Jump to content
YHSublime

Living Room Nano Peninsula

Recommended Posts

On 3/12/2019 at 12:29 PM, JaneClifton said:

Lovely tank!

 

I have an Eshopps Eclipse S as well for my 29 gallon tank that I’m setting up. My first water test went pretty well, no major leaks in my plumbing that only took minor adjustments to fix. However, the water just spills through the overflow box as it is set up out of the box and it’s noisy. I’d love to see how you set it up in the end. Thanks!

Thanks for checking it out!

 

You can follow the plumbing closer to the beginning of my build. I detailed everything along the way! 

 

The overflow should have cone come with a standpipe, which I presume you are using. I’m also assuming that you put a gate valve closer to the end of your full siphon? You should be able to close it a bit (tune it) so that you raise the level of water in the external box, until it’s just trickling down the emergency standpipe.

 

this will give you enough water height as well so the water isn’t cascading from the internal basket into the external box. 

 

The box is designed to be setup as a standard herbie overflow.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post

I just saw your latest update - the tank is looking fantastic! I've been looking at how you did the Eclipse overflow, because I'm thinking of doing something similar with the UNS tank I won in the Secret Santa contest.

 

I just threw some peppermint shrimp in all three of my tanks. My LFS sells them for $5 each so it's easy to replenish them periodically. I've had mixed results - the first time I put some in a tank, they did like yours and ate all the aiptasia almost overnight. But over time, I think they learned it was easier to just eat the food I was putting in the tank. Lazy lazy lazy :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, teenyreef said:

I just saw your latest update - the tank is looking fantastic! I've been looking at how you did the Eclipse overflow, because I'm thinking of doing something similar with the UNS tank I won in the Secret Santa contest.

 

I just threw some peppermint shrimp in all three of my tanks. My LFS sells them for $5 each so it's easy to replenish them periodically. I've had mixed results - the first time I put some in a tank, they did like yours and ate all the aiptasia almost overnight. But over time, I think they learned it was easier to just eat the food I was putting in the tank. Lazy lazy lazy :rolleyes:

 

The Eshopps kits are fairly straight forward, they come with a drill bit, a guide, and the the boxes themselves. I was worried about my water line being super low, as I heard that was an issue, but I think it came out just right. This is coming from a guy that drilled his tank in the bathtub, so what the heck do I know?!

 

$5 local is a great deal. Even Reef Cleaners sells them for $6, and you can only order 5 I believe, I'm not sure why the shortage, or max? 

 

I hope they've just addressed the aiptasia problem. Unless some found their way to the sump, or the overflow, which they probably did. <Sigh.> I fancy myself quit the over lord, and when I feed the tank, I feed over the anemones, so whatever doesn't get caught by the fish, get's caught by the nems! I'm going to try and keep their appetite alive by continuing this method, even if it works or not! I put some of the CUC into the frag tank, but no peppermints. The frag tank is coated in a nice green algae on the sides, but when you look down inside, the tank is crystal clear. There are millions of pods, as it is fishless at the moment. Still almost no flow because of the sea cucumbers, but they are doing work! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, YHSublime said:

Thanks for checking it out!

 

You can follow the plumbing closer to the beginning of my build. I detailed everything along the way! 

 

The overflow should have cone come with a standpipe, which I presume you are using. I’m also assuming that you put a gate valve closer to the end of your full siphon? You should be able to close it a bit (tune it) so that you raise the level of water in the external box, until it’s just trickling down the emergency standpipe.

 

this will give you enough water height as well so the water isn’t cascading from the internal basket into the external box. 

 

The box is designed to be setup as a standard herbie overflow.

Thanks again, I’ll take a deeper look. I didn’t put a valve on the line, I thought about it initially but didn’t think it would be needed. Ugh! It’s not to big of a deal, I have one with two unions on the way. Hopefully I’ll be set after that. I wish I joined this group a year ago when I first started planning this adventure!

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, JaneClifton said:

Thanks again, I’ll take a deeper look. I didn’t put a valve on the line, I thought about it initially but didn’t think it would be needed. Ugh! It’s not to big of a deal, I have one with two unions on the way. Hopefully I’ll be set after that. I wish I joined this group a year ago when I first started planning this adventure!

Look up Herbie overflow. These are designed to be run as such. The gate valve is optimal if you want to run it right, or else there are little means to control the water. I’d suggest a gate and not a ball valve as well, you will notice the gate valve is much more expensive, but for good reason. It reduces the amount of back pressure and should last forever.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Couple changes since my last photos. I did remove the GSP. That's been a relief. The coraline is already taking to the floor under where it once lay. I did get a baby purple tang to replace the yellow. Moved the yellow into the frag tank this morning, was promptly eating by the carpet anemone in less than 2 minutes. Lesson learned (the hard way.) New additions healing for the tank:
 
TGC Cherry Bomb
PC Superman
BC Battlestag
SC Orange Passion
UC Pikachu
 
I guess if I had really bothered, I could have moved the frag rack out. 
 
DSC_0266-2
DSC_0233-2
DSC_0243
  • Like 2
  • Wow 3

Share this post


Link to post

Wow.  That's a wild update.  RIP tang.  And sad to hear about the GSP removal.  I was looking forward to it taking over your tank.  LOL.

 

Tank still looking 🔥 tho.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Tigahboy said:

Wow.  That's a wild update.  RIP tang.  And sad to hear about the GSP removal.  I was looking forward to it taking over your tank.  LOL.

 

Tank still looking 🔥 tho.

 

The purple is a real treat, treat. Vibrant colors, and lots of grazing. The yellow was very shy. It will not be long before it needs to be moved into a bigger tank, which is something else that I'm in the process of working on. The GSP was great, but it was too much work. It was dangerously close to spreading onto the rock, and that's a deal breaker!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Wow, how crazy the yellow tang got eaten 😳

 

This is such an epic collection of coral @YHSublime, I've been staring at these photos for a good 5 minutes now. I too will miss the green star polyp carpet along the bottom, but I can understand why you'd give it up 😄 

 

I noticed the baster/pipette and tweezers in the back, do you use the baster for feeding your coral? Is it any particular brand/make/model? I still haven't found one I like for feeding my coral.

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Wow, how crazy the yellow tang got eaten 😳

 

This is such an epic collection of coral @YHSublime, I've been staring at these photos for a good 5 minutes now. I too will miss the green star polyp carpet along the bottom, but I can understand why you'd give it up 😄 

I learned my lesson about keeping anything with a haddoni. I often contemplate adding it to the peninsula, this was confirmation that's a bad idea!

 

The GSP was a sacrifice for the rest of the coral collection! Some of it got on the rock when I didn't take care of it for a week, and I'm still trying to kill it off with epoxy. It has already been replaced with zoa frags that should start to grow out in it's stead. 

 

12 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

I noticed the baster/pipette and tweezers in the back, do you use the baster for feeding your coral? Is it any particular brand/make/model? I still haven't found one I like for feeding my coral.

Good eye, @Christopher Marks! I use the basters for spot feeding, and the tweezers for moving things around without putting my hands in the tank, which they usually are anyways. About a decade ago I bought a baster pack from a local LFS. I'm fairly sure I sold/gave away most of them since then, but this small one always kept around. I'm pretty sure this is it, and if my memory serves me right, that was the price of the whole pack of 4 that I bought at the time. The tweezers came from a local reefer who was moving, around the same time. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post

Sad to see the GSP go, I was inspired by your build, I removed all my sand and added GSP to the floor lol, well see how that goes 

 

as far as clean up crew, goes that going for you?

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/28/2019 at 2:26 PM, medinar83 said:

Sad to see the GSP go, I was inspired by your build, I removed all my sand and added GSP to the floor lol, well see how that goes 

 

as far as clean up crew, goes that going for you?

Haha, well, I'm glad to inspire, sorry I changed it! I'm starting now with zoanthids, and I'm pretty happy with how it's turning out!

CUC is still peachy keen, happy I updated it again, the refresher has done wonders. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
I'd like to take some time to appreciate this SC Orange Passion. It indeed is sexy:
 
46594629675_e21762a22d_b.jpg
 
Bumped some things around, scraped the glass, but didn't clean it. Been traveling a lot lately so it's taken a back burner. 
 
46594629835_62cca458f8_b.jpg
 
I did add an extra MP10. The new one is on 50%, the other one is on 75% It doesn't look as clean as I wanted, but the SPS is LOVING it
 
46594630175_b5c2593d9d_b.jpg
 
46594629235_2f011794df_b.jpg
 
47457333332_79a763a80e_b.jpg
  • Like 1
  • Wow 1

Share this post


Link to post

looking good!  i'm jealous of the PE you get on your SPS.  i think during my battle with cyano/dinos and raising my nitrate with no water changes, my tank was seriously lacking in any trace elements.  i recently did a series of water changes and did see better PE.  i've now taken it one step further (or many steps back) with the triton method.  

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/12/2019 at 3:11 AM, reefrook said:

looking good!  i'm jealous of the PE you get on your SPS.  i think during my battle with cyano/dinos and raising my nitrate with no water changes, my tank was seriously lacking in any trace elements.  i recently did a series of water changes and did see better PE.  i've now taken it one step further (or many steps back) with the triton method.  

Its so funny that you mention polyp extension. That is one of the things I am unhappy with! There are many pieces in here that have lost full PE that was once there. Funnily enough, about a month ago I added an additional MP10 and rocked my flow up, and I was just home on Friday and everything was coming out of it's shell again. 

 

Believe it or not, I'm only dosing 5ml each of each ESV B-Ionic solution a day. I'm thinking about running an experiment when I'm home for long enough and see if I up it gradually, the SPS will take more if given. 

Share this post


Link to post

I have been doing a TON of traveling over the past 2 weeks, so the tank has not seen a lot of love. Luckily, now that I'm back, everything looks better off without me. My dKH consumption continue to rise, have jumped from 5ml to almost 20ml over the past month. 

 

Additionally, it took a while, but the extra addition of the MP10 on the front side of the peninsula has remedied my polyp extension woes. Just about every single SPS now has very happy extending polyps during the day and night. 

 

The pictures don't really capture the awesomeness of the tank, I am going to see if I can buy a nice macro lens and get some closer photos, until then, you'll just have to make do with FTS's. 

 

47557289622_304446cb2b_b.jpg

 

46694727645_58a89386d3_b.jpg

 

46694728615_d0469bab85_b.jpg

 

46694727645_58a89386d3_b.jpg

 

46694728265_fe3af7a1c9_b.jpg

 

46886105344_7a83135ffd_b.jpg

  • Like 4
  • Wow 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...