SaltCritters.com

Creative Container Pico Contest - Official Announcement

Felicia

So the Archea heater from Aqua Forest Aquariums that I ordered for my jar came in today.  I have been grossly overestimating the size. :lol: I took a few pics so everyone who's been curious can see the size.

As you can see, it's a good bit shorter than I was estimating:

IMG_20171010_153627218

IMG_20171010_153712120

The diameter is very slender; this is a U.S. nickel:

IMG_20171010_153747972

Hope that helps some of you!

• Like 9
  • Wow 1
  • Thanks 3
4 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

So the Archea heater from Aqua Forest Aquariums that I ordered for my jar came in today.  I have been grossly overestimating the size. :lol: I took a few pics so everyone who's been curious can see the size.

As you can see, it's a good bit shorter than I was estimating:

IMG_20171010_153627218

IMG_20171010_153712120

The diameter is very slender; this is a U.S. nickel:

IMG_20171010_153747972

Hope that helps some of you!

Hmmm....Maybe I will have to buy one.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

As I understand it's the body of a Mini Tide light but designed for small pico reefs, so there are fewer LED diodes. I believe @DaveFason is making it custom just for the contest!

Yep!  @DaveFason is making a custom fixture that will have less LEDs than the Mini Tide to be suitable for a pico.  It will be the perfect light upgrade for whoever's container wins the most creative category! :)

4 hours ago, schgr.cube said:

Is this what people are using for their heater control?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M6WMUYI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A197YPAPAP8V04&psc=1

I found a little Aqueon mini I had been using, but its 10w so I would only want to use it with a controller...if I need it. Although I probably will need it, as this is going in my attic office which can get a little chilly during the winter.

I'm using an Inkbird now on my reef tank and like it so far.  I've used Finnex controllers for years and really like those as well.

3 hours ago, OldManSea said:

I am in.  Have been considering a pico reef and this contest is the impetus for doing it.  Here is my terrarium-now-shallow-reef bowl.

https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/386135-oldmanseas-pico-shallow-reef-creative-container-pico-contest-tank/

Love the shape of that bowl!  And nice work drilling the little hole for the airline.  I'll get your name added to the list of contestants on the first post of this thread.

3 hours ago, Kellie in CA said:

Question:  If I attempt to do this with just sunlight and it doesn't work am I allowed to add a light later? Or do you have to use the same equipment from beginning to end? 

2 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

An excellent question. 

That should be fine.  We've said no to changing containers after the October 31st deadline because that would be like starting a whole new reef.  However, just adding a light wouldn't be a big deal, so I'm fine with that.  @Christopher Marks and @pj86, feel free to weigh in!

2 hours ago, Lisa166 said:

Count me in! I still need to figure out a lot. But here is a journal, and a picture of the dry bowl with condiments

IMG_20171010_204327

, yes. I am a sucker for condiments. 

Wow!  That's some condiments!  Glad you're entering!  I'll add your name to the list of contestants on the first post of this thread.

1 hour ago, Boggers said:

My entry

Wooho! Another entry!  Very cool stand for the container.  I'm adding your name to the list of contestants in the first post of this thread.

18 hours ago, JoeR said:

Thanks for the help!

I looked at the reviews for some of the beta heaters, and they’re either negative or mixed. I don’t know if I can trust them or not. I was looking at this one, but again- the reviews are mixed. Does it not really matter as long as I use your suggested controllers?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006JVQ67K/ref=cm_cr_arp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

Whoops, guess I didn’t read the rules close enough. It does not screw in to a standard socket, so I think you’re right- it’s technically against the rules (?).

I defintely need to research the flow issue more, airline tube vs. power head. 2” may still be too big, but I don’t think I want the airline because of all the bubbles and salt spray like you mentioned. I prefer no lid, as it’ll ruin the modern look, but I also don’t want to spend $135 on the micro smart ATO when the purpose is to be low cost. sigh. Such first world problems, huh?

Back to the drawing board..

Yeah, unfortunately the JBJ Picotope fixture will not qualify for the contest.

• Like 5

I'm in...I just had to run home early to receive delivery of my freezer. in doing so, I forgot to bring my pieces of kit home.  :(  

that said, I need help finding an affordable floor lamp for my ABi 12w LED bulb. 

right now, all I'm finding are Ikea options...the Hektar or Ranap, Format or Arod.  

I might try that Global light again...I realize it might work for a pico jar. it definitely was a NO GO for my Fluval 5 gallon.  <_<  

• Like 7
On 10/9/2017 at 6:17 AM, skibum513 said:

Yes! this is a great contest I love some of the containers.  And would anyone be oppose to me using a chiller instead of a heater they both control temp? If you have seen some previous post you may know where i'm going with this ;)

I consulted with the other hosts and we've decided that unfortunately, chillers will not be allowed.  They just add too much technology/complexity, which is what we're trying to avoid with this contest.  Unfortunately, a chiller is too far outside the scope of this contest.  Fun idea though!  I'd love to see a coldwater pico at some point. :)

• Like 6
19 hours ago, seabass said:

Low budget, or absolutely nothing at all?

If you want to introduce some heat, I might just forget the heater and make sure you have a lid (to eliminate evaporation), run a light cycle of at least 10 hours, and add a powerhead.

IDK, maybe something like a

Eheim Compact 300: http://www.reefsupplies.ca/online-store/Eheim-Compact-300-Pump-80-GPH.html

Hydro Pico: https://www.bigalspets.com/hydor-circulation-pumps-for-aquariums.html?sku=61153

or just  small pump designed for fountains.  Anything to add some continuous watts/heat.  You see these powerheads cost about $20.

I just upgraded to a new tank, controllers, heater,gfci, and rodi - pretty broke now. lol

I'm trying to use what i have lying around.

I have a hydor pico 100gph(can be adjusted)

par38 24watt

aqueon 10watt heater(the thing never turns off, not sure if it can be used with an inkbird

13 hours ago, Tamberav said:

For low budget... I have seen people with betta tanks take those always on tiny betta heaters and put them on a cheap light timer from Walmart and just dial it in so it turns on and off to keep temps in the right range. 

Amazon has a betta heater for 6 bux and a timer should be cheap as well. 

I realize not everyone has 30 bucks to spend on a heater or another 30 on a controller. So while this is a more challenging option... A person should be able to dial it in with their own testing/monitoring... for around 10 dollars. 

its safe to use a light timer on a small heater? 

43 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Sure.

56 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

aqueon 10watt heater(the thing never turns off, not sure if it can be used with an inkbird

Why wouldn't it work?

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Friendly said:

I'm in...I just had to run home early to receive delivery of my freezer. in doing so, I forgot to bring my pieces of kit home.  :(  

that said, I need help finding an affordable floor lamp for my ABi 12w LED bulb. 

right now, all I'm finding are Ikea options...the Hektar or Ranap, Format or Arod.  

I might try that Global light again...I realize it might work for a pico jar. it definitely was a NO GO for my Fluval 5 gallon.  <_<  

Might Target have anything? I wonder if one of those lamps with an attached reading lamp arm might work. I use a task lamp with a clamp from Amazon.

1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

I just upgraded to a new tank, controllers, heater,gfci, and rodi - pretty broke now. lol

I'm trying to use what i have lying around.

I have a hydor pico 100gph(can be adjusted)

par38 24watt

I think the heater would be fine with the Inkbird, it's basically the kind of heater other people are using with it.

Yes, some do that. Think it'll just take more fiddling.

Yeah, does the same thing a controller does (just not automatically) and these heaters are low low watts anywho. Thats how the budget betta keepers do it.

3 hours ago, seabass said:

Sure.

Why wouldn't it work?

I wasn't sure if it would with the always running heaters.

I also wasn't certain if a light timer would be safe, I never heard of it used with a heater.

I have one of these and it's tiny and perfect for pico's but unreliable. 

It had my 5g going up to 85 and it never turned off.

015905061933MAIN-jpg.jpg

1 hour ago, SaltyBuddha said:

@Lula_Mae thanks for the advice on the inkbird and betta heater combo!

Thanks, I didn't come up with it but I think it's brilliant so I try to share it when I can!

5 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

I wasn't sure if it would with the always running heaters.

I also wasn't certain if a light timer would be safe, I never heard of it used with a heater.

015905061933MAIN-jpg.jpg

I think the Inkbird just cuts the heater on and off to maintain temp, same as the timer does but less work to get it dialed in, I think. If you already have the heater and timer, why not see if you can figure out how to maintain safe temps with it and if it doesn't work well, you can invest in the Inkbird?

They are not designed to shut off.  The thermal shut off feature is a protective measure to help prevent fires, not control tank temperatures.  When you say it was unreliable, do you mean that it didn't always heat, or that tank temps fluctuated?

Without a thermostat (or controller), these heaters act more like a powerhead which gives off heat.  Tank temps will continue to fluctuate with your light cycle, room temps, and evaporation.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, seabass said:

They are not designed to shut off.  The thermal shut off feature is a protective measure to help prevent fires, not control tank temperatures.  When you say it was unreliable, do you mean that it didn't always heat, or that tank temps fluctuated?

Without a thermostat (or controller), these heaters act more like a powerhead which gives off heat.  Tank temps will continue to fluctuate with your light cycle, room temps, and evaporation.

How bad is a little temp fluctuation really for corals? I don’t think a little bit hurts, it’s just the super high/super low temps that are a problem. Most of the time during WC for my 3 Gallon, I don’t even match water temps. Tank water is 78 or so, and fresh water is room temp. Nothing seems to even notice since I get polyp extension almost immediately afterwards.

The problem with my contest tank, being only half a gallon, is every heater is probably too much. I don’t think I have a choice but to get an Inkbird or other controller in combination with a beta heater. Though I don’t know how to tell if the Betta heaters stay constantly on, they don’t say in the description on amazon. Or somehow skip on the heater altogether?

1 hour ago, JoeR said:

Though I don’t know how to tell if the Betta heaters stay constantly on, they don’t say in the description on amazon.

When they don't say they are adjustable or set to a preset temperature, then they are usually always on.

• Like 3

My tanks used to fluctuate during summer before I had AC and never noticed any issue with Softies/LPS (didn't keep SPS). I would say it depends, temps from 76-79 are fine imo but if your bowl goes from 72-80, it may be an issue.

My bowl is tiny and I plan to use a heater but winter is coming so its needed on my end.

2 hours ago, JoeR said:

How bad is a little temp fluctuation really for corals? I don’t think a little bit hurts, it’s just the super high/super low temps that are a problem. Most of the time during WC for my 3 Gallon, I don’t even match water temps. Tank water is 78 or so, and fresh water is room temp. Nothing seems to even notice since I get polyp extension almost immediately afterwards.

The problem with my contest tank, being only half a gallon, is every heater is probably too much. I don’t think I have a choice but to get an Inkbird or other controller in combination with a beta heater. Though I don’t know how to tell if the Betta heaters stay constantly on, they don’t say in the description on amazon. Or somehow skip on the heater altogether?

• Like 1
6 hours ago, seabass said:

My room temp was between 73-74

I didn't really have any fluctuations with it, just ever increasing temps.

I would have to plug it in and then unplug it or I'd cook the tank.

7 hours ago, Lisa166 said:

@Felicia I'm just looking at my options but would it be it allowed to have the tank next to the maintank? I am asking because it will receive indirect light from the main tank that way. 

Yes, as long as it isn't the main light source. I like  to keep mine all in the same place also :) 

• Like 3
58 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

I didn't really have any fluctuations with it, just ever increasing temps.

I would have to plug it in and then unplug it or I'd cook the tank.

So in other words, it worked as designed. ;)  Being that it's too overpowered for your tank to be left on 24/7, it should be good heater for you if put on a timer or controller.

I actually think that many of the bad reviews are from people who had similar experiences with working heaters.  The product descriptions are often misleading, as they state that they can raise the temperature to an appropriate level (giving you the false impression that they have a preset temperature).  Although it's true, they can raise the temperature within an acceptable range, given the right volume of water and/or room temperature (which is never stated).

• Like 3
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic