Pod Your Reef

Creative Container Pico Contest - Official Announcement

Felicia

6 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Is this contest only open to US members?

I am working on determining an answer on this right now actually.  I'll post regarding international entries as soon as we determine how to handle that.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did I miss any official entries today?  I've been busy at work and am playing catch up.  I didn't see any yet today, but wanted to make sure I didn't miss anyone.  The list at the end of the first post is currently up to date with all the official entries we've received.

I would vote yes, but shipping any prizes won internationally wouldn't be included.  It's still fun to participate even if you can't win prizes.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, seabass said:

I would vote yes, but shipping any prizes won internationally wouldn't be included.  It's still fun to participate even if you can't win prizes.

Yep, this is exactly the issue.  We definitely want to allow everyone to enter and compete, its just a question of shipping prizes.  I'm just checking with the other hosts and then will make a formal announcement.

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, metrokat said:

Maybe I missed it. Can it be a freshwater pico?

I feel the closest to freshwater would be a brackish system. It has to have some salt, :lol:

Makes it a little bit more challenging.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Tamberav said:

The only thing I am not a fan of is no ability to run carbon, makes it difficult to mix SPS with softies and with such a tiny water volume, any contaminates in the air could be an issue. It makes me nervous to try 0.3 gal system without carbon, thinking dropping a bag passively near the bubbler would still not be allowed?

I have SPS and softies in my bowl-and no carbon. With weekly 100% water changes I haven't run into any issues. 

But I might be nervous at 0.3g!

• Like 3

On the issue of lighting, because of the small size almost any type of par bulb with some blue lighting will be more than enough.

When I started my pico jars, I used the JBJ picotope stock light over the jar. 

Also, there are tons of robotic/hobby stores that sell cheap LED lights and come in all colors. My first prototype used these types of lights, and the corals didn't seem to mind.  Total cost was under $20 bucks.

16 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

I have SPS and softies in my bowl-and no carbon. With weekly 100% water changes I haven't run into any issues. 

But I might be nervous at 0.3g!

Yeah 0.3g isn't even counting the water loss with rock.

I am torn on doing something super small/unique with limited stock or something more 2g range where I can do a mixed reef.

Contest Rules Clarification Updates

Ok, we have discussed and reached the following conclusions regarding the questions that are being asked on this thread.  This post is the official ruling and can be treated as part of the contest rules.

1. Lighting - We are modifying the lighting rule to allow one single bulb with a E26/E27 socket screw type, LED or fluorescent.  We will allow a single fluorescent bulb that fits in a standard household light fixture as an alternative to a single par LED bulb.  I understand that these are not the best lighting option out there, but it is more than sufficient for these small pico containers.  We really want the focus of this contest to be on husbandry skill.  We do not want the competition to be based around the means to purchase expensive equipment.  Lighting is one of those items that can really provide a big advantage if you have the budget to purchase a more expensive light fixture than someone else.  Therefore, we want to level the playing field by having everyone use the same type of lighting.  We chose an inexpensive option because we want this contest to have a low barrier to entry.  We want people on a tighter budget to be able to enter as well.  These systems should be about minimal equipment and being low cost, while focusing on your individual creativity and husbandry skills.  Let's stick to that goal for the contest.
  2. Filtration - In keeping with the goal stated above, we will not be allowing any mechanical or chemical filtration (no AIO partitions, no sponge filters, no carbon, etc.).  For this contest, you are the filtration.  With these small containers, it is much simpler to do large (or even 100% water changes), which makes it easier to use that method to maintain parameters than in large tanks.  Again, think of it as a contest based on your ability to maintain the parameters without a lot of fancy equipment.  We're going to really test all your reefing skills!
  3. International Entries - International Nano-Reef members are welcome to enter and compete!  The more the merrier!  Hopefully since the equipment is simple, there will be similar items abroad to use for the contest.  There is just one disclaimer for the international contestants.  Our sponsors may not be able to ship the prizes internationally due to customs or there may increased costs involved.  If an international contestant wins, they may not be able to receive the prize, or they may have to pay for the international shipping charge.  We will do what we can to sort out if and how we can ship prizes if an international contestant wins.  We'd love to have you compete though for the fun of the competition!
  4. Freshwater Tanks - Sorry, but all entries must be salty (brackish at the minimum), since this is Nano-Reef after all!  If you'd like to set up a freshwater pico container and participate for the fun of it, then that is just fine.  It just won't be an official entry and will not be eligible to win any of the prizes.
  5. Container Modifications - As further clarification to questions regarding modification of containers.  Containers cannot be custom made, but must be pre-existing containers that you have purchased or had on hand.  The only modifications allowed are minor modifications to accommodate qualifying equipment, to allow ventilation, or to create a lid.  We have also decided that minor modifications to seal a container are allowed.  For example, the discussion about the potential for the spigot on the beverage container to leak.  It would be fine to seal off the spigot.  No modifications that involve adding all-in-one partitions or any external plumbing are allowed.  If you are questioning whether your modification is allowed, please post asking about it here or send myself, @pj86, and @Christopher Marks a pm to verify.

I hope this clarifies most of the recent questions.  If you need clarification on anything, please keep asking and I'll keep adding these rule updates/clarifications as needed.

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, Felicia said:

Contest Rules Clarification Updates

Lighting - We are sticking to the rule that the only form of lighting allowed is a single par LED bulb.  I understand that it is not the best lighting option out there, but it is more than sufficient for these small pico containers.  We really want the focus of this contest to be on husbandry skill.  We do not want the competition to be based around the means to purchase expensive equipment.  Lighting is one of those items that can really provide a big advantage if you have the budget to purchase a more expensive light fixture than someone else.  Therefore, we want to level the playing field by having everyone use the same type of lighting.  We chose an inexpensive option because we want this contest to have a low barrier to entry.  We want people on a tighter budget to be able to enter as well.  These systems should be about minimal equipment and being low cost, while focusing on your individual creativity and husbandry skills.  Let's stick to that goal for the contest.

I think all of this is fair, I would like to ask just one thing about lighting. If simplicity and cost are the two biggest factors for this, would you consider allowing use of those compact fluorescent bulbs? The cost of a PAR bulb is still around $25 minimum, for lower quality ones, and climbs up from there. Those bulbs are as cheap as $7 from what I have seen, and wouldn't provide any unfair advantage.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Lisa166 said:

You are very awesome and I may sometime ask you to do that if tou really don't mind. (I have been looking at a way to get intank media baskets to here, but no success so far). 

Thank you very much! I will see if I can find a supplier for that light bulb.

I can do it. 

7 minutes ago, schgr.cube said:

I think all of this is fair, I would like to ask just one thing about lighting. If simplicity and cost are the two biggest factors for this, would you consider allowing use of those compact fluorescent bulbs? The cost of a PAR bulb is still around $25 minimum, for lower quality ones, and climbs up from there. Those bulbs are as cheap as $7 from what I have seen, and wouldn't provide any unfair advantage.

This is actually something I might prefer. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, schgr.cube said:

We are discussing this now.  I will let you know once we make an official ruling.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, schgr.cube said:

Ok, we have decided to also allow single fluorescent bulbs.  The new lighting rule is as follows:

Lighting - 1 single E26/E27 socket screw type bulb only, LED or Fluorescent.

I will update the announcement above.

• Like 7
4 minutes ago, Felicia said:

Ok, we have decided to also allow single fluorescent bulbs.  The new lighting rule is as follows:

Lighting - 1 single E26/E27 socket screw type bulb only, LED or Fluorescent.

Agreed with seabass, I think this will help a lot of people break the entry barrier...not that it was high to begin with, but still!

Let me know if you guys have an answer for that PM I sent as well. Thanks!

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, schgr.cube said:

Agreed with seabass, I think this will help a lot of people break the entry barrier...not that it was high to begin with, but still!

Let me know if you guys have an answer for that PM I sent as well. Thanks!

Thank you all for the good discussion and ideas.  I think this is a good option that sticks to our goal for the competition and keeps a level playing field.  I honestly forgot the reef fluorescent bulbs that fit in standard sockets existed until now.  We're really thinking old school and simple now. :D

Pm answer is on its way shortly.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Felicia said:

Thank you all for the good discussion and ideas.  I think this is a good option that sticks to our goal for the competition and keeps a level playing field.  I honestly forgot the reef fluorescent bulbs that fit in standard sockets existed until now.  We're really thinking old school and simple now. :D

Pm answer is on its way shortly.

What about no light- NPS tank! :lol:

• Like 2
Just now, HarryPotter said:

What about no light- NPS! :lol:

Yep, we said no light is fine as well.  Sunlight is an acceptable alternative, and you're welcome to try NPS. :lol:

• Haha 2
2 minutes ago, Felicia said:

Yep, we said no light is fine as well.  Sunlight is an acceptable alternative, and you're welcome to try NPS. :lol:

Haha no NPS for me. I am thinking a bowl with a scoop of sand from my display, a $8 fluorescent reef bulb, and full of candy cane corals! I have a rack full xD 

2 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Keep the cost down with a simple light...

then...win and upgrade to a nano-box....!!

image.jpeg.1cd904333da9ba601302ca97a56c1606.jpeg

Exactly! You have the right idea!

I cant wait to enter once i get home from work! i just placed an order with saltcritters for my big display but now i guess some of the corals will be rehomed :)

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Tamberav said:

Yeah 0.3g isn't even counting the water loss with rock.

I am torn on doing something super small/unique with limited stock or something more 2g range where I can do a mixed reef.

How about 2 gallons - all SPS?  That would be awesome! 

• Like 2
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic