types can not survive on twice a week feedings in a nano. Ideally multiple small feedings a day are better than one large one. It is more natural. 

Every other day would be my minimum and no high metabolism fish. 

Will a fish fed twice a week or fed low quality foods like brine be as disease resistant or as vibrant as a fish fed multiple times with a varied diet? I would think not. 

I hate when I see people cut feedings back to something absurd because they have algae, that is not acceptable for keeping fish imo. Find another way to control algae or have less fish so you have less mouths to feed.

• Like 4

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-02/rs/feature/index.php

In aquaria, fish that naturally feed consistently on small particulate material throughout the day are being forced to exist on bulk feedings once a day or with less frequency. Under such conditions, the animal is going through continuous cycles of near starvation followed by satiation followed by near starvation… This cyclic feeding simply must have a deleterious effect on the fish. Under such situations one could expect lower than normal growth rates, higher stress, increased susceptibility to disease and possibly problems with nitrogen metabolism. During the periods of low food availability the fish would potentially metabolize excessive amounts of protein, resulting in excessive ammonia production. Something similar would be seen with the sessile animals on the rocks of a reef aquarium. Here the food intake is likely intensively periodic with significant periods of non-nutrient input. Growth will also likely be reduced and the animals stressed.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1