Cultivated Reef

Creative Container Pico Contest - Official Announcement

Felicia

On 10/7/2017 at 11:54 PM, seabass said:

I think one of these would be cool: https://www.amazon.com/light-bulb-container/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Alight bulb container

Somebody should totally do this.

71x+Wx-DuHL._SL1071_.jpg

I've seen this done and it looks so cool.  nothing fancy just some macro algae and a rock but it still looked way cool. 

18 hours ago, Coral_chef said:

Just found some jars at a huge antique shop now to pick one. ?

IMG_0375.JPG

I'll take the jar on the far left and the pink next to it :wub:

14 hours ago, Merthynia said:

I am joining the fun!

WOOOOHOOOOO :happydance:

And @teenyreef, you better join fingerscrossed.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, skibum513 said:

Haha ya nothing said you cant put it in a fridge lol! I set up an experiment last night to see how cool i could keep a vase.  I set an air stone in the freezer and ran the line into a vase so it was pumping in cold air.  It worked but not great 

I have seen the wine chiller fridges with glass doors for like 50 or 60 bucks. 

Question:

I am still debating on whether I want to make the head jar work or not. If I were to do this, I was thinking about giving the Percolator to Sammy (the old forum member who I am having move in with us since they are pretty bad off in Puerto Rico) so that he could enter when he arrives. He will be here October 27th, so just before the deadline, but would I have to have him empty it and post with his own condiment, or could I just "transfer" the current progress over to him? Giving him a shot at winning some free reef stuff would be nice, as it might be an easy entry back into the hobby. Also, he loves coffee, so that might be perfect.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Christopher Marks
53 minutes ago, schgr.cube said:

Would I have to have him empty it and post with his own condiment, or could I just "transfer" the current progress over to him?

I think for the sake of being fair, he'll still need to start with an empty tank shot with a condiment. There's nothing stopping you from curing some suitable pico container live rock for him though, while you're waiting for him to arrive :) 

• Like 3
GunslingerGirl
1 hour ago, schgr.cube said:

Question:

I am still debating on whether I want to make the head jar work or not. If I were to do this, I was thinking about giving the Percolator to Sammy (the old forum member who I am having move in with us since they are pretty bad off in Puerto Rico) so that he could enter when he arrives. He will be here October 27th, so just before the deadline, but would I have to have him empty it and post with his own condiment, or could I just "transfer" the current progress over to him? Giving him a shot at winning some free reef stuff would be nice, as it might be an easy entry back into the hobby. Also, he loves coffee, so that might be perfect.

That is super sweet of you. I love our forum members. We are generally the best kind of people.

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, Kellie in CA said:

I picked up this terrarium years ago and never did anything with it. I'm so tempted...  

IMG_8491.JPG

omg I LOVE IT! Do it :)

• Like 1
GunslingerGirl
5 minutes ago, Kellie in CA said:

I picked up this terrarium years ago and never did anything with it. I'm so tempted...  

IMG_8491.JPG

Dooooo eeeettt!

The bubbles remind me of somebody hand blowing into a frame. I wonder if it was sautered before or after?

1 hour ago, Christopher Marks said:

I think for the sake of being fair, he'll still need to start with an empty tank shot with a condiment. There's nothing stopping you from curing some suitable pico container live rock for him though, while you're waiting for him to arrive :) 

Okay that is fair. I might actually be better off cycling the rock in the Percoralator for myself and move it into the head once I figure that out. I'll empty it out once he gets here and let him decide if he wants to use it. I have enough supplies for both of us to have a full setup!

• Like 3
Christopher Marks

How would everyone feel about the contest journals being moved into our Pico Reefs forum instead of the main Aquarium Journals forum? I was thinking the whole Pico forum would benefit from some extra activity.

Existing journals would be moved and display as redirecting topics in the Aquarium Journals forum for 30 days.

• Like 15
9 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

How would everyone feel about the contest journals being moved into our Pico Reefs forum instead of the main Aquarium Journals forum? I was thinking the whole Pico forum would benefit from some extra activity.

Existing journals would be moved and display as redirecting topics in the Aquarium Journals forum for 30 days.

I think it is a better idea, I was going to suggest that originally but thought there was a reason you were keeping it in the aquarium journals!

• Thanks 1
GunslingerGirl
10 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

I like that idea. Technically they are pico reefs.

• Thanks 1
20 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Yes, I also like the idea.

• Thanks 1
flatlandreefer
24 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

+1 I think it will make it easier to keep track of all the builds as they wont get buried in the aquarium journal forum. 

• Thanks 1
30 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

How would everyone feel about the contest journals being moved into our Pico Reefs forum instead of the main Aquarium Journals forum?

Technically, we weren't even allowed to use aquariums. :)  So yes, good idea.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
1 minute ago, Christopher Marks said:

Touché! :lol: 

Ok, all existing journals have been moved to the Pico Reefs Forum!

I was in the middle of reading some of them when they suddenly moved to the pico forum and had a moment of great confusion. And then I realized I had also forgotten to tag my thread for the contest. Oops lol.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Thanks 1
Christopher Marks
4 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

I was in the middle of reading some of them when they suddenly moved to the pico forum and had a moment of great confusion. And then I realized I had also forgotten to tag my thread for the contest. Oops lol.

You almost got left behind! :o

I took care of it ;) 

I think that's everyone, but if your Pico Contest Journal got left behind in the Aquarium Journals forum please let me know :) 

1 minute ago, Christopher Marks said:

You almost got left behind! :o

I took care of it ;) 

I think that's everyone, but if your Pico Contest Journal got left behind in the Aquarium Journals forum please let me know :) 

I know!!! Haha thanks. I fixed the tag too now.

6 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

I had tagged mine incorrectly so I had to fix it.

• Like 1
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic