Creative Container Pico Contest - Official Announcement

Felicia

12 hours ago, Farmboyreef said:

Ok here we go! It’s official 

93C387AA-BC29-4341-B8D6-D8CA73E32089.jpeg

11 hours ago, GraniteReefer said:

Heres the rest of my entry! Just hanging the light now getting ready

5 hours ago, schgr.cube said:

@Felicia I decided to bail on my original idea, and started a new thread for my new container. Can you edit my entry in here? Thanks!

37511945926_51aa176eb3_h.jpg

5 hours ago, GunslingerGirl said:

Tah Dah! Follow along for my grad student fried from tests and practicals rants and ravings (I think I'm funny but you can be the judge)

Lots of entries today! Unfortunately, the wifi at this hotel for RAP is awful. I'm having a hard time posting, so I will wait to update the main post until I get home tomorrow evening. You're all officially in the contest though and I'll get the list updated ASAP.

4 hours ago, teenyreef said:

This is so tempting, I have to work a lot in October but that really just means I'll be looking for reasons to procrastinate. :D

And I already have a light, air pump, and airstone. Just need to look around the house for a container and figure out where to put it. 

Are we allowed to use live rock that's already in a tank? 

Go for it! There are no restrictions on terms of the sand, rock, or livestock so yep that is totally fine.

3 hours ago, JoeR said:

It's official :)

Got your entry! Welcome to the contest! I'll update the contestants list as soon as I have internet that isn't snail speed.

2 hours ago, gogeta said:

Yep. That's light is fine.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
On 10/2/2017 at 12:08 PM, Felicia said:

Containers must be purchased and maintained intact with only minor modifications to seal the container, accommodate qualifying equipment, to allow ventilation, or to create a lid allowed.

Clarification:  Would drilling a hole for an airline tube be permitted?

17 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Can you change containers if you have to?

You can change containers up until the October 31st entry deadline. After that, you may not switch containers as it would be like setting up a new tank/starting over. In terms of voting, we want everyone to have the same amount of time that they've been maintaining their container reefs.

23 minutes ago, seabass said:

Clarification:  Would drilling a hole for an airline tube be permitted?

Yeah a small hole to run in airline is fine! Just no drilling for any sort of plumbing or filtration.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Friendly said:

I'm kinda curious. is the canopy Granite intends to use an allowable light fixture?  :unsure:  

not trying to cause you any grief Granite, but so many other aquarium focus bits have been confirmed disallowed.  :ninja:

I looked it up and it appears to just be a mountable lamp that the light screws into. It's pretty much like a household task lamp or something. The only thing borderline is the built in reflector but I think it's ok because it's not like a programmable reef fixture of anything. @GraniteReefer, that lamp just has a standard E26/27 socket, correct? I'll let @pj86 and @Christopher Marks weigh in though.

justjoshinya

I may be getting in on this I saw a cool vase at my work I might ask and take it, was thinking the flask would be cool too have a 4L one but a powerhead would be hard to get in there I measured... so many options so little time..

MainelyReefer

Yea the light fixture is just a e26 socket held horizontally, everyone gets a reflector and should be allowed to create the best reflector they can assuming the light source is the correct one.  I Feel nervous to ask if you can put the air stone in a tube to contain the bubbles as they move up the water column.  sorry to ask so many questions and to bring about so many controversial parts but I misunderstood the container is creative but the methodology of each container is homogenized

picture of tube in questionIMG_1792.thumb.JPG.d4d676c833b02f06444cf3ef718a079c.JPG

and essentially this tube will serve no purpose other than direct the flow the bubbles make and keep them contained until about 2" from the water surface, please don't defeat my hype over this and anyone could do this it's an old water change tube cut to size and drilled a few times so not like an astronomical difference just makes the tank more my own, it's known as a lift pipe and very common in fry tanks and freshwater under gravel filters when implemented differently

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Felicia said:

You can change containers up until the October 31st entry deadline. After that, you may not switch containers as it would be like setting up a new tank/starting over. In terms of voting, we want everyone to have the same amount of time that they've been maintaining their container reefs.

Yeah a small hole to run in airline is fine! Just no drilling for any sort of plumbing or filtration.

For my contrainer, I need to mod the machine to make or watertight and the heater and airline will be coming from the bottom. Is this ok?

Alibaba has some cool stuff, including a mini kriesel, it's all wholesale though. Anyone know how to find this stuff non wholesale?

https://m.alibaba.com/product/60550928832/clear-glass-and-wood-airplant-terrariums.html

https://m.alibaba.com/product/1261932846/Two-sizes-decorative-clear-triangle-glass.html?spm=a2706.7843667.1998817009.12.fPoFFP

https://m.alibaba.com/product/60284657026/Acrylic-Vase-fiberglass-vase-OEM-ODM.html

https://m.alibaba.com/product/1461954089/Two-sizes-transparent-glass-flower-vase.html

Edit: at least one of the companies does small/sample orders, I'll see if they do single piece orders with international shipping

• Like 3
10 hours ago, teenyreef said:

This is so tempting, I have to work a lot in October but that really just means I'll be looking for reasons to procrastinate. :D

And I already have a light, air pump, and airstone. Just need to look around the house for a container and figure out where to put it. 

Are we allowed to use live rock that's already in a tank? 

Yes, you may use live rock.  It would be great if you joined in although with your pico experience the rest of us would be sure to go down in defeat, ha ha!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
11 hours ago, Friendly said:

I'm kinda curious. is the canopy Granite intends to use an allowable light fixture?  :unsure:  

not trying to cause you any grief Granite, but so many other aquarium focus bits have been confirmed disallowed.  :ninja:

7 hours ago, Felicia said:

I looked it up and it appears to just be a mountable lamp that the light screws into. It's pretty much like a household task lamp or something. The only thing borderline is the built in reflector but I think it's ok because it's not like a programmable reef fixture of anything. @GraniteReefer, that lamp just has a standard E26/27 socket, correct? I'll let @pj86 and @Christopher Marks weigh in though.

Yes, it is designed for regular CFL screw in bulbs or the LED's designed for vivariums like Jungle Dawns.  You are correct that it basically is like a task lamp.  I'd think the reflector could be considered similar to the lenses on the PAR bulbs, focusing the light in a particular direction.  Jmo.

7 hours ago, seabass said:

I think one of these would be cool: https://www.amazon.com/light-bulb-container/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Alight bulb container

Somebody should totally do this.

71x+Wx-DuHL._SL1071_.jpg

I've seen pics of this set up as an Opae ula tank. :happy:  Hobby Lobby carries the bulb vases in a couple sizes.  Biggest challenge would be getting in there to work, the opening is maybe an inch at most.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, GraniteReefer said:

Yea the light fixture is just a e26 socket held horizontally, everyone gets a reflector and should be allowed to create the best reflector they can assuming the light source is the correct one.  I Feel nervous to ask if you can put the air stone in a tube to contain the bubbles as they move up the water column.  sorry to ask so many questions and to bring about so many controversial parts but I misunderstood the container is creative but the methodology of each container is homogenized

picture of tube in questionIMG_1792.thumb.JPG.d4d676c833b02f06444cf3ef718a079c.JPG

and essentially this tube will serve no purpose other than direct the flow the bubbles make and keep them contained until about 2" from the water surface, please don't defeat my hype over this and anyone could do this it's an old water change tube cut to size and drilled a few times so not like an astronomical difference just makes the tank more my own, it's known as a lift pipe and very common in fry tanks and freshwater under gravel filters when implemented differently

Yes, this is totally fine!

4 hours ago, Farmboyreef said:

For my contrainer, I need to mod the machine to make or watertight and the heater and airline will be coming from the bottom. Is this ok?

Yes, you are allowed to do small modifications like that to seal a container.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Coral_chef said:

Just found some jars at a huge antique shop now to pick one. ?

The one on the right looks like Rocky's turtle tank.

Image result for rocky balboa turtle tank
  • Like 2
5 minutes ago, seabass said:

The one on the right looks like Rocky's turtle tank.

Image result for rocky balboa turtle tank

I used to have an african dwarf frog in a container like that.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, vlangel said:

Yes, you may use live rock.  It would be great if you joined in although with your pico experience the rest of us would be sure to go down in defeat, ha ha!

Ha ha, thanks, but this is totally different. My 4g pico had all the features of a big tank, dosing, skimming, Apex control, ATO, even a powerhead. The appeal to me is to see how much can be done with doing 100 percent water changes instead of all that fancy stuff. 

Imagine how popular this hobby could be if we could keep corals without much more equipment than you need for a goldfish :)

4 hours ago, Merthynia said:

I am joining the fun!

Yay! omgomgomg

• Like 4
On 10/7/2017 at 10:29 AM, Farmboyreef said:

Ok here we go! It’s official 

93C387AA-BC29-4341-B8D6-D8CA73E32089.jpeg

On 10/7/2017 at 12:14 PM, GraniteReefer said:

Heres the rest of my entry! Just hanging the light now getting ready

On 10/7/2017 at 5:42 PM, schgr.cube said:

@Felicia I decided to bail on my original idea, and started a new thread for my new container. Can you edit my entry in here? Thanks!

37511945926_51aa176eb3_h.jpg

On 10/7/2017 at 5:42 PM, GunslingerGirl said:

Tah Dah! Follow along for my grad student fried from tests and practicals rants and ravings (I think I'm funny but you can be the judge)

On 10/7/2017 at 7:33 PM, JoeR said:

It's official :)

4 hours ago, Merthynia said:

I am joining the fun!

I'm finally back to decent internet.  Sorry for being MIA while I was at Reef-a-Palooza.

I have all your entries and the contestants list in the first post of this thread has been updated!  Let me know if I missed anyone's entry!

We're up to 17 entries now!  I'm super excited about all the interest and the number of people wanting to compete.  There are a ton of cool/unique containers so far!  This is going to be a lot of fun!

• Like 6

Yes! this is a great contest I love some of the containers.  And would anyone be oppose to me using a chiller instead of a heater they both control temp? If you have seen some previous post you may know where i'm going with this ;)

• Like 2
38 minutes ago, skibum513 said:

Yes! this is a great contest I love some of the containers.  And would anyone be oppose to me using a chiller instead of a heater they both control temp? If you have seen some previous post you may know where i'm going with this ;)

This sounds cool, and I would like to see how you put this together. Just not sure if a chiller would be in the spirit of keeping things simple. I would say sure just to see it attempted though. :)

I too considered a cold water reef pico. Would love to see it done. Maybe rules can be bent in this circumstance to be a heater OR a chiller? 

I would be sad to see cold water reefs eliminated from the contest just because they are cold. 

Otherwise keep it in a mini fridge set to temp? :D

Haha ya nothing said you cant put it in a fridge lol! I set up an experiment last night to see how cool i could keep a vase.  I set an air stone in the freezer and ran the line into a vase so it was pumping in cold air.  It worked but not great 

• Christopher Marks unpinned this topic