EthanPhillyCheesesteak

29 gallon: R.E.E.F Tank

Tired

Yep. "Worm" is an extremely large category, though, so "this is a worm" tells you little more than "this is an invertebrate that's roughly tube-shaped". 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I honestly just have to say that I hate my LFS. They are really trying to overprice everything they have. They also don’t know anything that they at doing. They have a little baby rock flower nem in their tank and they didn’t even know it was in there. It’s actually really pretty. But the problem I have is that I asked them about it and at first they didn’t even know that it was alive and that was an actual thing they could sell, then I wait a day for them to figure out a price and I come back to ask them how much it is, and the owner of the LFS said that the thing I’m calling a rock flower anemone is actually related to leather corals and it’s a leather coral. She also priced it at 80 bucks. I don’t know any leather coral that is the size of your thumbnail that is worth 80 bucks. The leather better have amazing colors and have bounce bubbles on it for 80 bucks. It’s not even a leather! I’m pretty sure I know the difference between a rock flower anemone and a leather coral. And I don’t want to sound mean and try to correct her that she’s wrong, but I did say to her that I know for a fact that’s not a leather coral and it’s a rock flower anemone and she just straight up told me that I was wrong??? 

Sorry for my rant, I was just annoyed 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

It looked like this, exactly, but way smaller. I’m pretty sure I can bet my life that this is a rock flower anemone.

3BE8C5B4-7E7F-48C5-BB80-265C9910E3E8.png

• Like 1

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

The LFS also orders things that they should know for a fact that they can’t keep. They order like 10 nudis at a time and only 1 is still alive. They order corals and almost all of them die because their lighting is horrible. The only coral still alive is one thing of Zoanthids and they just have a small frag rack of like 10 dead coral skeletons that they think are still alive and they are selling them. The other thing that annoys me is that they actually sometimes order stuff that I would like to buy, but the woman who owns the LFS has a total of three 75 gallon tanks and she only uses one to sell stuff. The other 2 tanks have her own fish in them and she doesn’t sell anything in them. And every time she get a nice order of coral in, she takes the best stuff and puts it in her own tanks just to show off, but people can’t buy anything. And of course, her tanks have the best lighting and have good water quality, while the tank that she’s actually trying to sell stuff in she doesn’t put any effort in. She does water changes maybe every 2 months and she lets the water in this tank get so low before actually doing a top off.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

You just don’t understand how frustrating this is😩. I literally tried to get hired at the LFS to help her get things under control, but she doesn’t hire men. She only hires women. Literally all 15 people who work there are women. Idk why she doesn’t hire men.

• Like 1
  • Wow 2

Ratvan
34 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I honestly just have to say that I hate my LFS. They are really trying to overprice everything they have. They also don’t know anything that they at doing. They have a little baby rock flower nem in their tank and they didn’t even know it was in there. It’s actually really pretty. But the problem I have is that I asked them about it and at first they didn’t even know that it was alive and that was an actual thing they could sell, then I wait a day for them to figure out a price and I come back to ask them how much it is, and the owner of the LFS said that the thing I’m calling a rock flower anemone is actually related to leather corals and it’s a leather coral. She also priced it at 80 bucks. I don’t know any leather coral that is the size of your thumbnail that is worth 80 bucks. The leather better have amazing colors and have bounce bubbles on it for 80 bucks. It’s not even a leather! I’m pretty sure I know the difference between a rock flower anemone and a leather coral. And I don’t want to sound mean and try to correct her that she’s wrong, but I did say to her that I know for a fact that’s not a leather coral and it’s a rock flower anemone and she just straight up told me that I was wrong??? 

Sorry for my rant, I was just annoyed 

32 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

It looked like this, exactly, but way smaller. I’m pretty sure I can bet my life that this is a rock flower anemone.

3BE8C5B4-7E7F-48C5-BB80-265C9910E3E8.png

25 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

The LFS also orders things that they should know for a fact that they can’t keep. They order like 10 nudis at a time and only 1 is still alive. They order corals and almost all of them die because their lighting is horrible. The only coral still alive is one thing of Zoanthids and they just have a small frag rack of like 10 dead coral skeletons that they think are still alive and they are selling them. The other thing that annoys me is that they actually sometimes order stuff that I would like to buy, but the woman who owns the LFS has a total of three 75 gallon tanks and she only uses one to sell stuff. The other 2 tanks have her own fish in them and she doesn’t sell anything in them. And every time she get a nice order of coral in, she takes the best stuff and puts it in her own tanks just to show off, but people can’t buy anything. And of course, her tanks have the best lighting and have good water quality, while the tank that she’s actually trying to sell stuff in she doesn’t put any effort in. She does water changes maybe every 2 months and she lets the water in this tank get so low before actually doing a top off.

23 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

You just don’t understand how frustrating this is😩. I literally tried to get hired at the LFS to help her get things under control, but she doesn’t hire men. She only hires women. Literally all 15 people who work there are women. Idk why she doesn’t hire men.

Its always sad to see a LFS go downhill. Especially if it is the only brick n mortar store nearby. A few times my LFS have mislabelled things, thankfully so far has always worked in my favour (like I got a "Dragonscale Betta" for a ridiculously cheap price as it was listed as Female by mistake) 

• Like 2

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
4 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Its always sad to see a LFS go downhill. Especially if it is the only brick n mortar store nearby. A few times my LFS have mislabelled things, thankfully so far has always worked in my favour (like I got a "Dragonscale Betta" for a ridiculously cheap price as it was listed as Female by mistake) 

Wish mine was like that. Mine is the only LFS in the area and if they don’t know what it is that they are pricing, they usually put the price to very expensive. They run a monopoly here

• Like 1

Tired

Your best bet in that case is probably to stop going there, save up, and buy things online instead. 

• Like 4

Ratvan
1 hour ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Wish mine was like that. Mine is the only LFS in the area and if they don’t know what it is that they are pricing, they usually put the price to very expensive. They run a monopoly here

Hmmm I have 4 in driving distance that all keep pretty much the same basic things for the same price. I don't want the things that seem to sell or are popular around here

100% Buying from Reefers and online now, have to say the amount of pests I have received lately has pretty much fallen off as well

• Like 3

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Finally after a month of straight water changes every 3 to 4 days, the cyano is finally completely gone. There’s no more in the entire tank. The tank looks amazing. All corals look great too. Only thing that I’m a little concerned about is that literally both of my nems have decided to move. My long tentacle just moved over a few inches and is now against the rock, and my carpet nem has decided to move over and is now brushing against my zoas. It just seems to be annoying the zoas, bc I’ll see the zoas closed, then they’ll open back up after the nem stops touching them. So the nem is not killing the zoas at least. I also had to move my trachy in fear that the nem may sting him on his path of destruction that he’s trying to take.

• Like 3

Tired

Yep, that's what nems do. 

Did you cut down on the feeding? The goal would be to keep the cyano away when you have some nitrates and are doing fewer water changes, because your corals won't thrive if you're trying to starve something else out.

• Like 1

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
22 minutes ago, Tired said:

Yep, that's what nems do. 

Did you cut down on the feeding? The goal would be to keep the cyano away when you have some nitrates and are doing fewer water changes, because your corals won't thrive if you're trying to starve something else out.

No, I didn’t cut down on feedings. I feed flake food on Tuesdays and fridays, and I feed mysis Wednesdays and Sunday’s 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

And my corals are all really happy, so I still have enough nutrients make them happy 

NaturallyKait

What about your anemones though, did you cut back on feeding them? Really the fish should be fed at least once a day, but if I remember correctly you were over feeding your nems before. 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
45 minutes ago, NaturallyKait said:

What about your anemones though, did you cut back on feeding them? Really the fish should be fed at least once a day, but if I remember correctly you were over feeding your nems before. 

Yea, I switched to feeding my nems every 3 days

• Like 2

Tired

And corals take awhile to starve. They'll look happy for a couple months, then die seemingly out of nowhere.

What are your parameters? Nitrates and phosphates are the ones to look at here.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I’ll test the water tonight when I get home. Idk why you think that my tank doesn’t have enough nutrients. The only thing that I did was get rid of cyano. I still have plenty of green algae on the glass. That still hasn’t stopped growing.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Also, I’m about to put in a order for some corals. It’s gonna be a moderately big order too. Gonna pick up some sps too. Wanted to get all of your opinions tho. How do you like what I picked? Would it be nice in the tank?

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

A pretty nice scoly that I was able to get for moderately cheap. This is not the exact scoly, but it looks very similar to this

1F3ADA9A-DD1C-4271-893C-D0F76E2D957E.png

Tired

If you're doing water changes every day, you very likely don't have many nutrients. Either way, it's best to know. 

What looks nice in your tank will depend on where you put it and what you let it do.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

All of the sps that I would get. A miyagi tort, a monti spongodes, and a Ora tri-color valida. Just small 1 inch frags.

BBD42AB1-B456-476E-92B3-D5751EAE406E.png

97BD082C-73C7-4F53-AF92-A77F873275D9.png

CA24B744-A7BC-47B4-825D-EC4A24CE1EB6.png

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
4 minutes ago, Tired said:

If you're doing water changes every day, you very likely don't have many nutrients. Either way, it's best to know. 

What looks nice in your tank will depend on where you put it and what you let it do.

I wasn’t doing water changes every day, it was like every 4 days. I will test tonight. All of the sps I would put probably on the flat plain of rock in my tank. It gets a lot of light and would look nice. The scoly I would probably put somewhere in the middle next to my trachy.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

The water changes were also only like 10% each time

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I would also get a green head Duncan, probably 2 heads. A tongs gold torch. An Australian neon green tipped torch, and a 24k gold lepto.

954EE096-283A-4957-ABF7-987D373A982F.png

1B050A3E-00E6-4C23-A48D-82D6354D8BE0.png

B9DD3474-9CEC-4885-A5AC-CCCEC0A803CC.png

8BCEF3DD-D39A-4476-A6C8-C14C8432B1F0.png

Tired

What you buy is up to you, but those are all nice corals. 

And, again, you really ought to combine all these posts into one. If you have an afterthought 1 or 2 minutes after making a post, edit that post to include it, otherwise you're going to have an even longer thread full of very short posts. It makes it hard to read.