Coral Vue Hydros

29 gallon: R.E.E.F Tank

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I even bought a new wavemaker too, to increase the flow in the tank to try to get rid of it, but that almost seemed to make it worse. This wavemaker also came with a nem protector.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I even bought a new wavemaker too, to increase the flow in the tank to try to get rid of it, but that almost seemed to make it worse. This wavemaker also came with a nem protector.

What are you phosphates running at? I treated my tank for GHA the other day and the cyano started to go away completely. Seemed to me at least that they were connected. And that I probably still over feed the tank a bit too much. So I guess if the creatures leave any leftovers, at all it could be adding to your cyano problem.

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
46 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

What are you phosphates running at? I treated my tank for GHA the other day and the cyano started to go away completely. Seemed to me at least that they were connected. And that I probably still over feed the tank a bit too much. So I guess if the creatures leave any leftovers, at all it could be adding to your cyano problem.

Well I have zero gha. It’s just cyano. I’ll test for phosphates later tonight 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Question, do you guys think that my tank is mature enough to care for a milli? I found one that I just love and it’s not very expensive either. Do you think that my water is stable enough to take care of one? All my corals seem to be doing really good lately. 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I also realized the problem with my carpet nem. He was turning white bc for some reason my lights blue channel was at 30% instead of 40% for some reason and my rainbow color spectrum was at 10% instead of 20%. I don’t know why they were like that, but hopefully he’ll start to get his colors back

• Like 1
3 hours ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Do you think that my water is stable enough to take care of one?

Hard to guess, do you think you're water is stable enough? Do you have any recording of parameters?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Anyone about the milli question?

I'll chime in. No, you are not ready yet. It's not a question of if your tank is/is not mature enough for SPS. You have to be prepared for SPS. Looking across this thread there are indications of instability. Water parameters fluctuating, unknown water parameters, tank instability, accidental issues (1/3 of your tank spilled on the floor) etc. These items are in your control and have nothing to do with the biology of the tank itself.

I'll borrow a practice from work and try to apply it here, which centers around change. You want to add SPS to your tank, which means you want to make a change and are aware there are practices and principles needed to grow SPS. Desire is the next phase, which you want SPS but have questions if the tank is ready for it. Next is knowledge, does Ethan have the knowledge to grow SPS? Has Ethan researched what's required to grow SPS, specifically Millepora? Can Ethan reasonably demonstrate that the tank is mature, maintaining good biology, not fluctuating, as well as managing to solid water testing practices, maintaining stability in parameters? After knowledge is ability, meaning that Ethan has a solid understanding of everything required, is willing and committed financially and discipline to do everything required to maintain SPS? Last is reinforcement, which you would receive from your local reefers, LFS, and posting here on the forum. Posting photos, being honest in successes and failures. The community will respond favorably and help reinforce these efforts. Look at all the positive comments received when your tank got on track, was clean, corals growing, no losses, etc? And then compare that to when there were accidents, instability, jumping to conclusions without testing, adding livestock with no research. 

Sorry if I sound negative, I'm trying to be honest and help. Everyone has an opinion and we will be all over the place, saying yes, no, do more research, etc. My opinion is based on how I manage my tank, the research I do, the effort I place into maintaining the best tank I can with the resources I have. I don't jump to conclusions, I don't rush to a forum and ask people what's wrong with my tank before performing tests, charting ups and downs, knowing my parameters without guessing, etc.

Of course you could chuck this all into the trash and buy that Mille. Either way the decision is still yours 🙂

• Like 5
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Ok, I won’t get the milli. My tank is pretty stable tho. I haven’t had many problems for a while. The last was cyano that came back. All my corals are doing really good and growing nicely. I’ll test my water again tonight. I tested last week, and everything was normal. All my params were stable and where they are supposed to be. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 5.0 nitrates. I didn’t test phosphates tho, I’ll test that tonight. I need to get a mag test kit too. I have the Red Sea mag test kit, but every time I test, I’m afraid I’m doing it wrong. It’s a little complicated.

• Like 2

Do you have lots of coralline algae growing all over? That's generally a sign easier SPS may do okay.

But I would agree you are not ready for a milli. If you dip your toes into SPS ..you should be trying something like a Digi or monti.  

Do you have a Alk and Ca test kit?

• Like 4
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
19 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Do you have lots of coralline algae growing all over? That's generally a sign easier SPS may do okay.

But I would agree you are not ready for a milli. If you dip your toes into SPS ..you should be trying something like a Digi or monti.  

Do you have a Alk and Ca test kit?

I have both. They are both the Red Sea test kits, so I’m gonna try to test. Hopefully it will come out right. 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I actually do have coralline algae growing my tank. It’s on the corners of the big flat piece of live rock that I have and it’s starting to grow on the back wall of my glass. 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Ok so quick question. I have these green hairs in my tank and it looks like a type of macro algae, but I just read something and they said that they had bryopsis and they described it looking like this. Hopefully it’s just macro algae. Is bryopsis bad?

2AA47B0A-567F-4D0B-8E84-D060BB7AAD8C.jpeg

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Well crap, bc it’s not just this little piece. This was just growing on my sand bed and I removed it and put it in my pest tank. But there is a huge clump of it growing on the side of my trachys skeleton and all over my rocks. It hasn’t bothered anything, but there’s a lot of it.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Also, quick question. If I order something from saltybottomreefcompany, which shipping should I get? What’s the 2nd day air?

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
1 hour ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

Second day sir means two days shipping. If you’re ordering livestock, that’s a pretty big risk. 

Ok thanks, I’ll do the next day air then

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
35 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

What you order?

Nothing as of right now, but I’m probably gonna order the calico crab for my other tank and maybe some more live rock and macro algae. Probably some more things for my clean up crew also.

Does anyone else know if that was bryopsis? 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Nothing as of right now, but I’m probably gonna order the calico crab for my other tank and maybe some more live rock and macro algae. Probably some more things for my clean up crew also.

Does anyone else know if that was bryopsis? 

I'm no expert but it certainly looks like it to me

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

The reason I don’t know if it’s bryopsis, is bc my urchin is eating the stuff. Yesterday I found him on a big patch of it and he was eating all of it.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

The reason I don’t know if it’s bryopsis, is bc my urchin is eating the stuff. Yesterday I found him on a big patch of it and he was eating all of it.

Is it a Tuxedo Urchin? I've heard that sea Hares eat it