Pod Your Reef

Living Room Nano Peninsula

YHSublime

11 hours ago, 748S911 said:

@YHSublime I love your corals and tank, next time you have some frags available let me know.  

You got it, I see we're neighbors! 

9 hours ago, kimdawg said:

Beautiful tank, I think your my reef hero.

Thank you so much! Those are big shoes to fill!

• Like 1
Don't you hate it when things don't run smoothly? Luckily I'm a huge fan of the KISS method, so there aren't a lot of places for things to go wrong. I do regular maintenance on my tank/equipment, and I've learned that it's wise to have a backup of everything JIC! 

Yesterday, I noticed that my MP10QD was throwing up some weird lights and wasn't spinning. I searched all online, and couldn't find much, so I decided to call them. The light flashes from Green, to White, to Red. I was told, after some troubleshooting, it was deemed a stall error and it had to be sent in. I don't have the receipt, so I'm nervous about paying to send it in and then getting stuck with another bill. Luckily, I have an old original MP10 that I was able to put up and get my SPS back to their expected living conditions! 

Just in case, I have battery backups, backup lights, and backup pumps as well. I also find it strange when people spend a small fortune on the corals and fish, and don't have backup plans which is essentially reef insurance!
  • Like 6
On 4/24/2019 at 5:57 PM, YHSublime said:
Just in case, I have battery backups, backup lights, and backup pumps as well. I also find it strange when people spend a small fortune on the corals and fish, and don't have backup plans which is essentially reef insurance!

This !!! I have been guilty in the past but learned quick to have at least a back up of everything to keep things going. Thankfully you had another back up pump. 

• Like 1

Can someone explain to me how i've missed this thread? What a nice tank you've got there. Just read through the whole thread. Did you ever change the scape around a lot! lol

Excited to see how the tank continues to evolve. Great job! 

• Like 2
On 4/24/2019 at 2:57 PM, YHSublime said:

A battery backup in particular seems like a super simple and easy way to save yourself the headache of worrying about your multi-thousand-dollar investment every time the weather gets hot and the power starts to flicker. I think it might be time for me to get one as well! Summer is almost here! 😅

Outstanding aquarium, by the way. It's breathtakingly beautiful. If i had this in my house I would never do anything but look at it. I'd probably lose my job and end up on the street.

• Like 1
On 4/26/2019 at 12:28 PM, medinar83 said:

Awesome shots! love everything about it 

Thanks for stopping on by to check it out, I appreciate the kind words!

On 4/26/2019 at 5:55 PM, Reefkid88 said:

This !!! I have been guilty in the past but learned quick to have at least a back up of everything to keep things going. Thankfully you had another back up pump. 

You said it! I've got a deep cell cycle marine battery that can power a 2000amp inverter for about 3 days straight with all my gear running. In addition, I have an ecotech battery backup hooked up to both the MP-10's that should get me about 3 days as well. If everything goes to hell, I have a battery air pumped hooked up to two air stones. I better knock on wood and test everything now, all this talking about it, something's bound to happen. 

On 4/26/2019 at 6:21 PM, Sharbuckle said:

Can someone explain to me how i've missed this thread? What a nice tank you've got there. Just read through the whole thread. Did you ever change the scape around a lot! lol

Excited to see how the tank continues to evolve. Great job! 

I don't know how you've missed it, but my sentiments are better late than never, glad to have you on board! Thank you very much for the kind words. Although aspects of the scape have changed around a bit, the main rock has remained, structurally, the same. Since my last update, I have attending a local club meeting, and have added 15 new varieties of corals! I wouldn't have been able to do that without some redeveloping 😉 I see you also have a peninsula, I'll be diving into your build thread! 

On 4/26/2019 at 10:38 PM, billygoat said:

A battery backup in particular seems like a super simple and easy way to save yourself the headache of worrying about your multi-thousand-dollar investment every time the weather gets hot and the power starts to flicker. I think it might be time for me to get one as well! Summer is almost here! 😅

Outstanding aquarium, by the way. It's breathtakingly beautiful. If i had this in my house I would never do anything but look at it. I'd probably lose my job and end up on the street.

For about $150 you can get yourself a pretty powerful inverter, a deep cell marine battery, and a trolling battery case to mount the inverter to. The only downside to this style of backup is somebody has to be physically be here in order to set it up. The plus side is I work from home, but for the same reason as you had to put it in a different room other than my office! I'm unfortunately in a condo, so I can't have a generator, or else that would be the first investment I would make. In terms of heat, I've got several Yeti ice packs in the freezer that are normally reserved for beer cooling, but would do a bang up job if needed for the tank! Thanks for the kind words and for tagging along! 

YHSublime

This is Perculese. A giant clownfish that I added to my frag tank. Just had frozen for the first time today, well, taken to it for the first time. Perculese has been eating the copious pods that were running around in there, and is finally hungry I guess. It’s name is a combo of percula and Hercules, because it is a giant clownfish. 

813E67C4-C7A3-4A11-8E5A-B7F5DF2F82BE.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
YHSublime
3 hours ago, vlangel said:

Excellent name and very fitting!

I'm glad this wasn't wasted, I've been patting myself on the back for like a week thinking I'm very clever, lol.  

3 hours ago, TomsReef23 said:

Really love this build and the way you have the Penisula setup, corals look very happy as well! congrats

Thanks for the kind words! I'm continuing to add and subtract, but most of all, enjoy!

YHSublime

No pictures on this one, so what's the point, right?! 

I have some new additions I'm trying to keep track of. I don't know how updated I've been with what goes in and out, but I'm 30+ acros and 30+ zoanthids, which is crazy considering it's all in 22 gallons. I guess it's easy to make look full! 

Zoas:

Magicians

Unknowns

Candy Apple Reds (2 variations, one looks like Bowsers to me)

Jungle Juice

Bow Tie Blasters

ASD leprichauns 

Red Hornets

WWC Illuminatis

Fang Bangers 

Acro:

Reefers Cove Poison Envy

Bali Shortcake 

Montis:

TSA Minions

JF Beach Bum

WWC Kung Pow

Other SPS:

Darth Maul Porites 

• Haha 1
YHSublime
8 hours ago, Dally said:

Uh oh, that Kung Pow Monti...

I might need a piece when it comes time to frag 😉 

While they are all beautiful, the TSA Minions is by far the show stopper. 

I am anxious to cover up the floor (I don't know why, but it's part of the addiction I guess) so I figure these encrusting montis will be a hot addition. I have also loaded the floor up with various zoanthids, so it will be a race for what decided to grow the fastest. I have cleared up my frag racks/frag tank to stop holding additional corals, and prepare for more overflow, my original intention.

What needs to happen is some additional flow in my fuge. I went from not being able to grow cheato and macros, to having quite the explosion of GHA, Cheato, and Dragons Breath, most of them from clippings I thought were dead, rooting to the plastic bottom of my sump. A clump of cheato has risen to the top of the fuge, and has grown a mat of hair algae across the top, in a way I guess it's a surface turf scrubber? I've also figured out that if I supply additional calk/alk/mag, the tank will consume and level pretty quickly. Ie. I went from dosing 5ml of each ESV solution daily to 20ml daily, while keeping my dKH at 8 or so. For a few days it may have raised a little higher, but eventually leveled back. 

Friday, and everything's alright! 

32876254117_aac73101ff.jpg

A rare sighting of SC Orange Passion, CB Malificent, and RR Acid Trip in a trifecta

32876254567_fe8273824b.jpg

• Like 4
  • Wow 6
Just now, YHSublime said:

It's easy to fill up when you've got a teeny tank!

LOL.  That's why I love nanos!  My 3g pico should be easy peasy to fully stock.

Aside from that, you do have some amazing growth in there.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Tigahboy said:

Yeah, I started following ya' on Insta as well, I'm enjoying the Dragons Breath volcano in the kiddie tank, lol. 

Things are finally starting to kick in, 3 more months this tank will hit its 2 year mark. Everything has started from frags, sans 1 colony I just picked up that's on the floor bed now. My consumption has tripled over the past 8 months, so I guess that means things are growing, just means I need to keep paying attention and adjusting! 

Half the journey is waiting for it to fill in and fussing with it, but I sometimes wish it was already packed with bonsai'd little colonies, who knows if it will ever get there!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Tigahboy said:

Good to see you over here @intocoralnfish on IG 

This dude has a dream tank :wub:

• Like 1
Just now, medinar83 said:

Good to see you over here @intocoralnfish on IG 

This dude has a dream tank :wub:

Heyyyy!  Small reef world.  Haha.

Yes.  Yes he does.  :)

• Like 1
On 5/10/2019 at 10:19 PM, Justind823 said:

Hot damn! 

Haha, thanks man!

Frag tank update:

Well, Perculese found a home last night! It took her long enough (him really, but finding another perc bigger would be a challenge!) Fat fish just lays there, thought it was dead for a bit. I’ve never seen such an unenthusiastic fish in all my life. 

ddbbc896ba5f9c1e7b85c36e07df61ab.jpg

307f929f490a9646d6eb24a612fc2bc9.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3