SaltCritters.com

29 gallon: R.E.E.F Tank

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
9 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Great photos... What the heck is Jerry doing? Lol chilling on that coral?

Yea, I found him one time trying to steal a piece of food from my trachy and he got too close and the trachy was trying to eat him. I pulled him out tho. But a picture was definitely needed. It was kinda ironic really😂

• Haha 2
  • Wow 1
6 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Yea, I found him one time trying to steal a piece of food from my trachy and he got too close and the trachy was trying to eat him. I pulled him out tho. But a picture was definitely needed. It was kinda ironic really😂

Jerry is a legend

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Right now, I think he scurried to the back of the tank and is hiding under a rock. I fed him about two days ago when he was closer to the front of the tank. I’ll try to feed him again tonight and hopefully get some pictures. He still hasn’t even shed once since I’ve gotten him. Idk why🤷‍♂️

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I’m just happy that my tank is now good enough to be able to take care of hammer corals and acans and grow other corals. I remember my first hammer that WVReefer gave to me. It didn’t survive, but this hammer is looking amazing. I must be doing something right now. The same was with my acans. My acans used to always polyp bale, but now I must’ve done something, bc now they are growing and thriving. I was so afraid of getting a new hammer, but I’m glad I did, bc it’s already one of my favorites. Right now tho, all the heads are small. The biggest head is about the size of a quarter, or if your ratvan and don’t know what a quarter is, it’s the size of a bottle cap. I just hope it grows bigger. It’s just so small.

• Like 1

I am sure Jerry doesn't miss me, I was kind of a bitch to him. Now he is getting fed from a silver spoon.

I did a quick google and I guess crabs molt less frequently than shrimp, some people reported emerald crabs going months or long enough sponges started growing on the crabs. So maybe it is normal or maybe it takes longer when they have to regrow legs. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
42 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

I am sure Jerry doesn't miss me, I was kind of a bitch to him. Now he is getting fed from a silver spoon.

I did a quick google and I guess crabs molt less frequently than shrimp, some people reported emerald crabs going months or long enough sponges started growing on the crabs. So maybe it is normal or maybe it takes longer when they have to regrow legs. 

Yea maybe your right. I just can’t wait till I’m able to see him fully mobile and scurrying all over the place😂

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I was just wondering why my mushrooms won’t eat? I tried to feed them mysis last night and they didn’t eat any of it that I know of. They are moderately big. My biggest one is almost 3 inches across, and my jawbreaker is like 2 and a half? Just wondering why they won’t take anything 

• Like 1

They might not have realized it was there. It's good to blow some 'juice' from thawing your food over your corals first, to get their attention and alert them to food. Keep in mind, they don't have brains.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
18 minutes ago, Tired said:

They might not have realized it was there. It's good to blow some 'juice' from thawing your food over your corals first, to get their attention and alert them to food. Keep in mind, they don't have brains.

Oh thank you, I actually didn’t even realize that. My fish also get on my nerves when I try to feed my corals. I can’t really place a cup over the coral either to keep it from the fish bc the coral is on the rock. How exactly do mushroom corals eat? Do they use something to grab the food and put it in its mouth?

They pretty much just curl up around the food like a flat anemone. I suspect they might have some stickiness to them, since some can catch mobile animals, but I've never tested it. You may want to shut off your flow and just set food directly on top of them. Give them a little while, most of them aren't fast at curling up.

You may have some luck distracting your fish with food elsewhere, especially if you can tie food onto a thread somehow so they have to work at it. Maybe give them a half-inch chunk of frozen shrimp to attack. 

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
10 minutes ago, Tired said:

They pretty much just curl up around the food like a flat anemone. I suspect they might have some stickiness to them, since some can catch mobile animals, but I've never tested it. You may want to shut off your flow and just set food directly on top of them. Give them a little while, most of them aren't fast at curling up.

You may have some luck distracting your fish with food elsewhere, especially if you can tie food onto a thread somehow so they have to work at it. Maybe give them a half-inch chunk of frozen shrimp to attack. 

Ok, I think I’ll give that a try, thank you

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Also, I’m quite sad about something that was my fault. That red burrowing crab that I put in my other tank may have died, I’m not totally sure. I saw him yesterday morning on the Ramp that I made him out of the water just chilling, but when I came back home, I tried to find him bc I didn’t know where he was. So after lifting up a rock, I found a bunch of little red crab legs and pieces of crab shells. I know he didn’t die of natural causes, so I’m wondering if the other crab in the tank attacked him. I never found an actual body of the crab, just small pieces of red shell. So I’m wondering if it could’ve just been a molt and he’s just hiding from me. Bc I lifted every rock and I can’t seem to find him

If you put a small crab in with a large crab, either it's dead or will be soon. Crabs don't tend to play nice, especially not bulky opportunistic ones like you have. 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
48 minutes ago, Tired said:

If you put a small crab in with a large crab, either it's dead or will be soon. Crabs don't tend to play nice, especially not bulky opportunistic ones like you have. 

They were actually around the same size. It was a make burrowing crab. He was pretty bulky

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
16 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Crabs fight regardless....they also crawl out.

I made sure he couldn’t crawl out. I put a lid over the place that I made out of the water for him.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Hey y’all, I just had a question. I found a squamous a clam that I do like quite a bit, but I was wondering if it would be a good idea? I’ve done my research on these clams and I know that they can grow big. Everything in my tank has been growing and doing really good for the past 2 months. But one of my questions were about if should I place it on the sand bed, or could I put it on the rocks? 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I read that Squamosa clams are a good addition for beginner aquarists, and I’m not a beginner aquarist and my water chemistry has been stable for a while

I don't know that I'd call them good for beginners. They're picky about water conditions, they need very bright lights, and a number of things will eat them. 

Also, you have cyano and pest algae. Get those under control first, and make sure your parameters are good. A population of cyano is a sign of an unbalanced tank, which probably wouldn't support a clam very well.

And you may want to consider getting all your thoughts out in one post, or editing prior posts, instead of making multiple tiny ones a few minutes apart. It'll fill your thread up real fast if you keep doing that.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
20 minutes ago, Tired said:

I don't know that I'd call them good for beginners. They're picky about water conditions, they need very bright lights, and a number of things will eat them. 

Also, you have cyano and pest algae. Get those under control first, and make sure your parameters are good. A population of cyano is a sign of an unbalanced tank, which probably wouldn't support a clam very well.

And you may want to consider getting all your thoughts out in one post, or editing prior posts, instead of making multiple tiny ones a few minutes apart. It'll fill your thread up real fast if you keep doing that.

I didn’t even think that you could fill your thread up completely? I thought that it was endless? 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I read that Squamosa clams are a good addition for beginner aquarists, and I’m not a beginner aquarist and my water chemistry has been stable for a while

No clam is good for a beginner. You would need to be comfortable with dosing/testing and replacing alk/ca/mg ect... I would suggest an automatic doser. 

This isn't something you have learned how to do yet. 

Squamosa's grow very fast. It is not appropriate for a 29g. 

Also keep in mind your tank is 29g... it may be easier in someones 90g but your tank is 29g. These clams can put on INCHES in one year. They weight A LOT...

• Like 4
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
22 hours ago, Tamberav said:

No clam is good for a beginner. You would need to be comfortable with dosing/testing and replacing alk/ca/mg ect... I would suggest an automatic doser. 

This isn't something you have learned how to do yet. 

Squamosa's grow very fast. It is not appropriate for a 29g. 

Also keep in mind your tank is 29g... it may be easier in someones 90g but your tank is 29g. These clams can put on INCHES in one year. They weight A LOT...

What about a maxima clam? One of the mini ones? Could I do that? I always loved the colors on the maxima clams

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

This quote came straight from orafarm.com. And they do say that the Squamosa clams are a beginner clam. And exceptionally easy to take care of.

“Tridacna squamosa is a medium size Tridacna clam that is exceptionally easy to keep in aquariums. The mantle color pattern is easily distinguished form other species. It is golden brown with gold and black spots and sometimes has a green or blue border.

Another characteristic are the large scutes or plates on the shell. They are native to the Indo-Pacific coral reefs, and are found in deeper waters of 50-65 feet.

They prefer a sand bottom instead of rocky surfaces, and do not need as much light as Tridacna maxima in the aquarium. It is an excellent “beginner” clam species.”